87 replies to this topic

#1 Neutreus

Neutreus

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 2,774 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 February 2019 - 02:18 pm

Thought I'd kick off the annual commencement of F1 gossip and debate.

So .......... Day 1 of testing today and Williams have already announced that their car won't be ready until Wednesday at the earliest (ergo missing 25% of total pre-season testing minimum). Very sad news for them. And to make matters worse, insiders are reporting that the car is slower than last years at the moment, a purported 2 seconds a lap off the top guys.

Not much else to report thus far other than a couple of livery changes and Sauber now being Alfa Romeo (read: Ferrari junior team)

• Chubbs and Paul_S like this

2011 Gunmetal Nissan GTR Premium Edition - Litchfield Stage 1, Miltek Y-Pipe, Alcon Discs, Ferodo DS2050 Pads
2016 Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - APR Stage 1 tune with High Flow air filter and Secondary Decat Pipes - I'LL MISS THE POPS AND BANGS (BUT THE NEIGHBOURS WON'T)
2012 Pearl White 370Z GT Edition - Invidia Gemini catback exhaust with burnt titanium rolled tips, Stillen Gen 3 Intake Kit, UpRev, 15mm Eibach spacers, Satin Black painted bumpers - GONE TO A NEW OWNER WITHIN THE CLUB BUT WILL BE VERY FONDLY REMEMBERED.
2005 Gun Metal 350Z GT, Alezan Leather & plenty of mods - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

#2 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,667 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:07 pm

Feel very sorry for Williams and very interested to see how Leclerc/Vettel plays out.

• Neutreus likes this

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#3 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:56 am

First week of testing has produced some interesting results.

Looks like Renault are going to be much stronger this year, and I'm pleased that, although late to testing, Williams posted some good test laps.

I think this year may be something to watch.

Current - 2009 GTR Premium, Stage 2

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#4 PaulW

PaulW

Committee Member

• Administrators (10)
  • 7,646 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:59 pm

To soon to say but lots of reliability right across the field and all seem to be able to do a time when they want so this could be a cracker of a season. Imagine Mercedes fighting for 6th with Renault and Toro Rosso locking out the front two rows of the grid :D

gallery_245_423_13930.png

#5 Neutreus

Neutreus

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 2,774 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:18 pm

Have to admit that although my interest in F1 isn't what it used got be, I'm looking forward ot this season. Could be a belter!

2011 Gunmetal Nissan GTR Premium Edition - Litchfield Stage 1, Miltek Y-Pipe, Alcon Discs, Ferodo DS2050 Pads
2016 Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - APR Stage 1 tune with High Flow air filter and Secondary Decat Pipes - I'LL MISS THE POPS AND BANGS (BUT THE NEIGHBOURS WON'T)
2012 Pearl White 370Z GT Edition - Invidia Gemini catback exhaust with burnt titanium rolled tips, Stillen Gen 3 Intake Kit, UpRev, 15mm Eibach spacers, Satin Black painted bumpers - GONE TO A NEW OWNER WITHIN THE CLUB BUT WILL BE VERY FONDLY REMEMBERED.
2005 Gun Metal 350Z GT, Alezan Leather & plenty of mods - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

#6 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,081 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:13 pm

Very disappointed to see than Karun has moved to the evil SKY corporation :(

• Chubbs likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#7 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,417 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 February 2019 - 06:52 am

Even more so that at the moment Ted seems to have disappeared from Sky.  you only have to search on twitter #Wherested its been trending for the past day or so since he didn't turn up at the first test last week and no one has heard from him.

https://www.change.o...o-sky-sports-f1

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

#8 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,417 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 February 2019 - 07:02 am

I wonder if Williams Chief Technical Officer Paddy Lowe is still in charge at Australia.  I have no idea what happened when they came to bolt the car together.  But it wasn't good for them or their new sponsor to miss so much track time.  Drivers handled themselves well in public.

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

#9 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,389 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2019 - 08:19 am

Found this a very interesting read this morning: https://www.bbc.co.u...rmula1/47422390

Not 2019 but looks like 18" wheels for 2021...
  • Chubbs and Neutreus like this

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]

#10 Neutreus

Neutreus

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 2,774 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:03 pm

I'm hoping that the racing will be a lot closer with all of the changes discussed in that article (good read by the way, thanks John) but I'm still skeptical about what of these changes will go through (escpecially budgetary ones) bcause if Ferrari and Mercedes start making threats, do Liberty Media have the cohonas to say "there's the door then" and make the changes anyway?

#11 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:21 pm

There are 3 issues that need to be rectified.

1. Scrap the £100m annual bonus and rule veto that Ferrari get for competing. Although I think this is due to end in 2020

2. Scrap this stupid idea on having one off circuits in areas that have little to no F1 interest and concentrate on the historic circuits that have full capacity

3. Bring F1 out of PPV as interest will drop dramatically and the future F1 generations will instead be tuning into other series. This also pays into point 2

The speeds shown by the teams this year is encouraging even if there is still a little unknown on the top cars actual speed. What testing did show is that the lower teams are much quicker and should be more reliable this year. But until we get them racing we have no real idea how down force, power gains and reliability will actually pan out. 

• Neutreus likes this

Current - 2009 GTR Premium, Stage 2

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#12 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,389 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 March 2019 - 02:09 pm

So... This year will see 1 driver's point for fastest lap per GP. Sounds good to me.

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]

#13 Neutreus

Neutreus

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 2,774 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:36 pm

So... This year will see 1 driver's point for fastest lap per GP. Sounds good to me.

Really? I hadn't seen that. Is that at any point in the GP? If it is, I always thought they wanted to avoid that to stop people pitting with 3 laps to go and just smashing in the laps on fresh tyres (and could end up with an Ocon and Verstappen ala Brazil moment again)

#14 John_K

John_K

Zedlet

• Moderators
  • 909 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:15 pm

I understand that the point is only awarded if they also finish in the top ten.

Should throw up some interesting last points scoring place battles, or even inter team battles (eg Vettel leading, Le Clerc 2nd but with the fastest lap point, could Vettel resist?...and then bin it on the last lap?)
  • Chubbs and Neutreus like this
Black Pearl 2010 (60) 370Z Auto GT Pack Connect Premium - 'Cool Dad'
EBC Ultimax (slotted) front discs and Ferodo DS2500 front pads
- auf wiedersehen pet
Storm White 2014 (64) 370Z Nismo #376 - the new 'Cool Dad'

#15 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Members (10)
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:52 pm

It does bring up a wonderful tactical dilemma.  There are certain drivers who, over the last ten years, have been very good at banging in a very fast lap towards the end of a race, even when quite forcefully asked not to by their engineer.  At least now there is a more tangible reward for doing so.  However, is that reward and the benefit the extra point might bring at the end of the season going to encourage drivers to push a little too far in the latter stage of a race? 

As the season progresses it will be good to see whether that extra point encourages a few drivers to push too hard and throw away the points they would otherwise have won.  It might also prolong the championship battle, with 26 points potentially available.

I like the idea a lot, even though part of me is thinking the word "gimmick".  If it prolongs the season then I will not think that any more.

#16 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Founding Member (10)
  • 16,667 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:45 am

If a point had been awarded for fastest lap at our Milton Keynes Karting Meet* last year, at least I'd have left with a point in the pocket. :happy2:

This may have eased the long-term pain of my catastrophic spin in the middle of the race (yes, the memory still hurts)

F1? Who needs it when you've got a kart?

*If you want to try to beat me, sign up for this year's event (on Sat the 23rd March 2019) - LINK - There are still a couple of spaces for drivers. Think y'er 'ard enough??? Scared to take on a pensioner??? Eh??? Eh???

• Paul_S likes this

Posted Image

A to Zee to B

#17 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,417 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:03 am

Nascar do points for Lead Laps,  Points for leading in the three segments (the race is split into three) as well as points for leading most laps.  Splitting the race up into segments forces mini races inside races.  For long (up to 6 hour races).  It does add another tactic.

#18 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,081 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 March 2019 - 09:18 am

If a point had been awarded for fastest lap at our Milton Keynes Karting Meet* last year, at least I'd have left with a point in the pocket. :happy2:

This may have eased the long-term pain of my catastrophic spin in the middle of the race (yes, the memory still hurts)

F1? Who needs it when you've got a kart?

*If you want to try to beat me, sign up for this year's event (on Sat the 23rd March 2019) - LINK - There are still a couple of spaces for drivers. Think y'er 'ard enough??? Scared to take on a pensioner??? Eh??? Eh???

This is true.  I heard it's part of the reason that Hamilton gave up karting and moved into F1 - too much competition...

• Chubbs likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#19 Neutreus

Neutreus

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 2,774 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:19 pm

It will be interesting to see if they are allowed to push in the last few laps because don't forget that those engines have to last a long time now and a couple of 'qualifying' laps toward the end could put stress on the engine and cause penalties for replacement parts. Oh, the conundrum!

• Chubbs and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

#20 Alex_C

Alex_C

Zedling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:09 am

Sad news this morning on the eve of the season :(

https://www.bbc.co.u...rmula1/47564762

2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate - Daily commuting tardis!
2016 Nissan Squishsquash -  The economical runabout!
1965 VW Beetle - (Very) Long-term Project Car!
2007 Audi RS4 Avant - 400hp load lugger!
2004 Nissan 350z - How can I squeeze another car on my driveway?!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Formula 1