• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 06:12 PM

As I've mentioned before, in May this year I fitted a new aftermarket exhaust to the Zed from the Y-pipe back - therefore the original Y-pipe is still in place. 

The join between the Y-pipe and the new mid-pipe has (possibly) never been completely air- tight.  From time to time when I started the Zed up, if it had been stood for more than a few days and a bit of condensation had formed in the pipework, a small pool of moisture could be noticed under the Zed at the point of that joint.  I put a bit more exhaust paste around the join, and that seemed to cure it, although I have a nagging feeling that the long, dry Summer and the Zed's frequent uses may also have contributed to the lack of condensation forming.

A few weeks ago, I ran the Zed for the first time in five or six weeks and lo and behold a pool of moisture formed under the same place again.  Should I just gum up the joint a little more?  I suspect not.  Should I just replace the gasket with a better one (and gum it up a bit more)?  This option is quite appealing, as I've probably reached the point in life where lying on my back under a car in the garage nearly appeals as little as paying someone else to do it.  Or should I replace the whole Y-pipe?  There are some appealing offers at the moment (the Stillen one particularly), but, for the reason mentioned previously (as a bigger job lying down, etc) this is not quite as appealing, and it's not as if my Y-pipe is in a bad state, as it isn't.

So I find myself in the horns of a dilemma over arguably a simple thing, or perhaps my eyes are just being turned by shiny new metal things.  I'd welcome other opinions, or the opinion of others.

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - You'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though - good.

#2 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 10:59 AM

The location of the Y pipe means you can`t see the shiny new metal bits and as yours is in bad nick I`d disconnect the joint, clean it down and replace the gasket and reassemble with fresh gasket paste.

Just think of the calories you`ll burn off doing the work, it`ll help get rid of that Christmas excess  :lol:

• Paul_S and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this
Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev  remap 

#3 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 02:48 PM

Yes, I think that's the way I'm going. A nice, thick-ish gasket and plenty of paste. But it might wait for a month or two, as I'm in no great hurry to get it back on the road and the other vehicles in the household need a bit more TLC first. Or at least a maintenance wash or two.

There are some tempting Y-pipe offers at the moment though. :rolleyes: :lol:
  • Chubbs and Paul_S like this

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - You'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though - good.

#4 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,642 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 December 2018 - 12:21 PM

Hmmm, new Y pipe! :lol:

This is a nice one to fix at the Members Workshop day whilst the car is up on ramps.  If you can wait until then.

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#5 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 02:44 PM

Yes, I thought that too.

The gasket I might have done at home, but it would be fun to borrow someone's (Tony's :D ) jacks, etc for the Y-pipe. Although it might be a late-afternoon job, as things will need a little time to cool down after a 200-mile drive down.