82 replies to this topic

#1 370zgt331

370zgt331

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:54 PM

My car lets me open the doors with the fob and also keyless yet when you get in the car there's a symbol of a yellow key on the display. Its not recognizing the key and start/stop button is in lock position and wont move from that. I would appreciate help with this matter.

#2 ProfessorZ

ProfessorZ

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:04 PM

The only thing I can think of is does the battery for the key fob need renewing?

#3 370zgt331

370zgt331

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:06 PM

I put a new battery in it today also the spare is not being detected yet I can use both fobs to lock and unlock the car

#4 ProfessorZ

ProfessorZ

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:23 PM

Are you using a good quality make of battery because I remember that can make a difference.

#5 370zgt331

370zgt331

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:29 PM

It's definitely not the battery. Ive just been on YouTube and apparently its a common problem with the 370z and other keyless start nissan motors. They say that its the steering lock module and some how I have to take the fuse out once I can get it out of lock

#6 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 10,852 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:32 PM

Paul_S can likely help with this/provide advice. 

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start ButtonGT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete   Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Posted Image

#7 370zgt331

370zgt331

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:48 PM

I not sure if he's on tonight

#8 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 34,168 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:12 PM

Sorry mate, but it does sound like you've got a steering lock failure.

You might be able to get the car going by tapping the steering lock with a screwdriver repeatedly as you press the starter.  In its current state, the car can't disengage the steering lock and will not allow you to start it.  Jolting the lock can help it to disengage so you can get the car moving, but don't reply on it working every time.

You can pull the fuse to prevent the lock being activated, but if it's failed then pulling the fuse will not work.  You have to do that when the lock isn't in a failed state.

Nissan did a voluntary service campaign to change these locks some years ago, but unfortunately the replacements seem to be failing again now (very often in the colder months).  You can try Nissan Customer Services to negotiate a replacement but from what we've seen on here some people get a better deal than others.  I hope you're one of the lucky ones.

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#9 paul_k

paul_k

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:18 PM

Known warranty problem on 09 and 10 Z, GTR murano etc
My old GTR was replaced under warranty.
On the GTR push and pull the telescopic steering adjustment against the end stops can jar it back to life.
  • Paul_S likes this
2016 GT-R Recaro Black. Stage 1 engine and gearbox remap epic!

No 1 GT-R Black Black from Marshalls. Helmet signed by Mizuno...
Paul_S Reversing Camera - Sold.

Sept 01 2004 Z GT gunmetal Alezan gone but not forgotten

#10 370zgt331

370zgt331

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:19 PM

Thanks you for the reply Paul. I will give it a go by tapping it tomorrow and see if it will go to acc or on position. If I succeed with that, I will then remove the fuse. I've been looking at YouTube for the past hour and on this topic and its a question of getting it to power up to acc or on position but not much information on that
  • Paul_S likes this

#11 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:38 AM

I think you'll struggle to get any YouTube videos of getting it back to life, as its not a guaranteed solution that will fix for all.

You can only do what Paul_S has suggested. Some people warm the column with a hair dryer and continually tap it to see if the mechanism will work that one last time. Some are successful many are not.

If you cant get it started you'll need it to be towed and at this point you need to haggle with both Nissan, and the garage you choose to take it to as prices range from £1584 to £734 depending on if there is 'computer glitch' or not. When I looked at this the part itself from Japan was only £411 plus shipping and import tax.

My advice. If it has failed shop around.

• Chubbs likes this
Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#12 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,637 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:12 AM

Look at this video for a fix? Seems very similar to your problem...

There is also this thread - http://forums.nissan...-lock/?p=407545

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#13 370zgt331

370zgt331

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:31 AM

Thank you for that. I will give it a go on Saturday as work is preventing me from attempting anything at present. Its a good job that I have a run around or I would be in major problems. I have also opened a case with nissan uk asking to replace the module at their expense. Lets just see what happens.

#14 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:41 AM

As you have time, due to having a run around, you should be able to push this with Nissan.

Good luck, and keep us informed.

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#15 Dave G

Dave G

Zedlet

• Members (10)
  • 392 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:41 PM

Sorry to hear this chap.  If it is indeed your steering lock (all things point to that fact) then I hope you manage to get it sorted out for a reasonable cost if you go that route.  As others have mentioned, the cost of the fix has varied a lot.

It's got me thinking, has anyone got a failed steering lock that they've taken apart to see if they can identify the root cause of the problem?  Just googling the issue and of course there are lots of threads on pulling fuses etc.  However, it looks like a fairly crude mechanical device.  Not got a lot of time to research now (on lunch at work) but I would imagine the units could be repaired?  Of course there's the risk of something happening while you are driving which may lock up the steering if the repair wasn't good.  It's up to individuals to decide on the risk.

As you have a run about to use then if you're handy with spanners then you could try to fix it...?

Some photos on here of the inside (I've not opened them yet as not registered on this site (yet))

http://www.the370z.c...tml#post1626521

Food for thought...

#16 370zgt331

370zgt331

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:55 PM

I will give nissan customer services until Friday and if no joy then will try and tackle the car on Saturday. Judging from the information that I've got from YouTube and on the net, I hope it's not too stressful. I'm really stressed at present with this issue as I'm at work and don't have much time to do much☹☹☹

#17 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,637 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:32 PM

If you read the following post by Paul_S you may be able to see if the part number on your steering lock module falls within the scope of the free recall initiated by Nissan some years ago. - http://forums.nissan...nt-from-nissan/

If your part is one of the original batch of faulty units, it would strengthen your case for a free repair.

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#18 dolalibe31

dolalibe31

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:11 PM

Pour moi c'est le bloqueur de direction beaucoup de 370z ont le problème je les eu sur la mienne modèle 2010 cabriolet (Allemagne)problème en juin 2018 pris en garantie par Nissan (problème connu),pour te dépanner il faut taper dessus avec un maillet pour le débloquer une fois débloqué tu retires le fusible (48)sous le capot moteur.
  • Chubbs likes this

#19 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,637 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:08 PM

Pour moi c'est le bloqueur de direction beaucoup de 370z ont le problème je les eu sur la mienne modèle 2010 cabriolet (Allemagne)problème en juin 2018 pris en garantie par Nissan (problème connu),pour te dépanner il faut taper dessus avec un maillet pour le débloquer une fois débloqué tu retires le fusible (48)sous le capot moteur.

He's saying hit it with a hammer and then remove the fuse. He had the issue last June on his 2010 model - and I think it was done by Nissan 'under warranty', as a known problem.

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#20 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 34,168 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:23 PM

I would record a short video on your phone showing the fault before you 'fix' it.  Just so there is some evidence of the warning light and the failure to start.

Good luck mate.  I hope you can get it moving again.  You've had a lot of good advice :)

• Chubbs likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY