13 replies to this topic

#1 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,158 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:48 PM

Now that the release details have become clearer I thought I'd split the original thread into 3 cars. The previous multi-model discussion and links can be found at: http://forums.nissan...editions/page-2

Please note, some of this clearly cribbed from the Nissan Global press release for the New York show so references to model date may be either Model Year 19 or, for our American cousins, 2020 model...

"2019/04/16

NEW YORK (April 16, 2019) – The 2020 Nissan 370Z 50th Anniversary Edition, with a distinctive racing livery appearance, was unveiled to the world today in New York – the same city where the original Datsun 240Z made its U.S. debut half a century ago.

Revealed just before this week’s New York International Auto Show, the special edition pays homage to the #46 BRE (Brock Racing Enterprises) Datsun 240Z that won multiple SCCA National Championships with John Morton behind the wheel.

“It’s no secret that the Datsun 240Z started the ball rolling for Japanese sports cars in the U.S.,” said Ivan Espinosa, Nissan’s corporate vice president of global product strategy and planning. “Almost as well known in Z history is how Peter Brock’s competition-tuned 240Z changed the American motorsports landscape. After the BRE 240Z debuted in 1970, Nissan/Datsun became one of the most successful companies in American motorsports – with thousands of victories over the past five decades.”

The Nissan 370Z 50th Anniversary Edition
For 2020, the 370Z will be available in four trim levels: the base model, Sport, Sport Touring and the 370Z NISMO. The 370Z Sport model is the foundation for the 50th Anniversary model, as it represents the true enthusiast spirit of the original model.1

The exterior of the 370Z 50th Anniversary Edition mimics the livery of the original BRE race car and is available in two different paint schemes: white with red accents, or silver with black accents. Key BRE design cues include the two signature stripes on the side of the car and the painted trunk, hood, side mirrors and A-pillars in the accent color (red for the white car and black for the silver car). Along the side of the car, a thin line runs from the headlight to the rear glass, culminating in a small triangle inspired by the C-pillar of the Datsun 240Z. The package also includes 50th Anniversary identification on the front fender, anniversary rear badging and special 19-inch alloy wheels with red accents.

The 370Z 50th Anniversary Edition retains the sleek profile that has defined Zs of the past, characterized by its low roofline, upswept quarter-window design and slope of the rear hatch. High-intensity discharge bi-functional xenon “boomerang shape” headlights, with an auto on/off feature, and LED daytime running lamps combine with a distinct front bumper design for an aggressive, yet elegant face.

At the rear, the integration of the boomerang taillights, rear spoiler delete and wide, flared fenders highlight the car’s strong, athletic shape.

Inside, the driver-centric interior is framed by a deeply scooped instrument panel. A full-length center console separates the driver’s seat from the passenger seat. The design incorporates a “layer concept” with an information layer, an operation layer and a holding layer. Special touches include a “50th Anniversary” steering wheel wrapped in Alcantara®, with a race car-inspired centering stripe. The leather-appointed and suede-covered heated four-way power seats, which feature adjustable lumbar support, have unique stitching, graphics and the 50th Anniversary logo embossed into the backrests. Dark chrome accents are used throughout the interior, including special kick plates adorned with the Z logo and synthetic suede door panel inserts exclusive to the special edition model.

The information layer provides good visibility and easy access to all key data. The gauges are attached to the steering column so that the driver doesn’t have to choose between a preferred steering wheel position and gauge visibility. The large upper steering-wheel opening in front of the gauges is designed to provide a good view of the readouts, while the special 50th Anniversary logo on the tachometer celebrates Z performance.

A Bose® audio system with eight speakers (includes dual subwoofers), active noise cancellation and active sound enhancement systems is also standard on the 50th Anniversary model (U.S. models only).

As quick and agile as ever
Nissan’s famed 3.7-litre V-6 engine is at the heart of the 370Z 50th Anniversary Edition. The engine produces 332 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque. The innovative VVEL system optimizes intake valve open/close movements, allowing air to be sent promptly to the combustion chamber at the precise time it’s needed.

Since the VVEL system can adjust to open the valves slightly, it improves fuel efficiency by reducing camshaft friction and fuel waste. It also provides cleaner emissions by allowing quicker warmup of the catalyst and by stabilizing combustion when the engine is cool.

The 50th Anniversary model comes equipped with a close-ratio, 6-speed manual gearbox that features a synchronized downshift rev-matching system called SynchroRev Match®. It automatically controls and adjusts engine speed when shifting to the exact speed of the next gear position, essentially “blipping” the throttle to smooth out any up/down shifts. This allows drivers of any skill level to change gears like a professional race car driver.

The 370Z 50th Anniversary Edition is also available as a 7-speed automatic with Downshift Rev Matching, paddle shifters and adaptive shift control designed to offer quick, manual-like shifting when operated in manual mode, with a target time of 0.5 seconds between shifts.

The 370Z 50th Anniversary Edition features a fine-tuned double-wishbone front suspension that uses lightweight forged aluminum arms, a lightweight rigid aluminum-alloy cradle, and a hollow construction stabilizer bar. The independent multi-link rear suspension is also stiffer and lighter than the previous generation’s design. The rear cradle is integrated into a single part without welding. Each corner has high-response shock absorbers that enhance ride comfort through reduced friction. A Viscous Limited Slip Differential makes sure the power gets to the ground.

Providing stopping power is a four-wheel vented disc anti-lock brake system, with electronic brake force distribution and brake assist, featuring 14.0-inch front and 13.8-inch rear rotors with four-piston front and two-piston rear aluminum calipers. High-grip Bridgestone Potenza S007 tires mounted on RAYS lightweight forged alloys – with special trim – round out the package.

“The 370Z is a true icon for Nissan,” said Espinosa. “This car has defined its segment for the past half century. The 370Z 50th Anniversary Edition celebrates the history of the model and its racing heritage, both of which have played a vital role in helping make Nissan what it is today.”

2020 Nissan 370Z 50th Anniversary Edition specifications (U.S. spec)

Engine

VQ37VHR – 3.7-litre DOHC V6
332 horsepower @ 7,000 RPM
270 lb-ft of torque at 5,200 RPM

Brakes

Front

Vented discs, ABS. 14.0 in. x 1.26 in.; 4 piston calipers

Rear

Vented discs, ABS. 13.8 in. x 0.79 in.; 2 piston calipers

Steering

Type

Variable speed, variable assist power rack-and-pinion

Suspension

Front

Double-wishbone aluminum suspension

Rear

Independent multi-link aluminum suspension

Wheels & Tires

Wheels

RAYS light weight forged aluminum-alloy
F: 19x9 in. R: 19x10 in.

Tires

Bridgestone Potenza S007
F: P245/40R19, R: P275/35R19

Dimensions

Wheelbase

100.4 in.

Overall length

Overall width

Overall height

Weight

Curb weight

3,b386 lb 6MT / 3,417 7AT

370Z 50th Anniversary Edition Package equipment

Exterior: Two-tone exterior; unique body side decals; red or black outside mirrors (depending on exterior color); unique red wheel accents; 50th Anniversary rear badge; 50th Anniversary side marker decals; rear spoiler delete

Interior: 50th Anniversary Alcantara®-wrapped steering wheel with center mark; unique interior stitching; 4-way power heated seats; 50th Anniversary leather-trimmed seats with unique stitching; 50th Anniversary logo in tachometer and shifter base plate; unique anniversary kickplates

1) Japan model based on standard Fairlady Z model, as many of the features on the U.S. Sport model are standard on the Japan vehicle.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION OR IMAGES GO TO https://uk.nissannews.com/en-GB OR CONTACT:

Martin Bayntun
Email

Corporate Communications Manager
martin.bayntun@nissan.co.uk

01923 899932

Alex Wenyon

Alexandra.wenyon@nissan.co.uk 

01923 899 005

ends"

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]

#2 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,158 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:40 PM

Preliminary UK details released...

Limited numbers.

Two colour choices: White with Red, Silver with Black

7-speed auto available.

Price: £4k above current GT model

Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress

#3 Neutreus

Neutreus

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 2,649 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 April 2019 - 03:31 PM

£4,000 extra!? For what - some decals, a different set of alloys and a few interior items embossed with 50th Anniversary. They've floored me again, knockout punch - boom, hello floor.

• LESmo likes this

2016 Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - APR Stage 1 tune with High Flow air filter and Secondary Decat Pipes. Optional extras: Dynamic pack, black styling pack, Audi sound system, cruise control, reversing camera, advanced key, electric folding body coloured mirrors, electrically adjustable lumbar support and non smokers pack.
2012 Pearl White 370Z GT Edition (manual) - Invidia Gemini catback exhaust with burnt titanium rolled tips, Stillen Gen 3 Intake Kit, UpRev, 15mm Eibach spacers, Satin Black painted bumpers, Black 'Z' badges, removal of GT Edition stripes - GONE TO A NEW OWNER WITHIN THE CLUB BUT WILL BE VERY FONDLY REMEMBERED.
2005 Gun Metal 350Z GT, Alezan Leather & plenty of mods - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

#4 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 11,067 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 April 2019 - 04:34 PM

Agree completely.

I presume they are going to put the spoiler back on for the UK Cars - I notice the spec said it was a spoiler delete.  I am guessing that must be the US cars?

Exterior: Two-tone exterior; unique body side decals; red or black outside mirrors (depending on exterior color); unique red wheel accents; 50th Anniversary rear badge; 50th Anniversary side marker decals; rear spoiler delete

They should have just taken a stock Nismo - lowered the price by £6k and given it the Anniversary Scheme - watched the cars fall out of the dealership, put back on the individual number plates like the special's before it like the V1 Nismo's and 40th Anniversary had.  And basically put a lot more effort into than they have.  Its shocking really.  So little imagination. You can buy the Nismo Carbon Wing Mirrors for about £250.  Yes its a special and likely it will hold its value.  But its such a lost opportunity.  Guess they never spoke to owners then.

Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start ButtonGT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete   Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Posted Image

#5 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,158 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:50 AM

I have now seen the PDF to dealers for GB and the pictures do not show a rear spoiler - albeit they are of LHD cars.

The 50th Anniversary seats do have a nicely embossed logo in the centre back panel.

Not much else to say but feel free to ask questions!

• LESmo and Paul_S like this

#6 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:37 AM

The alloys aren't even specific to the 50th, they just have some 'uinique' colouring.

Talk about flogging a dead horse!

• LESmo likes this

Current - 2009 GTR Premium, Stage 2

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#7 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 34,559 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:34 PM

I thought the seats looked nice from the press release.  I'm not overly impressed with the whole package and cost thought, I have to admit.

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#8 paul_k

paul_k

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 5,937 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:09 PM

So 16 years ago you got 268lbft torque from an award winning 3.5 litre engine
Now you get 2lbft more from another 200cc
Does this mean a 390z (3.9 litre version you can dream) could get another 2lbft to 272lbft when the 65th anniversary edition is announced!
4 k for some naff stripes and a spoiler delete. What a wasted opportunity this is...
2016 GT-R Recaro Black. Stage 1 engine and gearbox remap epic!

No 1 GT-R Black Black from Marshalls. Helmet signed by Mizuno...
Paul_S Reversing Camera - Sold.

Sept 01 2004 Z GT gunmetal Alezan gone but not forgotten

#9 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:56 PM

We all know that peak torque numbers and fatter torque curves are two different things.  The 370Z as it is is probably a joyful thing to own and drive, and probably has an engine that is more durable and will last longer in everyday use than the majority of other engines in any car that could even remotely be considered an alternative or a competitor.

However, even I have to concede that something with a turbo in it, and therefore lots more easily and quickly accessible torque, is much more appealing to most people most of the time and therefore for the price a 370Z nowadays is a real niche offering.  

I would really love to see the justifications they give internally for continuing this way - I have visions of the meetings resembling the end of 'Carry On Up The Khyber'.  And for their persistence I'm almost tempted to put my name down for one, and raise my kilt as well.

• Neutreus likes this

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - When you give up driving, you’re not going to look back wistfully on the car you owned with the nicest dashboard top or speaker grilles. You’re going to remember a car for its excitement and how it made you feel.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though.

#10 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:47 AM

I think those meeting may discuss getting some of the £millions lost due to a bad leader.......maybe....

I agree with the majority of comments here though, internally I think the changes are OK, external changes should/could have included some bumper changes to give it a different look, but I cant see what they would do to the engine without competing with the NISMO. Shame really as I think its a little like the ugly sister of the bunch.

• LESmo likes this

Current - 2009 GTR Premium, Stage 2

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#11 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Committee Member (10)
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 01:45 PM

Oh, I'm sure trying to stem the losses from the previous management hierarchy will be the background of most board meetings at present.

I just wonder if, in late 2008/early 2009, they set a target for how many 370s they had to sell before they got the replacement out and that target still hasn't been reached - for all the reasons and everything that's happened in the interim. And no-one has had the bright idea that they should give it up now.

The thing is, if I owned a 370Z I'd secretly (or not so secretly) be pleased it was still a "current" car. As it is, I'm pleased the 350Z is still only one generation old.
  • LESmo and Paul_S like this

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - When you give up driving, you’re not going to look back wistfully on the car you owned with the nicest dashboard top or speaker grilles. You’re going to remember a car for its excitement and how it made you feel.
2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though.

#12 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 11,067 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:00 PM

I think the 350z probably exceeded the expectations, certainly if you look at the numbers in the states they were very good for the type of car and Europe was stable, certainly in the vast majority of the Life.  The 370z I don't think has sold to the same level in the US or UK, partly I guess due to Fuel costs, partly due I guess to other manufacturers.  I guess the advantage we have is its still in production, so parts are still available, and the same is true for the 350z.   That makes ownership a lot easier and the longer that's the case I think the better.

I know how I felt when the V2 Nismo came out just 3 months after I bought mine, I was sort of sad.  Until I realise actually it made me all the more unique and somehow I am grateful, There was a lot that made the 350z a better car than the 370z some things removed which were great - the digital speedo, the sun glass holders, some of the storage - the fact you could actually put a shopping bag upright.  For those who are not fans I wonder if they really even know the difference my car routinely gets called a GTR while that's flattering - it goes to show how little people really know about the family of cars.

But I agree - I am still pleased its in production, as a fan though as well as a owner I think Nissan owed more than this model they have brought out.  They played with us a few months ago with the Twin Turbo - why not?  Even if had a price increase over the Nismo - it would have felt special.  This is after all the second Anniversary car in two years.

• Paul_S and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this
Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start ButtonGT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete   Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Posted Image

#13 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,158 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:36 PM

Saw a 50th Anniversary in the dealer showroom this week. It was Silver with Black Strips. Looked okay...

#14 oxfordlad

oxfordlad

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:09 AM

I'm not enthused about this to be honest, I was kind of hoping for something a bit more / special, guessing I'll be keeping my V1 Nismo for a few more years...