Posted Image

Photo

Continental Sport Contact 6 - Anyone running these ?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 moonshine

moonshine

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:17 pm

I'm looking at new tyres at the moment , I dont believe you can get MP4S in both front & rear standard sizes for the 370z 

Ive been looking at the continental Sport Contact 6 which are also working out reasonable 

http://www.tyrerevie...t-Contact-6.htm

The potenzas on the rear fill me with no confidence at all in the cold and wet weather , they are fine in the dry but have had too many brown trouser moments recently when not really pushing on 

Looking for some better performing tyres 

Would love to hear from anyone running these tyres  :D

Edited by moonshine, 03 February 2019 - 07:18 pm.

#2 ProfessorZ

ProfessorZ

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:49 pm

I know Ste_ac on this forum has them on his 370Z.

Hopefully he will see this and comment.

• moonshine likes this

#3 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,711 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:51 pm

Have a look at this thread? - http://forums.nissan...ut-which-setup/

• Paul_S and moonshine like this

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#4 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,583 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:16 am

blobbish runs them currently all round so he will be able to give a good view of them.  I had them on the rears for a month or two they are better than the Bridgestone's.   But Michelin PS4 and PS4S are brilliant - this morning was the first run in the wet since I had them fitted and I could not tell any difference from the dry to be honest simply the nicest tyres I have had on the Zed.

• moonshine likes this

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Current - 2020 (20) Juke Tekna Plus, Gun Metal Grey/Red Contrast, DCT Gearbox, Clever Little Commuter Car

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

#5 Ste_ac

Ste_ac

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:42 pm

I've got the Sport Contact 6 all round.  I have never had Michelin on the car so can't compare.  All I can say is they are a vast improvement over the part worn Falken tyres which felt horrible and twitchy in the wet.

I need new rear tyres at the moment and was going to change to Michelins but they seem difficult to get hold of at the moment.

Edited by Ste_ac, 04 February 2019 - 12:43 pm.

• Chubbs and moonshine like this

#6 blobbish

blobbish

Club IT

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:55 pm

I've had a number of different tyres on the car but the Bridgestones were not on long enough to form an opinion.

My usual tyre of choice was the MPSS but when they decided to retire them I thought I'd try the Continental Sport 6.

I dont like them. They feel very greasy and I have lots of breaks in traction driving in the same way as I did with the MPSS. They are also difficult to read when they are about to give up. I have spun on track a few times when feeling for the limit.

They may be better than the Bridgestones, but there not Mitchelins. This is just my 2pence but I will be going for MPS4S all round next time.

Current - 2009 GTR Premium, Stage 2
Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#7 moonshine

moonshine

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:37 pm

thanks for the replies guys , I had considered the MP4S but the unavailable sizes for the front is a PITA at the moment , I would prefer to stick to standard tyres sizes

I know the MP4S and MP4 are both very good tyres , anyone had any issues with mixing the two front and rear ?

Ive always gone for the same brand and tyre on all 4 corners , hence looking at the continental sport 6 

very interesting feedback so far on the Conti's...

#8 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,583 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:31 am

I have MPS4 on the front  and MPS4S on the Rears and no issues at all. I did a fair amount of research before I went down the road as the front will last 3 years and didn't want the wrong setup - from what I found Its generally considered the MPS4S takes longer to get up to temperature, and on the reviews the tyres were very evenly matched (apart from the temps on track day action and the turn in grip - that said the Track Tyre they do would give even better grip) but on road use there is little difference.  Definitely no issue having different front and rear,   They even look pretty much the same - you would have to search for the S on the rears.

They are definitely quieter than the Bridgestone's, and don't crash around.  We have had a few cold mornings, and while I go steady in those mornings I didn't feel as un-easy as I used to with the Bridgestone's.  That feeling its about to stuff you off the road but not going to tell you when its going to do it.

As aside the Michelin is also a nicer tyre to apply tyre shine too.  Its much smoother and therefore comes up nicer than the Bridgestone, it also has the Alloy edge protection the same as the Bridgestone, I cannot recall the Conti's having it and the Hankook's definitely didn't

Another point for whatever reason I needed a lot less weights with the Michelin than the Bridgestone's and Hankook had a massive amount of weights added.  I know others have a mix - Chubbs also has the same setup.  John_K does and I am sure there are others (apologies for not recalling you if you do).  They can likely give a view as I have really had them for about 700 miles so far.

• moonshine likes this

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Current - 2020 (20) Juke Tekna Plus, Gun Metal Grey/Red Contrast, DCT Gearbox, Clever Little Commuter Car

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

#9 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,711 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:22 am

...I know the MP4S and MP4 are both very good tyres , anyone had any issues with mixing the two front and rear ?...

Mps4 on front and Mps4s on rear.

Last year I had the same reservations as you. Michelin confirmed they had no plans to sell the mps4s in the correct size for our front tyres and told me that the new mps4 would be the most satisfactory alternative.

Bit the bullet. Haven't regretted it once. Pricey but nicey.

If you must have all four the same, Vredesteins have a good rep.
  • moonshine likes this

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#10 David_R

David_R

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:30 pm

Same as the guys above... I've had mine on nearly 8 months and I cant praise them enough. Dry performance is as you would expect, excellent. However, the biggest surprise for me was just how well they perform in the wet and I think they are improving.

Mixing the tyres is certainly not a problem if you go 4 and 4s.  Based on my own experience. 

I was gutted when I got a puncture on one of my 4s rears before christmas. :(

2011 - black 370z the doube D. 2years in and still a solid, fun and reliable car. 

1996 - oxford blue Rover 600 turbo - extremely modified, not that you would ever know it from the outside. My take on the ultimate street sleeper (tarton rug and box of tissues included)

30iBQSG.jpg

#11 moonshine

moonshine

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:44 pm

great response guys , thinking of going for the michelins now 

Anyone had any good deals in the last couple of weeks ?, prices seem to vary week to week

• Paul_S likes this

#12 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:56 pm

I have the MPS4 on the front and MPSS on the rears as there weren`t any MPS4S in the country at the time, they are a better ride than the Vredesteins and have slightly beter grip in low temperatures too.

• Chubbs and Paul_S like this
Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev  remap 

#13 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,711 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:05 am

great response guys , thinking of going for the michelins now 

Anyone had any good deals in the last couple of weeks ?, prices seem to vary week to week

You're right about price fluctuations. I'd say choose your supplier and check back regularly until you see a good price.

I wonder if brexit/29th March/crashing out of Europe/The Painful Death of The UK/The End of Life As We Know It/England as a 3rd World Country/No More Croissants will have any effect on tyre prices/availability (not suggesting you should panic-buy hundreds of tyres, just in case). I wonder if all EU tyres are being requisitioned by the UK Government so they can create a softish border on the island of Ireland?

• Paul_S, milanored and vjordon like this

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#14 Paul_S

Paul_S

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 35,243 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:33 pm

Great info folks! :clap:

I have the MPS4 on the front and MPSS on the rears as there weren`t any MPS4S in the country at the time, they are a better ride than the Vredesteins and have slightly beter grip in low temperatures too.

Now you're making me wonder what to do when my Vreds get a little more warn...  I expect to change them before Run2 this year.

• Gav C likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#15 Kano

Kano

Zedlet

• User (10)
  • 589 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:28 pm

I wouldn't advise anyone to get PS4S on the rear.  I've been looking to get some for the last couple of months and either the prices are ridiculously inflated or they are simply out of stock, as they have been for over the last 3 weeks.

Imagine taking severe tyre damage that needs replacement, a huge nail or vandalism..  You could be looking at a month before being able to source a replacement.  

Michelin have really let themselves down on this tyre, amazing technically but production wise - absolutely appalling. 

Edited by Kano, 22 February 2019 - 12:33 pm.

Peugeot 205 XS : 1995 to 2002

Toyota Celica: 2002 to 2007

Nissan 350z : 2007 to 2017

Ford Ka : 2017 - 2019

Nissan 370z : 2017 - 

#16 moonshine

moonshine

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 05:30 pm

I wouldn't advise anyone to get PS4S on the rear.  I've been looking to get some for the last couple of months and either the prices are ridiculously inflated or they are simply out of stock, as they have been for over the last 3 weeks.

Imagine taking severe tyre damage that needs replacement, a huge nail or vandalism..  You could be looking at a month before being able to source a replacement.  

Michelin have really let themselves down on this tyre, amazing technically but production wise - absolutely appalling. 

Have you been looking at any alternatives Kano?

#17 Kano

Kano

Zedlet

• User (10)
  • 589 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:55 pm

Have you been looking at any alternatives Kano?

I haven't really been looking too much. It's tricky as the ps4s is the best at the minute, so trying to find 2nd best doesn't sit well with me too much.

Lots of choice out there, loads better than the absolute crap oem stones.

Edited by Kano, 22 February 2019 - 08:57 pm.

• Paul_S and moonshine like this

#18 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Members (10)
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 06:33 pm

You might not get quite what you want, but blackcircles hve 10% off all Michelin tyres today (or at least a code to do so).

I haven't looked at 370Z sizes, but they do have Pilot Sport 4 in 18" sizes so it might be worth a look if you're still looking.

• Kano and moonshine like this

#19 Kano

Kano

Zedlet

• User (10)
  • 589 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:03 pm

Here's a very interesting vid comparing the Pilot Sport 4 and the 4S.  For average fast road driving, is seems the 4 is pretty much as good as the 4S.  The 4S is the better tyre if you're pushing hard, but if not I don't see any reason to go for the 4S over the 4.  

Also, this video "very little difference"

https://youtu.be/QseDx-aBaK4?t=160

When you consider the 4 is only £183 for the rear at camskill, against anywhere between £233 and £300 for the 4S when you can find it in stock, its pretty clear for most people the 4 is the better choice over the 4S.

• Chubbs, Paul_S, A Pair Of Flabby Wings and 2 others like this

#20 Kano

Kano

Zedlet

• User (10)
  • 589 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:32 pm

You might not get quite what you want, but blackcircles hve 10% off all Michelin tyres today (or at least a code to do so).

I haven't looked at 370Z sizes, but they do have Pilot Sport 4 in 18" sizes so it might be worth a look if you're still looking.

Cheers! Used that offer to buy two rear 275/35/19 Y100 Pilot Sport 4 tyres for £386 fitted!  £190 each plus £6 extra for mobile fitting.  Considering the cheapest I could find the 4S was £233, unfitted and excluding delivery, it's a bit of a steal!

What made me choose the 4 over the 4S was the balance between the reduced cost and the reduced performance.  You're looking at 25-30% less cost for 3% less performance.  

Edited by Kano, 25 February 2019 - 07:32 pm.

• Chubbs, A Pair Of Flabby Wings, Gav C and 2 others like this