Posted Image

Photo

Looking for a Retirement Home (for the Nismo)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,733 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 February 2019 - 08:16 AM

As with all these things, planning for retirement is important and where to live in the twilight years,  I have found this place:

http://www.autocarstorage.com/

£100 a month + VAT does that sound about right?  Eventually the Mini and Nismo will go into retirement (perhaps 2 years time) and with no space to store on the lookout for a close location (no point having at the other end of the country as would never swap the cars).  Its only up the road from Kimbolton where we have the car show.

• vjordon likes this
Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start ButtonGT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete   Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Posted Image

#2 Davectr

Davectr

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 February 2019 - 09:07 AM

Maybe I’m missing something here, but why can’t you keep it at home in the garage?

#3 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,733 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:46 AM

Mini has the Garage.  So I will need to find a new home for it. 

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start ButtonGT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete   Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Posted Image

#4 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,921 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:57 AM

Les. Just been through this process myself (Now 3 cars and only two parking spaces...).

I had seen two likely locations, both a few miles from Exeter. Went to visit one (Location 1) and it was well appointed, two secure and weatherproof units each currently housing 6-10 cars. Also had de-humidifiers. Was 22 miles away so a bit of a round trip for each extract (although if I was going somewhere, could drive up, leave my car, and then straight off). Was also a tad dear....

Location 2 was closer and cheaper. However, not so appealing when viewed. It was a farm unit and there were some fairly sizable hopes on the walls so couldn't be described as weather proof. They also wanted to shunt cars around as required. Lastly there were additional charges for things like trickle charging, moving once a month to rotate tyres, engine warm up runs, etc. It was 14 miles away but on the whole not as professional.

Meanwhile, 3rd car had appeared so needed a quick but temporary fix. Noticed there was a storage place about 1 mile away, which had level access through roller shutter doors. It would take the GT-R with room to spare all round but the entrance width left about 25mm clearance each side when going in or out, even with mirrors folded in. I took it for two weeks (they quoted weekly rates but wanted monthly bookings so I asked for a 14-day trial period and they eventually agreed). I was going to take it out for a wash but chickened out at the prospect through that opening - it needed a second person to double check each manoeuvre! And it was £306.95 +VAT per month! Needless to say it came out after the 14 days.

Whilst it was in there I'd gone back to Location 1 and asked for a lower price. After a couple of conversations, got it down to £80 +VAT per month (£96) and I'd budgeted a max of £100 so was happy. Took it up there yesterday (in the snow - clean when I set off but not when I arrived). They took photos of it arriving (!) and they washed and dried it, put it on trickle charge, all within that price so I felt I'd got a winner.

Car arriving and then in situ awaiting covering:

IMG_56231.jpg IMG_56261.jpg

• LESmo, Paul_S and Alex_C like this
62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

#5 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,733 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 February 2019 - 12:31 PM

Cheers John that's great advice - so about £100 a month is about the right charge then.    22 Miles is about the same as the place I am looking at,  I just think if its too far away it will not get used and that would be a shame.  So you planning to rotate cars in the Summer?

Posted Image

#6 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,921 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 February 2019 - 12:42 PM

Will only bring the GT-R out for events, e.g. Leeds Castle and Workshop Day. Mind you, if I get a good offer for it then it might be something different (Maserati are taking orders for their last ever V8s this month).... Meanwhile, the mileage is cooling....

• LESmo likes this
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress

#7 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,733 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 February 2019 - 01:02 PM

The GT4 is the keeper then John?  We had a Maserati up the road for a few months the noise is amazing.

Posted Image

#8 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,921 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 February 2019 - 01:16 PM

The GT4 is the keeper then John?  We had a Maserati up the road for a few months the noise is amazing.

As long as I can keep the wear and tear at bay!

#9 Chilli Red

Chilli Red

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 22,743 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 February 2019 - 04:40 PM

Are we missing the obvious question or is there another thread about your new baby .....

07765 406665
Infiniti FX 30d  premium - loved it but now gone
QX70d S Design and owner and lovin' it

Check out our - 2014 & 2015 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube

#10 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,921 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 February 2019 - 04:45 PM

There was a bit in my Citycar thread but I'm yet to write my first impressions. It'll probably be my first 1,000 miles 😁
  • Chilli Red likes this

#11 Chilli Red

Chilli Red

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 22,743 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:06 AM

Well good I’m pleased but I was asking LESmo :lol:
  • LESmo likes this

07765 406665
Infiniti FX 30d  premium - loved it but now gone
QX70d S Design and owner and lovin' it

Check out our - 2014 & 2015 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube

#12 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 10,921 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:00 AM

D'oh!

#13 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,733 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:37 AM

Nothing to report at the present time.  Full Focus is on getting rid of the Mortgage and has been for the past 2 years.   But as soon as that is done - its game on  :lol:

Mini will be 7 this October - Zed is 5 years old this March.  So both as daily's will need to be replaced.  Both we want to keep though and not trade in.

I am very much watching the Zed developments, but might fill in with something more practical (keeping the current Zed).  I am interested in what the new Juke will look like at the end of this year and if they will release with a Nismo.  There are lots of good looking SUV's at present on the market - I will be honest I love the Toyota CRV which should also be due a mid life refresh).    The new Honda RAV4 will come out at the end of the year.   Even if it was for 2-3 years until a hopefully new Zed arrived on the market.  

I can see the Zed eventually being a Summer Car and something taking the winter slog.  Like an expensive set of Winter Tyres  :lol:

• dj370zNismo and Chilli Red like this

Posted Image

#14 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,782 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 February 2019 - 03:44 PM

Is there no option to store it at your work Les?

Wherever it ends up I would suggest getting a decent car cover to keep it sparkling.  It's surprising how much dust collects on my 240Z in the garage.  I don't know where it all comes from!

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#15 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,485 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 February 2019 - 04:16 PM

- I will be honest I love the Toyota CRV which should also be due a mid life refresh).    The new Honda RAV4 will come out at the end of the year...

lol I think maybe you've got your brands a**e over t*t there, Les.
  • LESmo likes this

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#16 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,733 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 February 2019 - 04:33 PM

Yep edit that CHR  too many 3 letter cars on the market  :D

• Chubbs likes this

Posted Image

#17 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,782 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 February 2019 - 04:42 PM

Here's a slightly random thought - are there any motor museums in your local area who would look after it for you?  It could be on display (as long as the public can't walk around it obviously) and it would probably be free storage.

The only real downside I can see would be that the it might be hassle getting it in and out when you want to play.

• LESmo and Davectr like this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#18 Davectr

Davectr

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:40 AM

Mini has the Garage.  So I will need to find a new home for it.

Think youve your priorities wrong there 😄
  • Chubbs, dj370zNismo, LESmo and 1 other like this

#19 vjordon

vjordon

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:59 PM

As with all these things, planning for retirement is important and where to live in the twilight years,  I have found this place:

http://www.autocarstorage.com/

£100 a month + VAT does that sound about right?  Eventually the Mini and Nismo will go into retirement (perhaps 2 years time) and with no space to store on the lookout for a close location (no point having at the other end of the country as would never swap the cars).  Its only up the road from Kimbolton where we have the car show.

Sounds like a bargain as I think council garages go for about £65.00 a month around here, and of-course no power.

Vicky x

• Chubbs and LESmo like this

#20 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,733 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:45 AM

Kept searching around and have found this place near Duxford in Cambridge.  Which means 9 miles down the road.  For Cazza its only about 4 miles from the train station she uses. 

http://www.autostore.co.uk/

They have a Garage on site and I have watched a load of the video's the detailing guy does on YouTube.  So a couple of options now.  This place is more expensive than the one near Kimbolton.

• A Pair Of Flabby Wings likes this

Posted Image