• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 paul_k

paul_k

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:48 PM

Been a bit disappointed with the engine and gearbox mapping on my 16 plate GTR.
Compared to my 09 it generates much less boost below 3500RPM, feels to me like it is 50lbft down compared to the old car and is very laggy. The gear changes feel like a torque converter slush box. I believe the EU6 emissions compliance and over refinement with less track focus on the base car is the reason for this.

I have almost sold it twice but now that it is out of warranty decided to do something about it.
Got the Litchfield Stage 1 remap to 590hp with miltec y pipe (secondary cat delete) and gearbox remap.
I am utterly blown away by the transformation this has made to the car. Full boost is now up 4psi to 17psi and is available about 1200RPM lower. Turbo lag is almost eliminated. This is actually much better than my 09 car which was excellent. The increased torque to the red line is addictive and feels significantly more than the quoted 530lbft.(up 70lbft) The noise from the exhaust under full throttle is great but no drone when cruising. Combine this with properly quick gear changes and Im blown away, so will be keeping it now for quite a few more years...Just wish I had done this years ago.
Only problem now is may need to go to Stage 4.25😎

https://www.litchfie.../stage-upgrades
  • Chubbs, LESmo, Paul_S and 4 others like this
2016 GT-R Recaro Black. Stage 1 engine and gearbox remap epic!

No 1 GT-R Black Black from Marshalls. Helmet signed by Mizuno...
Paul_S Reversing Camera - Sold.

Sept 01 2004 Z GT gunmetal Alezan gone but not forgotten

#2 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 5,922 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:01 PM

I remember David Yu raving about the Milltek Y-pipe as a great noise enhancement in Evo magazine many years ago.

Hallelujah for a relatively small bit of expenditure having a big and positive effect.  And increasing the likelihood of retention. :thumbs:

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - ". . . vigorously shakes out all your loose change and sends you hyperventilating on your way".
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though - good.

#3 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 33,981 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:07 PM

Nice one Paul!

I've read a post or 2 of yours which made me think you weren't 100% happy with your newer one. I'm so please you found a mod that means it's so much better than before.

So it's turned it back up to 11 then?! :teeth:

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#4 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:37 AM

To be honest, most of the cars I've had have been driven directly from the showroom to a garage for a remap at least. But with the price tag of a GTR I would probably wait a year, just in case.

It amazing just how a car can be changed with a remap and a few extras. It must be like getting a new car Paul.

Now I would be interested in knowing if the temps have been affected at all, especially track temps. Did you ever track this GTR so you can get some sort of comparison in the future?

As for Modding more. Its a bug once once you see the potential that modifications can bring it almost becomes a holy grail for power improvement, which can get very expensive, as I'm sure you're aware of.

Getting my Zed to 550bhp has cost half the price of a used GTR (parts and labour).

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#5 paul_k

paul_k

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:07 PM

I feel like it’s turned up to 11.5! Serious grinning going on...
I have not tracked this car as it was more GT than R as nissan put it.
The only problem now is the soft suspension which really needs swapping out for a track pack, Nismo or Litchfield set up.
There have been many incremental mods made by Nissan to the transmission cooling over the years, I’m sure it won’t reach 120 degrees C at Spa after 5 laps on a hot day.
Honestly you can pick these up for under £30k with a Stage 1 tune. It really is the performance bargain of the decade.
  • Chubbs, Paul_S, Alex_C and 1 other like this

#6 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:25 PM

I do get the feeling that you wished you'd done this before now, and I particularity like your updated signature....... epic!

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#7 Neutreus

Neutreus

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 2,558 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:51 AM

Did Litchfield give you some idea of the difference in exhaust sound between Stage 1 and 2 Paul? I know that the stage 2 involves the Y-Pipe beign changed out and K&N Filters dropped in etc.

2016 Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - Optional extras: Dynamic pack, black styling pack, Audi sound system, cruise control, reversing camera, advanced key, electric folding body coloured mirrors, electrically adjustable lumbar support and non smokers pack.
2012 Pearl White 370Z GT Edition (manual) - Invidia Gemini catback exhaust with burnt titanium rolled tips, Stillen Gen 3 Intake Kit, UpRev, 15mm Eibach spacers, Satin Black painted bumpers, Black 'Z' badges, removal of GT Edition stripes - GONE TO A NEW OWNER WITHIN THE CLUB BUT WILL BE VERY FONDLY REMEMBERED.
2005 Gun Metal 350Z GT, Alezan Leather & plenty of mods - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

#8 paul_k

paul_k

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:14 PM

Stage 1 is just the y pipe which is a Milltek either resonated or non resonated.
Apparently non resonated (which is what I have) is recommended as it has no drone at motorway speeds.
Very happy with this just slightly louder than my old 350z until you give it some beans!

Stage 2 is Milltek rear box which makes little difference to the torque curve so not bothered.
I have not heard it but guess it may be a bit too loud!

Litchfield do a Stage 1 for your RS3 go for it!!
https://www.litchfie...rs.com/audi/rs3
  • Paul_S likes this

#9 Neutreus

Neutreus

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 2,558 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:15 AM

Ah, I must have got mixed up with all the different options they do on the GTR. The stage 1 sounds more than adequate and has clearly made a big difference.

I've seen that re the RS3. It's a shame I don't have the latest 400PS version. Mine will go up to 450BHP on a Stage 2 with Litchfield but the newer one goes to 500BHP. I thought the difference between the two engines were very small but apparently not according to Litchfield and others I've spoken to.

2016 Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - Optional extras: Dynamic pack, black styling pack, Audi sound system, cruise control, reversing camera, advanced key, electric folding body coloured mirrors, electrically adjustable lumbar support and non smokers pack.
2012 Pearl White 370Z GT Edition (manual) - Invidia Gemini catback exhaust with burnt titanium rolled tips, Stillen Gen 3 Intake Kit, UpRev, 15mm Eibach spacers, Satin Black painted bumpers, Black 'Z' badges, removal of GT Edition stripes - GONE TO A NEW OWNER WITHIN THE CLUB BUT WILL BE VERY FONDLY REMEMBERED.
2005 Gun Metal 350Z GT, Alezan Leather & plenty of mods - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN