Posted Image

Photo

Best air intake system to give my 35DE some gains?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Speedsuspectz

Speedsuspectz

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 02:02 AM

Happy new year everyone! Gonna be ordering some parts for the Z soon to install for spring time. Anybody got any good feedback on their aftermarket intake systems? Anybody feel any noticeable gains with their install? If so, what set up you got?

#2 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,415 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 January 2019 - 08:31 AM

Happy new year to you too.
I used to have a JWT pop charger. All sellers of aftermarket air intake systems claim that they increase bhp, but these increases are normally insignificant, or non-existent. In fact, some actually have a detrimental effect on performance when they suck hotter air into the system. I just liked the looks of mine. It may have improved the sound very slightly, too.

The only certain way to get increased performance is to install a supercharger or twin turbos, if you can afford it.

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

#3 nacnud

nacnud

International Zedlister

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 January 2019 - 08:45 AM

Some interesting information!

https://www.drifted....z-supercharger/

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk
  • Chubbs likes this
John D. B) 

#4 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,642 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:51 AM

If you change the intakes and exhaust then it's worth getting the car mapped because any gains are usually 'dialed out' by the standard ECU.  Something like UpRev or ECUtek will make the most of what you've got (which isn't a great increase in BHP but some useful torque improvements) and some other little features.

• nacnud likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#5 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:24 AM

Short ram intake filters/kits come in for a bit of criticism on the basis that they suck in warmer (and therefore less oxygen rich) air. I still have my doubts about this, as when the car's moving most of the hot air will be pushed back and away from the filter head. They also make the best noise, and certainly in my experience they tend to make an engine a bit freer revving, which in an atmospheric engine is what you want more than anything - more air is good.

However, the OEM airboxes (particularly from the MY06 onwards) take a lot of beating. I've just got Pipercross panel filters in mine, and am very happy with the noise and the performance.
  • Paul_S likes this

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - You'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though - good.

#6 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,642 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 January 2019 - 12:09 PM

I think you're right about the shorter intakes being OK when the car is moving.  I think the criticism mostly stems from the lack of power having sat at a set of traffic lights and then pulling away.  They probably don't make the gains on a dyno too unless they have some massive fans to cool everything down.

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#7 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 02:43 PM

Absolutely, yes. Arguably they also make the car a little more enjoyable to drive, and to listen to (at low to medium engine speeds, when you can still hear the induction noise over the exhaust noise and the engine noise), which I think is the most important thing.

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - You'll get there when you get there, and that'll be fine. It's a better way to travel, and a much nicer way to live.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though - good.

#8 Greg Warnes

Greg Warnes

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 4,346 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:49 AM

However, the OEM airboxes (particularly from the MY06 onwards) take a lot of beating. I've just got Pipercross panel filters in mine, and am very happy with the noise and the performance.

On the money  :thumbs:

I had a Takeda Short intake on my DE, looked bling but the original airbag with aftermarket panel filter provides better gains with Uprev Tune. Your talking single figure gains though, unless you have deep pockets and go boosted 

• Paul_S and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

If you cant explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

#9 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:51 PM

On the money  :thumbs:

I had a Takeda Short intake on my DE, looked bling but the original airbag with aftermarket panel filter provides better gains with Uprev Tune. Your talking single figure gains though, unless you have deep pockets and go boosted 

Who would have thought that you would get performance gains from airbags  :lol:

• Chubbs likes this
Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev  remap 

#10 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:00 PM

Short ram intake filters/kits come in for a bit of criticism on the basis that they suck in warmer (and therefore less oxygen rich) air. I still have my doubts about this, as when the car's moving most of the hot air will be pushed back and away from the filter head. They also make the best noise, and certainly in my experience they tend to make an engine a bit freer revving, which in an atmospheric engine is what you want more than anything - more air is good.

Don`t forget the radiator sits in the front of the front of the engine bay and any heat it produces will find it`s way to the intakes if they sit downstream.

• Chubbs likes this
Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev  remap 

#11 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:58 PM

I wasn't forgetting.  Most filter positions are going to be in line of some heat, but better the radiator than sitting behind the engine block.  As alluded to above, you can either shield it or hide it away and lose some/most of the induction noise or you can leave it open and take in a bit more heat. Another one of life's trade-offs.

#12 Greg Warnes

Greg Warnes

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 4,346 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:01 PM

One of the good things about the OEM filter box/intake is that being plastic it absorbs less heat keeping the air being drawn through the filter cooler (compared to metal which acts as a heat soak)

• Paul_S and Gav C like this

If you cant explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

#13 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:16 PM

And either way, the filterhead(s) on all twenty-first century Zeds are fairly well to the side of the engine bay and not front and centre.

#14 PaulW

PaulW

Committee Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 7,510 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:10 AM

If your looking for more power the only real solution is forced induction and even then I've seen superchargers make very little gains.

If you want to improve the sound change the intakes on this basis, it's well worth it and you will not tire of the induction roar.

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this

gallery_245_423_13930.png