Posted Image

Photo

KW Coilovers + HLS2 Lift System on a 370Z Nismo (2018)

suspension lowering coilovers 370Z 370Z Nismo Nismo Hydraulic Lift

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sprint7

sprint7

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 09:56 am

I've just had the KW V3 Coilover Kit + HLS2 (Hydraulic Lift System) fitted to my 2018 370Z Nismo and I have to say, I love it!!

Images below!

Main features:
  • Height Adjustable
  • Bump & Rebound Adjustable
  • Front axel lift system at the touch of a button
  • Auto-drop on turning off the engine
  • Integrated button, illuminating while in operation
  • Compact hydraulic pump, fully concealable in the boot/trunk.

Huge thanks to Abbey Motorsport on this build! We're not aware of anyone else in the UK with this full kit but if you know someone who has it, let us know. We also couldn't find any examples online of such a 'factory' install as the one they achieved.

Brief
I wanted to drop the Z as low as was practical to still have the ability to lean on the tyres in corners without rubbing and to minimise bottoming out under compression. I like to drive my Z. I didn't want it just for show.

It was important to me to have a top-quality coilover kit with the ability to tune the damping to my preferences. I like a taught feel with a balance between responsive handling and mechanical grip. To this end, by also ensuring we could get the right camber settings, an Eibach/SPC camber kit was fitted. Mark at Abbey helped tune the bump and rebound settings for me and I've very happy with the result. I'm going to drive it as is for now and see how I feel. Initial feeling is I could go a little harder on bump and rebound settings but it feels so much more planted now!

I also wanted to make it over speed bumps... Enter the KW HLS2 system. HLS = Hydraulic Lift System. 2 = two wheels (front only). This is the only option on the Z as the system needs coilover suspension and the rear has a separate vertical spring / diagonal damper setup.

Watch a video of it in action on our Instagram page.

UPDATE: We've posted the experience in our Vlog:

(Note - The HLS kits can be retrofitted to both KW and select alternative coilover brands. Contact Abbey Motorsport for more information, letting them know you saw this via "Sprint7 of SportZnTouring's write up on the nissanportz forum".)

If you like this, and want more on the latest developments of what I do with the car, follow @SportZnTouring on InstagramTwitter & Facebook (Subscribe now to our upcoming YouTube channel).

So, why not air?
While air has come a long way, it was all about driving dynamics, plus, if any part of this lift system fails, it falls back to just being a static suspension system. For me personally though, the HLS pump is so compact it can be hidden away from sight completely, as if it was factory fitted... Plus, the sound the HLS pump makes it relatively unobtrusive. It's brief for the duration of lifting the car and has a kinda cool whine to it. Much better when compared to the grrrrrrrrrrrrrr of air compressors. The compactness of the HLS pump and the sound is also why I didn't go for air-cups + coilovers.

The Build...

Lowered...

036143f8-ca20-4db5-8b00-73978a022b7b-ori

Raised by the HLS system...

88ab5aa2-b4ed-4adf-9b3a-e8e302c8bd8c-ori

The system raises and lowers at the touch of a button... The button flashes red while raising and goes solid red once the cycle is complete. This takes a few seconds. Similarly, when you press it to drop it back down, it flashes until the cycle is complete. If you've just pulled onto your drive you don't need to press the button to lower it. Just park, switch off the engine and it automatically drops.

For the button, we considered various placements and decided to mount this where the left-hand drive starter button would go. In terms of it actually fitting in the space, it was the best option. It's within reach and the best placement aesthetically. Plus, the lock icon looks a bit rubbish and I rarely ever look at it...

c578cebf-9d36-4c82-b3f1-2b232f56f939-ori

7ac08730-88d3-4c59-92e3-7c05a4af39b3-ori

The Hydraulic Lift is mounted on the front coilovers...

996edfb7-152c-4064-8d26-6869bf40293e-ori

And the guys at Abbey found the best spot to mount the hydraulic pump, both in terms of it being hidden and best placed for routing the piping and wiring...

8c91ac94-f0fc-4724-8cb5-e1fbf243605a-ori

This meant trimming back some of the boot moulding and moving the tyre compressor...

02c80f1e-ea55-4471-9f0e-f7ec525c180d-ori

2e863e47-f155-42b7-a72c-11314f87fe92-ori

Loving the ride height and improved handling. It really is noticeable. It feels so much more planted in the corners. Starts to slide in a beautifully balanced way and gives me even more confidence in the twisty country lanes and fast roundabouts. Just feels effortless.

437a8da6-750a-490e-84dc-484e291755e6-ori

Thanks again to Abbey Motorsport!

Again, give us a follow @SportZnTouring on InstagramTwitter & Facebook (Subscribe now to our upcoming YouTube channel).
  • LESmo, Paul_S, fastfu and 3 others like this

#2 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,317 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:42 am

Very neat install.  Very Clever, I can see the benefit of the rising on speed bumps.  How much does it rise over the Stock suspension?  

• sprint7 and David_R like this

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

#3 David_R

David_R

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:23 pm

Very neat install.  Very Clever, I can see the benefit of the rising on speed bumps.  How much does it rise over the Stock suspension?  

I was thinking a similar thing with speedhumps but more importantly getting off my driveway,

• sprint7 likes this

2011 - black 370z the doube D. 2years in and still a solid, fun and reliable car. 

1996 - oxford blue Rover 600 turbo - extremely modified, not that you would ever know it from the outside. My take on the ultimate street sleeper (tarton rug and box of tissues included)

30iBQSG.jpg

#4 sprint7

sprint7

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:35 pm

I'm not sure of the exact amount. Check the video and you can see that it's a little higher than stock. It's more than enough clearance based on speed bumps I've had to climb so far :-)

#5 sprint7

sprint7

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:42 pm

For those who want more, I'll be sharing a vlog of the build and the result on a new YouTube Channel...

Trailer for the upcoming videos on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/s1mEyyVPvWA

#6 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 34,978 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:23 pm

That's a great install!  Very clever, nice upgrade :)

• sprint7 likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#7 Kev T

Kev T

Zedling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:52 am

Great solution to the problem of a lowered car versus speed humps !

• sprint7 likes this

#8 Dave G

Dave G

Zedlet

• Members (10)
  • 497 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 12:15 pm

Loving all of that! :)

Abbey have done you proud.

• sprint7 likes this

#9 sprint7

sprint7

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:36 am

We've just released our Vlog of the whole experience...

Hope you enjoy it!

• Paul_S and Kev T like this

#10 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 34,978 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 August 2019 - 02:38 pm

Very nice kit.

It was good to see Abbey, I've not been there in years.  I'll have to think of a good reason to pay them a visit :)

• sprint7 likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension, lowering, coilovers, 370Z, 370Z Nismo, Nismo, Hydraulic Lift