8 replies to this topic

#1 Joe370Z

Joe370Z

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:33 pm

Im intending to replace my factory fit and rather crusty exhaust system with an Oe system from a Nismo, which is almost new, my question is how would you tackle whats left of this nut? I had thoughts about using a nut splitter. I just wondered if any of you had done this job yourselves and how you went about it.64B42A1B-7E77-417B-B65A-C6DC190C5E6B.jpeg
All 4 nuts are in a similar state.

#2 Cray Z

Cray Z

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:59 pm

Clean it up first with a wire brush on a drill, maybe tap it with a hammer first to shatter the rust, and then soak in penetrating fluid (ideally plus gas) leave for as long as possible and spray again. You can do this over a few days if you have the patience/time.

Then get the correct sized hex socket (not a multi type one) and hammer it on, then insert ratchet, ideally with some sort of pipe or extension on the end to give you leverage, and it should bust loose!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
  • Chubbs, Paul_S and Joe370Z like this

#3 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:34 pm

I'd agree with most of that, but might add that applying quite a lot of heat to the nut (with a blowtorch or similar) can break the seal a bit as one part expands more than the other.

Are you keeping the part that the bolt is attached to (ie the other side of the gasket/join, which I imagine is the mid-pipe)?  If not, then I might have cut it down with an angle grinder or a saw, and then drilled out the remainder of the bolt.  That might make a bit of a mess at the other side (of the mid-pipe), but from the look of it I imagine the other end of the bolt is probably in a similar state at the other side and won't come off without a bit of damage too.

• Chubbs likes this

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - When you give up driving, you’re not going to look back wistfully on the car you owned with the nicest dashboard top or speaker grilles. You’re going to remember a car for its excitement and how it made you feel.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though.

#4 Joe370Z

Joe370Z

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:55 am

Yeah, I was thinking that, looks like a pressed stud to me, and it may not survive.
  • A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this

#5 Kano

Kano

Zedlet

• User (10)
  • 579 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:53 am

Had something similar on my 350z.  The stud was badly corroded, ended up drilling it out and just using a standard bolt in its place, with a good sized washer for support..  

IMG_0711.JPG
IMG_0712.JPG
IMG_0713.JPG

Edited by Kano, 11 January 2019 - 11:01 am.

• Chubbs, Paul_S and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

Peugeot 205 XS : 1995 to 2002

Toyota Celica: 2002 to 2007

Nissan 350z : 2007 to 2017

Ford Ka : 2017 - 2019

Nissan 370z : 2017 - 

#6 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:26 pm

Yes, that's been my experience and practice for a while.  New nuts and bolts and washers also help with a better fit on the new exhaust.

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - When you give up driving, you’re not going to look back wistfully on the car you owned with the nicest dashboard top or speaker grilles. You’re going to remember a car for its excitement and how it made you feel.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though.

#7 Joe370Z

Joe370Z

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:04 pm

I do recall doing this on another car before, looks like it’s going to be necessary here too. God I hate drilling studs out!
  • Alex_C likes this

#8 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:23 pm

Agreed.  But when it's the quickest, easiest way to get an old exhaust off and a much better one on, then it can be massively appealling. :thumbs: :lol:

#9 Joe370Z

Joe370Z

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:07 pm

Just an update, all done and dusted, I did have to cut those press in studs after all, and all kudos to a guy on another Forum for suggesting using a ball joint splitter to drive out those pressed in studs, worked a treat! So I now have an OE nismo exhaust on my GT, true dual with H pipe on the Y. I didnt realise just how different a nismo y pipe is to a stock one, bigger bore and that h pipe and dual pipes, but fits like a glove!

Edited by Joe370Z, 20 January 2019 - 05:19 pm.

• Paul_S, Dave G, A Pair Of Flabby Wings and 2 others like this