#61 Neutreus

Neutreus

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 2,746 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:28 pm

2011 Gunmetal Nissan GTR Premium Edition - Litchfield Stage 1, Miltek Y-Pipe

2016 Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - APR Stage 1 tune with High Flow air filter and Secondary Decat Pipes - I'LL MISS THE POPS AND BANGS (BUT THE NEIGHBOURS WON'T)
2012 Pearl White 370Z GT Edition - Invidia Gemini catback exhaust with burnt titanium rolled tips, Stillen Gen 3 Intake Kit, UpRev, 15mm Eibach spacers, Satin Black painted bumpers - GONE TO A NEW OWNER WITHIN THE CLUB BUT WILL BE VERY FONDLY REMEMBERED.
2005 Gun Metal 350Z GT, Alezan Leather & plenty of mods - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

#62 1FHL

1FHL

Zedlet

• Committee Member
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:48 am

If LH gets a Knighthood then I'm going to vomit...

Off the circut he is one of the most devious and horrible people I have ever met. Ever.  :rant:

On the circuit he drives a robotic car around tracks designed for (all) the cars, he will never be in the league of the real greats who actually drove, such as Jim Clarke.

I gave up on F1 when it became a parade, have seen a couple of "highlight" shows, and wonder even if they are in breach of any "description of goods" acts  :P

Nissan 370z "Zoe" Roadster "1 FHL" - Porsche "Maddie" Macan 3.0dS - MIni "Tommy" Coupe JCW "2 FHL"

#63 milanored

milanored

Zedlet

• Committee Member
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:25 am

Get your sick bag ready Frankie you will need it, i am old enough to remember the good old days of Mansell, Senna and Prost to name a few and what a era that was and F1 was worth watching, of course i am not as old as you as i do not remember Jim Clarke  :P

#64 Neutreus

Neutreus

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 2,746 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:30 pm

If LH gets a Knighthood then I'm going to vomit...

Off the circut he is one of the most devious and horrible people I have ever met. Ever.  :rant:

On the circuit he drives a robotic car around tracks designed for (all) the cars, he will never be in the league of the real greats who actually drove, such as Jim Clarke.

I gave up on F1 when it became a parade, have seen a couple of "highlight" shows, and wonder even if they are in breach of any "description of goods" acts  :P

I personally disagree with that, but that is fine, we all have our own opinions. I think he is one of the all time greats and being British is a bonus, you don't win 6 World Championships without skill and dedication.

I will agree that the racing isn't what it used to be - let's just hope for those of us that still watch it, that the rule changes in 2021 bring closer racing and with more teams competing.

I also think you may need that sick bag Frankie  :sick:   :bleh:

2016 Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - APR Stage 1 tune with High Flow air filter and Secondary Decat Pipes - I'LL MISS THE POPS AND BANGS (BUT THE NEIGHBOURS WON'T)
2012 Pearl White 370Z GT Edition - Invidia Gemini catback exhaust with burnt titanium rolled tips, Stillen Gen 3 Intake Kit, UpRev, 15mm Eibach spacers, Satin Black painted bumpers - GONE TO A NEW OWNER WITHIN THE CLUB BUT WILL BE VERY FONDLY REMEMBERED.
2005 Gun Metal 350Z GT, Alezan Leather & plenty of mods - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

#65 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:30 pm

For doing his day job, I would agree Neil. However personally out side of his work life I think there are some skeletons protected by....... whats the word .......Super injunctions 

Current - 2009 GTR Premium, Stage 2

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#66 Neutreus

Neutreus

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 2,746 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:23 pm

For doing his day job, I would agree Neil. However personally out side of his work life I think there are some skeletons protected by....... whats the word .......Super injunctions 

I always think there's a danger judging a celebrity by what's in the Media etc but granted, where there is smoke, often there is fire. And yes, I was talking about what he does on track, you don't have to like him but you have to respect what he's done. :drive1

#67 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,338 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:06 pm

https://www.bbc.co.u...rmula1/50284865
  • Neutreus likes this

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]

#68 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 6,335 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:50 pm

Blimey, haven't we got talkative all of a sudden.  That's nearly as much a surprise as LH leaving McLaren at the end of 2013.  :lol:

Unless he's declined the honour in the past, I expect he will get a knighthood very shortly; his sporting success plus his recent - and very right-on - comments on veganism and the environment are pressing all the right buttons that the royals and the yes-men who make the honours decisions nowadays are looking for.  I'm no fan of the honours system, and it's not going to change that.

Like Frankie, I'm also far from LH's biggest fan, largely on account of his passive aggressiveness and the good fortune that seems to follow him round at the moment.  You could argue that with all his experience he makes his own luck, and that would be a fair point, but it doesn't make him any more appealing. I preferred him in his last few years at McLaren, as he wasn't so obviously on top and in the best machinery.

As for modern-day F1, it is not always the finest spectacle if you're not really into it.  Some of the races are still very good, and some this year have been extremely good, if not necessarily always at the front.  However, if you can take an interest in some of the other aspects of it - be it the politics of it, or the technical side, or the strategy, or even just as a guide how to drive quickly and smoothly (or not) - there's always something there to reward continued interest.

• milanored likes this

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - When you give up driving, you’re not going to look back wistfully on the car you owned with the nicest dashboard top or speaker grilles. You’re going to remember a car for its excitement and how it made you feel.

2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though.

#69 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,365 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:31 am

He is one of the best drivers the UK has ever had.  His name will be in the History books, He makes few mistakes and stays mainly out of trouble.  So in that sense he is and will be a legend.

Still doesn't make me a fan and I much prefer Lando Norris - his personality, he is humble and he seems grateful to be where he is and enjoys it.  I welcome the resurgence of McLaren and if we can just get Williams back that would be world order restored.

Just as I always preferred Jenson.  Lewis says he is humble but I never really believe it.  Doesn't escape from the fact he is a brilliant driver.  Just not someone I can connect with,  Strange as when he arrived in F1 I was his biggest fan.

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

#70 milanored

milanored

Zedlet

• Committee Member
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:24 am

Would you say he is one of the best racing car drivers you have seen or the best person to point the best car in the Right direction at the moment. Could he drive a worse car and achieve the same results with skill like others have done. Maybe the sport has just moved on certainly a interesting topic and if the F1 owners want to make it more appealing to the masses again next year's changes will make no difference again

#71 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 6,335 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:08 pm

I tend to agree with both of you, and preferred Jenson and now prefer Lando - he seems like a fairly good egg, despite being a very rich man's son.

As for John's question, I think we'll all agree that it's been a very long time since a driver with a second-rate car could regularly finish on the podium, no matter how good it might be. Look at Alonso at McLaren, Schumacher at Mercedes, etc, etc. The only way really good drivers can really shine nowadays - or for the last twenty years probably - is if they can can take a car that is relatively uncompetitive one weekend and finish higher than expected. Hamilton, and Mercedes, I suppose is/are unfortunately very good at doing just that.

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - When you give up driving, you’re not going to look back wistfully on the car you owned with the nicest dashboard top or speaker grilles. You’re going to remember a car for its excitement and how it made you feel.

2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though.

#72 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,338 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 November 2019 - 12:27 pm

I've just read the following column from Jolyon Palmer and found it vey interesting: https://www.bbc.co.u...rmula1/48984966

Yes I'm biased towards Lewis but he continues to justify my view that we are seeing a truly great driver passing records and driving above the levels of the rest of the field.

He uses Free Practise 1, 2, 3 plus Q1 and 2 to find every little fraction of a second. But he's not worried about being top of the board in those sessions, saving all the little pieces for the final push in Q3. Sometimes it doesn't work (2nd by 6 thousandths of a second!) but most times it does.

And then the race. Working his strategy, pressuring his rivals, and modifying his tactics as he goes long. I've just watched the Silverstone race again and can only say he's mastered his craft... and still improving on that.

So that can make for boring (to some) races. I do hope we might see a McLaren on a podium this season, and a Red Bull there for Honda at Suzuka.

In the meantime, I'll watch Lewis's masterclass...

I'd like to add to the above this year's management of his tyres. Plus him being one of very few F1 drivers with zero points on his Super License.

Is he in the best team? Yes. Is he in the best car? Yes but Ferrari have certainly pushed their development this year and have the "fastest" car. Is he the best driver? In my opinion, Yes.

And if anyone believes he's only won things because he's in the "best" car I'll refer them to his pre-F1 record: https://simple.wikip.../Lewis_Hamilton

Mercedes took him on because they believed he was the best. And they were right!

No he doesn't drive like Stirling Moss, but then he doesn't have a car like SM had. Technology has moved on and he uses that technology to go faster than almost all the others. For me he's already GOAT - but time moves on and eventually his records will be overtaken.

As for his off-track persona... I'll forgive him for making mistakes and poor judgement. They are all part of growing up and even in his thirties I've no doubt he'll make some more (I'm still growing up at 75). However from him, he's always in the media spotlight which must be hell - but part of the job.

Lastly, I personally don't like circuit racing. One season of going round and round trying to be inch-perfect every lap was enough for me. But it doesn't mean I don't admire those that can do it...

• Neutreus and ChasGFL like this

Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress

#73 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 6,335 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:09 pm

I don't particularly disagree with any of that, although you could argue that winning a race involving a load of adolescents in karts is a lottery rather than being dependant on the best kart or being the best driver.

Lewis's father made a telling comment when he was interviewed at the end of the Channel 4 highlights of the US GP, when he said that very early on he instilled in Lewis the importance of avoiding contact with other karts, because the karts that touched each other tended to go backwards rather than forwards and that was no way to win a race.  So perhaps his biggest talent is just keeping his nose clean.  For me that doesn't particularly make him the GOAT nor the most entertaining driver ever though.  Of the other leading candidates, I would probably put him equal with Schumacher and Senna as they were also reliable pole/race winners, but also far more likely to do something entertaining and outrageous if circumstances demanded it (for example, their clashes with Damon Hill and Alain Prost respectively). 

Like most sports stars and pop stars, etc, I wish he'd say less, so he's not unique in receiving that criticism.  It doesn't make the criticism or dislike of it any less valid though.

I also wonder if Mercedes as a team would have had similar success from 2014 onwards if they had signed, for example, someone like Daniel Ricciardo, Sergio Perez, Pastor Maldonado, or even Nico Hulkenberg instead of Hamilton.  Those drivers would probably not have won the number of races he has, but if they hadn't Nico Rosberg probably would have, so a Mercedes driver would still have won most or all of the Drivers Championships and Mercedes the Constructors.  It might have delayed Rosberg's retirement too.  So every cloud has a silver lining, I suppose . . .

#74 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,338 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:42 pm

Alex Albon to stay at Red Bull in 2020. The boy done well...
  • LESmo and Neutreus like this

#75 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,365 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:21 pm

He deserves that seat.  He stepped up and have done really well.  

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

#76 Neutreus

Neutreus

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 2,746 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:37 pm

Alex Albon to stay at Red Bull in 2020. The boy done well...

Will be interesting to see how close he can get to Verstappen next year when having been involved in the 2020 car and testing etc.

#77 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 6,335 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:58 pm

I don't think Red Bull had much choice, without breaking their usual habit and buying someone else in, but that's not to discredit what Albon has done this year. He'll have to not allow any more distance to grow between him and Max next season if he wants to keep the seat into 2021 though.
  • Neutreus likes this

#78 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,338 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted Yesterday, 01:25 pm

Someone else agrees with me: https://www.bbc.co.u...rmula1/50288385  :)

I'll also make two other comments:

1) During his time with Ferrari Michael Schumacher seemed to not only push track and driving limits but Ferrari International Assistance seemed to have worked their magic on the Stewards. IMO he wouldn't have got 7 titles if he'd driven within the regulations... Interestingly, when Vettel first appeared his mentoring from Schuey reflected the same attitude to pushing boundaries.

2) If Rosberg (aided by Mercedes*) hadn't played unsettling team games in the garage during 2016, Lewis would already have got 7 titles - I'm sure he learnt a lot about his team that year...

* = I can't help wondering when Rosberg told the team he would be retiring the end of that season(and he'd quite like to go out as a World Champion please)? Did Mercedes know that before re-allocating all of Lewis's pit crew at start of season...

(I do love a good conspiracy theory :P )

#79 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 6,335 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:29 pm

There is also an argument that the FIA ought now to be renamed the MIA, and not because they've gone missing. And wasn't it the case that Schuey did drive within the limits of the regulations, otherwise he would have received more penalties.

As for point 2, show me a driver at a top team who doesn't play unsettling mind games and I'll show you someone who hasn't and who never will win the title/titles.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Formula 1