Posted Image

Photo

New Boots For the New Year - but which setup?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,655 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 December 2018 - 06:37 PM

Looking at my current setup I have Hankook on the Fronts (Fitted in February 2016) and After numerous screws in the rears of the Hankook, Conti 6 - I have had Bridgestone 'Pebbles' on the rears (Fitted in July 2017).  The Service and MOT is booked for February and while I have 4mm pretty much all round I think the time is coming soon to change for new boots.

Looking at the Sizes I have two real options.

Conti 6's all round.

Michelin PS 4S on Rear and PS4 on the Fronts

There is a big cost difference between the two setups - about £60 a corner cheaper to have Conti's - but what I have read the wear rate is higher.  That said for a month or two I did have Conti's on the rear and they were very nice - much nicer than the Bridgestone's and Hankook.

So here goes.  Which do I go for?  What's the anticipated wear rate for Michelin (apart from the Clio 182 I have never had PS Tyres on any car).

I might get them fitted while I am off for Christmas - I figured better to have the tread for the winter as it has to do its Winter Duty.  And I know I am miles off the limit, I always feel Tyres and Brakes are the things that keep you out of the ditch. 

Views.  I know there will be a few.

• Chubbs likes this

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete   Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

sml_gallery_123_431_228285.png

#2 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,415 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 December 2018 - 07:08 PM

I can't compare because I've never used Continental (they have a good reputation). All I know is my tyreman has had both MPS4S's and the older MPSS on his BMW M135i and he told me the newer MPS4S's last longer. In general, he rates the MPS4S.

Also, I'm very happy with my configuration -  MPS4S on rear and MPS4 on front.

I just wouldn't buy Bridgestones - ever. Way too hard and unforgiving for a Z.

Hope this helps a little bit.

• LESmo likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#3 Bikeracer1098

Bikeracer1098

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:52 PM

My rears only have a few mm left. Will need then replaced in the next few weeks.

Will be going for MP4S.

Any idea of cost or cheapest supplier?

Will try Costco

#4 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 10:36 PM

This interested me the other day: https://www.evo.co.u...upersport-range

It's a shame they hadn't been out (and used) a little longer, and it probably raises more questions than answers, but they're just a thought . . . :)

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - You'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though - good.

#5 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,655 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 December 2018 - 04:28 AM

My rears only have a few mm left. Will need then replaced in the next few weeks.

Will be going for MP4S.

Any idea of cost or cheapest supplier?

Will try Costco

I was looking at home fit.  So probably not the best price - but I checked through all the options.  Black Circle were the cheapest I could find, I like standing with the guy and keeping an eye on my Alloys.  I used to use Event Tyres for years - but they are gone.  I did use ETyres but they seem to have poor choice now and the Conti's they are offering are the older model.

Fitted for all 4 corners with Tyres on the Drive was £169.99 each for the fronts and £292.99 for the rears each.  So 4 Corners is £925.96.

Black Circle want £163.03 for the fronts and £267.98 for the rears - so £862.02 - so difference of £63.94 (But the garage I want to use seem to be closed all Christmas)

Tyres on the Drive have a price promise - so I will see if I can get the cost down to the same level as Black Circles.

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button.  GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete   Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

#6 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:16 AM

I would not recommend the Conti 6's. I have these and find them really slippy. They seem to take ages to warm up and you get the steering judder on lock. I will be going MP4S next.

• LESmo likes this

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#7 John_K

John_K

Zedlet

• Moderators
  • 774 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:07 PM

big fan of Michelins

MPSSs - on the Black Z, the fronts lasted 30828, and the rears had 25078 on them when I sold it - plenty of tread left

Now have MPSSs on the Nismo, swapped the fronts of the Black Z on to the Nismo, as only had 8298 on them - bought new MPSSs for the rear on 29/9/18

bought via Oponeo, fitted by Ecotyre-services
  • Chubbs and LESmo like this

Black Pearl 2010 (60) 370Z Auto GT Pack Connect Premium - 'Cool Dad'<br>EBC Ultimax (slotted) front discs and Ferodo DS2500 front pads - auf wiedersehen pet
Storm White 2014 (64) 370Z Nismo #376 - the new 'Cool Dad'

#8 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,655 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 December 2018 - 04:58 AM

Thanks for the advice guys.  It have ordered my Christmas Present to the Nismo.  Booked in for next Monday (New Years Eve).  

Got Pilot Sport 4's on the Fronts and Pilot 4 Super Sports for the Rears.  So a matched set of Michelin.  To replace the Hankook on the fronts and the Bridgestones on the rears.  Fitted by a local Garage which seems to have good reviews and deals with American Muscle Cars primarily,  https://www.tasgarage.co.uk/

Fitted - all in £816.52 (When I had Hankooks all round in it was £659.40- so only £157.12 more and I am sure from the comments  I am getting a lot more Tyre for my money - the front Hankooks will have done 3 years and 4 days.  (There is a £40 off deal at the moment for 4 Michelin on Blackcircles code is MICH40)

Which I didn't think was that bad.  Tyre's on the Drive were £925.96 Fitted - that is over £100 difference for driving about 9 miles.  :D  National Tyres were £896.30 - Tyres on the Drive are usually well priced seems not today.  ETyes didn't have Michelin at all in my sizes.  Asda only have the 4's for the rears and fronts and they want £839.52 - so more expensive and not the Super Sports on the Rear.

Looking forward to this change - the exhaust brought the car to life the tyres will be I am sure another evolution.  This is the first time I have ever used Blackcircles and while I could save £10 more by going to their garage which is closer by a couple of miles.  Its in the middle of the A14 works and its not worth it.  I would sooner go to a small garage.

Oh and Conti 6's came in at £789.50 - so a whole £27.02 cheaper for 4 Tyre's than the Michelin.

Good Video explains the difference between the 4 and 4S

• Chubbs, Paul_S, A Pair Of Flabby Wings and 1 other like this

#9 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 11:04 AM

Good choice Les   :thumbsup:

• LESmo likes this
Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev  remap 

#10 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,415 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 December 2018 - 03:58 PM

^^^^^ Agreed.

• LESmo likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#11 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,655 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 December 2018 - 12:33 PM

Well that was a waste of today.  The tyres were not at the Depot.  Not the fitting places fault.  So we are booked in again for Friday afternoon.  In the meantime I will add some more miles to the current combo.  Hopefully have them for next weekend.

#12 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,642 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:39 PM

That's a pain mate.  I hope it gets sorted this weekend.

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#13 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,655 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:56 PM

Well Well Well.....

So I had them fitted this afternoon, took just over 2 hours, which is fine by me, happy to chat away and the engineer take their time.  Pulled away with the resin and 2 degrees they were fairly cold.

Observation is how much less they crash around, impossible to say about the overall grip but the front end is much more pointed on turn in, which is much better, certainly massively less wash out.  And oh so very quiet compared to the Bridgestone Pebbles.

I cannot say how happy I am with these tyres from about 20 miles on them, they are just brilliant.  Love them.  The Hankooks on the front had done just over 3 years so I cannot really complain and about 25,000 miles, that said they were only on 4mm and the rears had done about 10,000 miles and had about 4mm left - but I was hating them so much I needed the change.  Good Price with Blackcircles but I think like all these things its down to the fitters.  

• Chubbs and Paul_S like this