16 replies to this topic

#1 Bikeracer1098

Bikeracer1098

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 05:04 pm

Went to start my 2016 Nismo today after it has been parked up for the past 2 weeks or so and it failed to start, engine turned over slow due to weak battery.
Is the battery included within the 3 year manufacturers warranty?

Thanks

#2 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,653 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 December 2018 - 05:07 pm

I doubt it. But if it's turning the engine, why don't you just charge it up?

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#3 Cray Z

Cray Z

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 05:12 pm

Went to start my 2016 Nismo today after it has been parked up for the past 2 weeks or so and it failed to start, engine turned over slow due to weak battery.
Is the battery included within the 3 year manufacturers warranty?

Thanks

Just charge it. If it holds power then its not faulty.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

#4 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 11,166 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 December 2018 - 06:08 pm

I have left my car for 25 days without starting it every year since 2014 and its started first turn.  Including this year.  I would run a battery tester over it.  Is It not doing many miles.   Have the internal lights been changed for LED without a resistor - if so they stay on very slightly.

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start ButtonGT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete   Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Posted Image

#5 Bikeracer1098

Bikeracer1098

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 06:47 pm

The car has been used daily, however since they started spreading salt on rge roads a few weeks ago I have left the car on the drive.

Would normally use a trickle charger, however if the battery has a 3 year warranty may as well claim for a new battery prior to the 3 year warranty expiring.

Would be gutted otherwise if I had to purchase a new battery a few weeks or months after the warranty expired.

Just wanted confirmation of the battery warranty prior to contacting the dealer.

#6 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 11,166 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 December 2018 - 07:22 pm

Suggests its 3 years warranty on Nissan Batteries

https://www.nissan.c...-batteries.html

Suspect they will want to test it prior to replacement

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start ButtonGT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete   Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Posted Image

#7 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 11:01 pm

Ambient temperature does seem to be an issue for certain Japanese coupe batteries - maybe Nismos are part of that list.  How warm or cold are your Nismos general surroundings day to day when off the road?

Toyota Celica seemed to struggle to last much more than two years unless either used regularly or kept very warm or disconnected (or trickle charged) if not going to be in use for more than a week if much more than a year old.  Some aftermarket batteries were much better.  I had an MR2 from the same era, and it's (non-OEM) battery happily turned the starter motor after two long-ish periods unused (ie six weeks-ish) late Winter.  Another Celica, with an off the shelf battery that must have been at least three and a half years old when I sold it, also started without complaint and without additional charge despite long periods off the road.

I'm not sure how particular Nismos are when it comes to batteries.  Them/those not having stop/start would suggest to me possibly not.   Therefore, unless you have a Nissan dealer conveniently located for you, I might have popped into a decent Motor Factors/independent supplier and taken a battery from them off the shelf.  It might be a cost in the short term, but a saving in the longer term.

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - When you give up driving, you’re not going to look back wistfully on the car you owned with the nicest dashboard top or speaker grilles. You’re going to remember a car for its excitement and how it made you feel.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though.

#8 Bikeracer1098

Bikeracer1098

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 11:09 pm

Thanks, will call my local Nissan dealer tomorrow and hopefully get a replacement under warranty

#9 Ste_ac

Ste_ac

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 11:21 pm

I have left my car for 25 days without starting it every year since 2014 and its started first turn.  Including this year.  I would run a battery tester over it.  Is It not doing many miles.   Have the internal lights been changed for LED without a resistor - if so they stay on very slightly.

That's a very good point. About two years ago my car would start no problem whatsoever even after leaving in the garage for a couple of weeks. I then changed some lights over to Led and it struggled to start if I left for two weeks. I thought it was the cheap battery that was put in from the dealer I bought the car from. Put in a brand new premium battery and have the same result - if I leave for more than 2 or 3 weeks, chances are it will not turn over.
  • LESmo likes this

#10 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 11,166 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 December 2018 - 07:34 am

I always switch the internal lights off when I now go on Holiday just to be on the safe side.  Its only a trickle but after a month I suspect it has a big impact.   As far as I can see its only the internal cabin lights which remain on all the time, the ones in the boot shut off fully. 

Posted Image

#11 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,653 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 December 2018 - 09:08 am

Possibly unrelated to this particular issue, but I wonder if the alternators on some 370's may not be as good as they should be, resulting in the battery not being charged properly. My old 2010 370 had a battery that 'failed' (it kept losing charge), so I got a new battery. After a short while the new one started to lose charge too. However, in the meantime, I'd charged the old 'duff' battery and put it in my campervan. 3 years later and it's fine ...and it's never needed charging, despite the campervan being left unused for weeks at a time. This leads me to think the 370 didn't charge the battery efficiently.

So, don't assume it's the battery that's causing the battery to fail. It may be something else.

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#12 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 10:54 am

I would get the battery tested first as Les says, the dealer will probably test it anyway prior to any claim going through.

The I would get a voltmeter out and check the charging although the 370`s have a voltmeter on the dash so this should give you any early warning signs of insufficient charging.

• Chubbs likes this
Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev  remap 

#13 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,220 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 December 2018 - 12:23 pm

Beware of battery shops where you are a stranger... took mine in and they confirmed new battery required so I bought and they fitted.

Had to go back two days later as terminal on one post was loose (silly little posts on 350Z). They fixed that but I then noticed my old battery (very distinctive) in front of the counter for sale secondhand!
Needles to say they denied it was the same one but couldnt produce my old one in the stack waiting disposal...
  • Chubbs and Paul_S like this

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]

#14 Bikeracer1098

Bikeracer1098

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 09:57 pm

Took the car to Halfords who tested the battery.

They told me the battery needed charging as was indicating 420Ahrs instead of 720Ahrs

Has it on trickle charge for the past 2 days, see if it keeps charge during the next few weeks prior to the warranty expiring on the car.
  • Chubbs and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

#15 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:38 pm

Has your trickle charger got a reconditioning mode on it?  If so, it might be worth giving that a run through asap and then you'll really know that you've done everything you can for it.

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - When you give up driving, you’re not going to look back wistfully on the car you owned with the nicest dashboard top or speaker grilles. You’re going to remember a car for its excitement and how it made you feel.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though.

#16 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,653 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:46 am

I've been thinking (always dangerous). What's the reason for the battery being in this state (there must be a reason). It has to be one or more of the following:

• Leaving the car unused for an extended period of time.
  • Continuous very short journeys.
  • Heavy use of the electrics.
  • Accidentally leaving something switched on.
  • A dodgy connection.
  • A dodgy battery.
  • A dodgy alternator.

You said right at the start that you'd not used the car for 2 weeks, and as it's not uncommon for this to happen to Z cars that have been left while the owner goes on holiday, I'd say this was 'the final straw' in your case. These cars tend to 'comfort-eat' electricity while they're just sitting there doing nothing. But a healthy battery should have survived that period of inactivity.

Do you think any of the other bullet points could be contributory factors?

It might be an idea to get Nissan to check your alternator under warranty, just in case, before it's too late, saying nothing about having left the car for a fortnight, because that shouldn't be relevant, should it?

• LESmo, Gav C and Bikeracer1098 like this

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#17 Bikeracer1098

Bikeracer1098

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 04:49 am

I've been thinking (always dangerous). What's the reason for the battery being in this state (there must be a reason). It has to be one or more of the following:

• Leaving the car unused for an extended period of time.
  • Continuous very short journeys.
  • Heavy use of the electrics.
  • Accidentally leaving something switched on.
  • A dodgy connection.
  • A dodgy battery.
  • A dodgy alternator.
You said right at the start that you'd not used the car for 2 weeks, and as it's not uncommon for this to happen to Z cars that have been left while the owner goes on holiday, I'd say this was 'the final straw' in your case. These cars tend to 'comfort-eat' electricity while they're just sitting there doing nothing. But a healthy battery should have survived that period of inactivity.

Do you think any of the other bullet points could be contributory factors?

It might be an idea to get Nissan to check your alternator under warranty, just in case, before it's too late, saying nothing about having left the car for a fortnight, because that shouldn't be relevant, should it?

Thanks Paul
Prior to this issue the car gets used daily to and from work, 18 miles each way.
Will also get the alternator checked, good thinking.

Otherwise can’t think of anything else,
  • Chubbs likes this