20 replies to this topic

#1 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:36 AM

I`ve been looking at getting a DA polisher and looking at some of the past threads on here for some inspiration, the blue 3m pads seem to be a favourite along with the blue compound but this can get quite expensive very quickly when added to the dodo juice polisher.

I am taking Les`s advise and going to use the Menzerna pf2400  for the first use as AFIAK it hasn`t been done on my car and although there aren`t any visible swirl marks there are a couple of marks I want to remove.

While I`ve been browsing on Amazon I came across this polisher and it seems to get some good reviews considering the price including the accessorieshttps://www.amazon.c...s+for+cars&th=1

What to you guys think?.

Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev  remap 

#2 Greg Warnes

Greg Warnes

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 4,352 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:32 AM

That looks like a good Buy  :thumbs:

The pads and Polish are where good money should be spent.

• Gav C likes this

If you cant explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

#3 nacnud

nacnud

International Zedlister

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:39 AM

Will give you an update later to-day with the make & comp compound i use! At work now

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk
  • Gav C likes this
John D. B) 

#4 nacnud

nacnud

International Zedlister

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:54 AM

This is the one i use with super results! I keep the job moist with water sprayed on with a plant spray, & also keep the sponge wettish!
different coloured pads, & fine middle & course compounds depending on the extent of the damage! The price is maybe an issue?
The jag i did a few years back & coated it afterwards with a ceramic coating!1b02fcfb23f62307937b4991bd03708d.jpg27c5a4a23a7d5dc0d8911488e4c7083c.jpg

• Chubbs, Alex_C and Gav C like this
John D. B) 

#5 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:31 PM

This is the one i use with super results! I keep the job moist with water sprayed on with a plant spray, & also keep the sponge wettish!
different coloured pads, & fine middle & course compounds depending on the extent of the damage! The price is maybe an issue?
The jag i did a few years back & coated it afterwards with a ceramic coating!1b02fcfb23f62307937b4991bd03708d.jpg27c5a4a23a7d5dc0d8911488e4c7083c.jpg

Yes I think price might be an issue there, this is only for occasional use so it doesn`t have to be a great well built machine, one that will do the job but not needed to stand up to every day use.

The machine in  the Amazon link has a good selection of pads and I wondering whether these will be as good as the 3m pads.

Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev  remap 

#6 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,810 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:44 PM

Hi Mate,

Yes the two I have are:

Medium Cut Polish 2500 (Previously PO203)

Super Finish Plus 3800 (Previously PO85RD)

Both Menzerna

I have a Meguires DA - but the two pads I use are 150mm (6") Soft Buff Foam Cutting Disc and 150mm (6") Soft Buff Foam Finishing Disc.  As the Nissan uses a soft paint.

That said if you have very minor swirls - I have had very good results with Just something like Maguire's Ultimate Compound and the Cutting Disc.   There are fillers such as Krystal Kleen Detail ReGloss Paint Glaze which you have to apply by hand which gives good results prior to Wax and Sealant.  But that does have to be applied by hand.

The Menzerna worked well on the cars I have used it on so far - which are mainly Red and White and its a good value product price wise.  The key is the cutting discs - I have gone conservative as that's better than being brave in my view and it going wrong very quickly.  :lol:

• Gav C likes this
Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start ButtonGT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete   Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Posted Image

#7 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:03 PM

Hi Mate,

Yes the two I have are:

Medium Cut Polish 2500 (Previously PO203)

Super Finish Plus 3800 (Previously PO85RD)

Both Menzerna

I have a Meguires DA - but the two pads I use are 150mm (6") Soft Buff Foam Cutting Disc and 150mm (6") Soft Buff Foam Finishing Disc.  As the Nissan uses a soft paint.

That said if you have very minor swirls - I have had very good results with Just something like Maguire's Ultimate Compound and the Cutting Disc.   There are fillers such as Krystal Kleen Detail ReGloss Paint Glaze which you have to apply by hand which gives good results prior to Wax and Sealant.  But that does have to be applied by hand.

The Menzerna worked well on the cars I have used it on so far - which are mainly Red and White and its a good value product price wise.  The key is the cutting discs - I have gone conservative as that's better than being brave in my view and it going wrong very quickly.  :lol:

Cheers Les, what do you think of the polisher in the Amazon link, or more importantly the accessories? 

#8 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,810 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:20 PM

Hi Mate,

I don't have any experience of it.  Reading the reviews they seem very positive and there seems to be some detailers using them.  The pro's always use Rupes but you are looking at North of £350 for a kit, and that's more than I would spend to be honest as I like you don't use it enough to warrant it.  The backing plate looks like it would take the pads I use as well.  So even if they shipped ones don't last it looks like it will take any number of types.  It seems to be adjustable.  The negative reviews seem to be mainly dead on arrival and there are not many of those, but that happens to any number of things.

Not sure of others views?  But on paper it looks to do the job - as I say I would not pay north of £350 for one.  The sturdy handle looks good.  That seems to be an option though which would separate it from the Pads.

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start ButtonGT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete   Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Posted Image

#9 Davectr

Davectr

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2019 - 12:59 PM

Les, I was bought the one in the ad as a Xmas present. Now, I’ve never used one before, is there any advice you can offer a beginner before I stumble along and do something I regret

#10 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,810 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 January 2019 - 06:44 AM

Les, I was bought the one in the ad as a Xmas present. Now, I’ve never used one before, is there any advice you can offer a beginner before I stumble along and do something I regret

Hi Mate,  

Sorry I noticed this on the train yesterday.  Apologies for the late response.  I was no expert when I started (and probably still am not).  - But I took my time to build confidence.  If you can get a old panel from a scrap yard - Wing etc you can play to your hearts content.  If like me I couldn't - I went conservative with the pads and compound.  The machine should do the work and you don't need to push it down - don't let the pads dry out and start generating dust from the compound.

Usually Mid Speed for Polish and Higher speed for swirl removal, low speed for buffing.  But early on pass frequently and apply less force.  But let the machine do the work.  Everything in your soul will tell you its a bad idea - but you will quickly build your confidence.   

This is a good video

• Davectr, Gav C and Dieselpit like this

Posted Image

#11 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,997 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 January 2019 - 09:04 AM

I'd just like to say Les's skills with a polisher are excellent. He did the lower part of my rear bumper after 13 years of inattention and made it look almost new again.
  • LESmo and Davectr like this

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]

#12 Davectr

Davectr

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:05 AM

Thanks Les, Ill watch that video later. It just so happens Ive got an old bonnet in the shed (as you do 😂) so I can have a play on that first
  • LESmo likes this

#13 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 34,017 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 January 2019 - 12:16 PM

Even I don't have a spare bonnet kicking around!  I could offer to do the neighbours car though... :innocent:

• LESmo and Davectr like this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#14 Davectr

Davectr

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:51 PM

Even I don't have a spare bonnet kicking around! 

Ha ha, Ive got all sorts of car bits everywhere, which the Missus isnt amused at 😂

As pointed out above, I got that DA polisher for Xmas, it came with orange and white pads, a black knobbly pad and a white wool type pad. Ive watched a few vids to see what each different pad is for, but can anyone suggest some compounds and polishes (for a novice) to use with them. Cheers

#15 Dieselpit

Dieselpit

Zedlister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:26 PM

What I can recommend in general are the products from Mezerna, Koch Chemie and even Sonax. I was not happy with 3M although they have a very good anti hologram polish for dark metallic paint.
  • Davectr likes this

#16 Neutreus

Neutreus

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 2,563 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:26 PM

I am taking Les`s advise and going to use the Menzerna pf2400  for the first use as AFIAK it hasn`t been done on my car and although there aren`t any visible swirl marks there are a couple of marks I want to remove.

Hi Gav,

No, I certainly never went that far as to use a polishing tool of any description and don't think the first owner did either to my knowledge :thumbs:

• Gav C likes this
2016 Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - Optional extras: Dynamic pack, black styling pack, Audi sound system, cruise control, reversing camera, advanced key, electric folding body coloured mirrors, electrically adjustable lumbar support and non smokers pack.
2012 Pearl White 370Z GT Edition (manual) - Invidia Gemini catback exhaust with burnt titanium rolled tips, Stillen Gen 3 Intake Kit, UpRev, 15mm Eibach spacers, Satin Black painted bumpers, Black 'Z' badges, removal of GT Edition stripes - GONE TO A NEW OWNER WITHIN THE CLUB BUT WILL BE VERY FONDLY REMEMBERED.
2005 Gun Metal 350Z GT, Alezan Leather & plenty of mods - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

#17 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:23 PM

Hi Gav,

No, I certainly never went that far as to use a polishing tool of any description and don't think the first owner did either to my knowledge :thumbs:

TBH the paintwork is still in really good condition and I can`t see any swirl marks but there are a couple of barely visible marks that i want to tackle and tar spots and contaminants to remove, so it`s time for a weekend of clay bar, polishing etc.  

• Neutreus likes this

#18 Neutreus

Neutreus

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 2,563 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:36 PM

TBH the paintwork is still in really good condition and I can`t see any swirl marks but there are a couple of barely visible marks that i want to tackle and tar spots and contaminants to remove, so it`s time for a weekend of clay bar, polishing etc.  

I can't remember what his name was now (he joined Horsham for a short while) but there was another member who had a Pearl White GT Edition and when we met up at one of the Chilli's MOD days, he actually commented on how much better the paintwork was on my (now your) car. Hopefully, with a bit of elbow grease you'll have it good as new again Gav.

• Gav C likes this
2016 Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - Optional extras: Dynamic pack, black styling pack, Audi sound system, cruise control, reversing camera, advanced key, electric folding body coloured mirrors, electrically adjustable lumbar support and non smokers pack.
2012 Pearl White 370Z GT Edition (manual) - Invidia Gemini catback exhaust with burnt titanium rolled tips, Stillen Gen 3 Intake Kit, UpRev, 15mm Eibach spacers, Satin Black painted bumpers, Black 'Z' badges, removal of GT Edition stripes - GONE TO A NEW OWNER WITHIN THE CLUB BUT WILL BE VERY FONDLY REMEMBERED.
2005 Gun Metal 350Z GT, Alezan Leather & plenty of mods - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

#19 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:53 PM

I can't remember what his name was now (he joined Horsham for a short while) but there was another member who had a Pearl White GT Edition and when we met up at one of the Chilli's MOD days, he actually commented on how much better the paintwork was on my (now your) car. Hopefully, with a bit of elbow grease you'll have it good as new again Gav.

If only the stone chips were as easy to deal with, apart from them and the scratches on the boot lid it still looks great.

#20 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,810 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:47 PM

I can't remember what his name was now (he joined Horsham for a short while) but there was another member who had a Pearl White GT Edition and when we met up at one of the Chilli's MOD days, 

Maddog?

• Neutreus and Alex_C like this

Posted Image