• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,985 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:48 PM

From my point of view I wouldn't call it enthusiasm.  The prospect of it fills me with dread sometimes, but it is a necessary evil and not doing it would cause more issues so the cycle continues.  But, as you say, the results are usually worth it.  Even if, sometimes, they alas don't last very long.

Although the more you do it the easier it tends to be.  I got out of practice a bit in the wet Summer and Autumn of 2012, and it took me a while to get my groove back.

• ChasGFL likes this

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - ". . . vigorously shakes out all your loose change and sends you hyperventilating on your way".
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though - good.

#42 Jbiggz

Jbiggz

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:58 PM

The day with meguiar's really set it off for me, previous to that day I washed the car because I just didn't like seeing it dirty. I was also never too happy with the results after every wash either, the paintwork was in a sorry state before meguiar's. The paint felt rough when cleaning and drying. Now I have some knowledge of how to clean it properly it has become less of a chore and more of an enjoyment. It does get easier the more often you do it and even more so if the paint is in good nick with some good wax on it. I might wax it a little too often but it can't harm anything and makes cleaning rather easy as the wash mitt glides over the paint, as does the drying towel  ^_^ Talking of mission accomplished by meguiar's my dad bought a DA following the detail and i'll be pinching that sometime soon for more compounding and polishing. B)

• Chubbs, Paul_S, Dave G and 1 other like this

#43 Dave G

Dave G

Zedlet

• Members (10)
  • 392 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:53 PM

Maybe I'm odd, but I rather like detailing.  My issue is finding the time to do it.  I love the satisfaction of looking at the freshly polished (or waxed) Zed even if it will look like cr@p after one drive.  Plus, the more layers of polish, the better the paint protection from further crud and UV.

My next adventure in detailing will be DA polishing/cutting...one day...

• Chubbs, Paul_S, A Pair Of Flabby Wings and 3 others like this

#44 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,985 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 02:46 PM

I've been thinking about a DA polisher for a while now, but after buying that EZ filling glaze I don't think I'll bother. A light hand polish once in a while - to make the colour stand to attention a bit more - and a bit of compound for any more major emergencies, but the glaze seems to fill in what half a dozen polish passes couldn't hide. And hopefully might cut down the need for future polishes.

Again, I think we've all got more in common than we perhaps realise. I love a bit of detailing - particularly the results, the long-term benefits and the fact you can choose how long you want to spend - but I could also think of a million and one better things to do. Similarly with a full wash though as I can usually make that take a whole day, by the time I've dried in all the nooks and crannies (including as far as I can reach into the engine bay with a quick detailer and a cloth).

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - ". . . vigorously shakes out all your loose change and sends you hyperventilating on your way".
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though - good.

#45 ChasGFL

ChasGFL

Zedlet

• Committee Member
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 February 2019 - 05:25 PM

I definitely need to change my mindset on this as I know there are certainly some more long term benefits, but it might take a while, it's never been part of my psyche in all the years I've owned a car.

• Paul_S and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

#46 milanored

milanored

Zedlet

• Committee Member
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 06:15 PM

I definitely need to change my mindset on this as I know there are certainly some more long term benefits, but it might take a while, it's never been part of my psyche in all the years I've owned a car.

I was the same as you sir spend a bit of time with Les and Jeff and it rubs of on you. I won't ever be as intense as this pair but I have learnt alot and now polish the car and kind of like it

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
  • Paul_S and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

#47 Jeff-W

Jeff-W

Events/OCDT

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 February 2019 - 07:27 PM

Jbiggz, a belated welcome from me - I'm the Jeff mentioned above - and proud to have been diagnosed with full-blown Z-detailing - itis. LESmo and I (the Owners' Club Detailing Team, or OCD T for short) have used DA polishers for a while now and will be offering free advice, demos and owner-practicals at Mod Day in Chobham, Surrey on 20 April.  I know this is a long way to travel for you, but it is a great chance to put faces to forum names, for you to share your Meguires knowledge with us and for our various subject experts to answer any Z questions you may have. We would love to meet you!

See the Mod Day thread in the Events section for more detail. I notice that APOFW is driving down from Yorks .........

Again, welcome to the forum. With such serious affection for the Z, possibly you might consider membership here so you can enjoy the rest of the forum?

Jeff-W

• Paul_S, Dave G and vjordon like this
Fred I - 350Z 2007 Gunmetal. 6 CD changer, full leather, reverse sensors. SOLD.
Fred II - 370Z GT 2011 Gunmetal. Premium connect. GT spec. Seriously un-modified. See-through windows, and a wheel at each corner. Sold 13 July 14. Gone.
Fred III - 2014 facelift 370GT. Magma red. Reversing sensors. Invidia Gemini CBE. Sold 2 April 2016.
Fred IV - 2016 Daytona Blue 370Z GT. Reversing sensors. K & N panel filters. Invidia Gemini CBE. Full front wrap - Ventureshield II.

#48 Jbiggz

Jbiggz

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:37 AM

Hello and thanks for the welcome Jeff. Unfortunately I can't attend the Surrey meet up, I'll be on a canal boat somewhere in Cambridgeshire. I doubt my missing knowledge will be noticed haha

As far as the membership goes I'm close to pulling the trigger on it but I'm here to meet more z owners and everyone looks to be from the south other than apofw of course.

#49 vjordon

vjordon

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:00 PM

Maybe I'm odd, but I rather like detailing.  My issue is finding the time to do it.  I love the satisfaction of looking at the freshly polished (or waxed) Zed even if it will look like cr@p after one drive.  Plus, the more layers of polish, the better the paint protection from further crud and UV.

My next adventure in detailing will be DA polishing/cutting...one day...

If your that keen Dave you can detail mine for me.

Vicky x

• Dave G likes this

#50 vjordon

vjordon

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:01 PM

Hello everyone,

Joined the group because it seems more active in meets than 350z-uk. Had my Z just over a year and loving it. The summer just gone I won a competition for a quite a few car parts, so now it's modded I'm ready to get it on some club stands this summer. Is there anyone on here from Yorkshire? Looking forward to meeting some fellow petrolheads. Cheers!

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20190209-014243__01.jpg

Looks like I missed this post too !!

It's a welcome from me too.

Vicky x

#51 Dave G

Dave G

Zedlet

• Members (10)
  • 392 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:29 PM

If your that keen Dave you can detail mine for me.

Vicky x

Cheeky!!!

• vjordon likes this

#52 Gav C

Gav C

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:09 PM

Hi Jbiggz, welcome to the forum, although I am a little late in catching this as also.

I`m from Yorkshire, a little further north in Leeds. There aren`t many Zed owners up here though there are a couple more than when I first got mine. I suspect there is another Black Edition owner around as i saw it quite a few times over the last year and a half but not seen since last summer.

• vjordon likes this
Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev  remap