125 replies to this topic

#1 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,374 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:27 pm

Please post pictures and reports during the build up and preparations, and during the event itself lets get a great record of our 50th Zed celebrations.
  • Paul_S likes this

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

#2 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,050 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:57 pm

Great idea for a thread mate :thumbs:

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#3 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,050 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:12 pm

The build up starts here (quite literally in this case!)

gallery_245_510_124820.jpg

gallery_245_510_379531.jpg

If I get a chance I might show a hose pipe to the 370Z.  I hope I get the chance!

• LESmo and John_K like this

#4 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,374 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 July 2019 - 05:56 am

That looks stunning Paul.  Busy week ahead then.  Cannot wait to see that in the flesh.

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

#5 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,050 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:08 pm

6 Days before we drive to Silverstone.

Front this:

gallery_245_510_82672.jpg

So this:

gallery_245_510_102436.jpg

Via this:

gallery_245_510_1123692.jpg

• LESmo, Gasitup and ChasGFL like this

#6 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,374 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:40 am

With a couple of days off before the Classic I have started to prep the car.  I plan to do it over a couple of days.  So starting at just after 6am this morning.  I tacked the weekly commute grime.  For those who have never seen dirt on the car:

med_gallery_123_539_1105803.jpg

First I tackled the Grease with a Citric Snow Foam.  At this time of the morning.  I went for the trust hand operated Foamer rather than the very noisy Jet Wash.

med_gallery_123_539_437130.jpg

med_gallery_123_539_1366109.jpg

After leaving to dwell for about 10 minutes.  I washed it off.  Moving onto a Bucket of GTechnic Wash - cleaning the car.

Once dried.  I carried on with the decontamination.  With some trusty Purple Rain

med_gallery_123_539_2015659.jpg

Spraying the Paint and the Wheels (This is not a Wheel cleaner) its a contaminant remover in particular Iron particles.

med_gallery_123_539_503322.jpg

You can see it doing its job as it melts away the contaminants - letting you know where its working - usual places on the Zed, Front, near the Wheel and rear.

med_gallery_123_539_181111.jpg

Then rinsing this off - you have to do it quickly on the dark parts less so on the white which can dwell a little longer. 

Washing the Car again to remove the Purple Rain - so it didn't dry on the car.

I dried the car again.  Now was time to Clay the Paint.  To be honest I was surprised how much it picked up.  using the Hand Sprayer to spray water onto the car as a lubricant.  I dried the paint after each panel was clay'd and I had completed the de-contamination and cleaning phase:

gallery_123_539_557816.jpg

Still to do.  Single Stage machine polish, Show Glaze, Concourse De Elegance & Car Pro Reload.  But I have had to wait to get the Machine Polisher out - so left the car in the sun to try off and get rid of any water drips.

More to follow:

• Paul_S, Chilli Red, A Pair Of Flabby Wings and 2 others like this

#7 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:29 am

Good work, mate. I hope the weather stays fine for you - dry, but not too bright and hot.

On the basis of the weather forecast for the next few days, mine is more or less ready already - washed, glazed/sealed, and waxed again - and just needs the glass tidying up a bit more and maybe a little finishing inside too, but it has been dusted and the mats brushed.
  • LESmo, Paul_S, Chilli Red and 1 other like this

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - When you give up driving, you’re not going to look back wistfully on the car you owned with the nicest dashboard top or speaker grilles. You’re going to remember a car for its excitement and how it made you feel.

2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though.

#8 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,374 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 July 2019 - 02:01 pm

White is a colour which doesn't reward like so many colours.  The work with white paint is all about the prep - after that, really there is little that can be done to make it pop.

So having got late enough - out came the DA Polisher.

med_gallery_123_539_4558961.jpg

A single Stage polish to tackle a the swirl marks from normal day to day life

med_gallery_123_539_3168335.jpg

The next phases were all about the appearance and sealant of the paintwork.

First a little bit of Show Glaze.

med_gallery_123_539_2376217.jpg

Then a coat of Collinite which I had bought at Christmas but held onto this prep to keep the wax nice and clean.

med_gallery_123_539_87348.jpg

Then finally - a little top off with Reload

med_gallery_123_539_2502965.jpg

Finally (for today at least) the paintwork apart from a wash - now its done

gallery_123_539_1462907.jpg

gallery_123_539_3204303.jpg

Took about 8 Hours.

• Paul_S, A Pair Of Flabby Wings and Cazza like this

#9 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,050 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:12 pm

That decontaminate stuff looks great Les.  It reminds me of that toothpaste that leaves little specs of blue in the sink to tell you it's cleaned your teeth (although I was always a bit sceptical about that and wondered if it did it anyway just for effect!)

Thanks for the picture of dirt on your Z.  It's a totally new concept to me!

Micheal - it sounds like you're well ahead of the game. I (or actually Les I think) still have the EZ Car Clean stuff you wanted and must make sure we bring it to Silverstone.

• LESmo and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

#10 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,050 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:15 pm

Some progress on the 240Z for me today.  Not as much as I would have liked.

The 370Z was looking at me all day, filthy, out of fuel ('----' showing on the DTE for the last 4 days) and looking unloved.  It is loved, but it might have to be just a quickie before Silverstone I'm afraid.

• LESmo and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

#11 A Pair Of Flabby Wings

A Pair Of Flabby Wings

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:31 pm

[. . .]

Micheal - it sounds like you're well ahead of the game. I (or actually Les I think) still have the EZ Car Clean stuff you wanted and must make sure we bring it to Silverstone.

Thank you, yes, I'm looking forward to taking it off your hands (or those of Les) at last, in exchange for a few notes.

I was hoping to be ahead of the game, as I feared next week could be a bit of a funny one.  It still might be, but at least there aren't too many days and nights left to worry about it.

2007 350Z (my second Zed) - When you give up driving, you’re not going to look back wistfully on the car you owned with the nicest dashboard top or speaker grilles. You’re going to remember a car for its excitement and how it made you feel.

2011 Yaris 1.33 (my third Yaris) - With an extra 30cc and an extra gear it's become the S-Class of small cars.  Far less pretentious though.

#12 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,374 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:15 am

Thank you, yes, I'm looking forward to taking it off your hands (or those of Les) at last, in exchange for a few notes.

I was hoping to be ahead of the game, as I feared next week could be a bit of a funny one.  It still might be, but at least there aren't too many days and nights left to worry about it.

Ah yes - I had forgotten all about those they are in the floor of the study.  Having made one trip to the Mod day on the train earlier in the year.  I have just dug them out and will put them in the car. 

• Paul_S and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

#13 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,050 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:25 pm

Getting closer....

gallery_245_510_319637.jpg

gallery_245_510_93168.jpg

• LESmo, Chilli Red and A Pair Of Flabby Wings like this

#14 ChasGFL

ChasGFL

Zedlet

• Committee Member
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:09 pm

Not quite on the same level as some of us rebuilding cars etc, but I must admit the panic had started to set in a bit over the weekend... MOT due this week, no sign of my parking ticket and wondering when I will actually have time to run a duster over the car - ok maybe not literally but there's absolutely no chance of me spending 8 hrs cleaning it, especially in this weather, far too valuable driving time with the roof engaged in the folded down position.

What a difference a day makes. 12 months MOT secured and parking ticket on the doorstep when I got home this afternoon, which raised an eyebrow and a slighlty shocked "What??" from the missus when I ripped open the envelope and without thinking excitedly exclaimed "Parking ticket".

Fact sheet written, no guesses that, although factual, I haven't taken it too seriously - I'll take my punishmet and possible expulsion from the club with good grace.

Just the matter of cleaning to go, but looking at the mountain of jobs to do before the weekend, cleaning might be penciled in for friday am after arrival!
  • LESmo, Paul_S, Chilli Red and 1 other like this

#15 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,374 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:19 pm

Any mention of an excessively loud exhaust on the MOT mate?  :lol:

• Paul_S and ChasGFL like this

#16 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,374 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:28 pm

Well my build up starts now.  Officially finished work until Monday.  Only concentrating on Silverstone now.  Have a Day and a bit to prep the car (yes I know I have already spent 8 hours).  But still to do.

Wheels.

Interior

Engine

Exhaust (as far as I can reach)

Work out what to pack in the car.

Bring it on. 

• Paul_S likes this

#17 ChasGFL

ChasGFL

Zedlet

• Committee Member
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:37 pm

Any mention of an excessively loud exhaust on the MOT mate?  :lol:

They may have mentioned it ;) That's another reason for the panic, a year to sort it out and it seemed to have come around again all to soon and despite all the talk I'd done nothing about it, but it's all good. 

• LESmo likes this

#18 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 July 2019 - 06:53 am

FInishing work today at 14h00.

List completed so far:

1. Interior

To do

1. Remove numberplate tape previous owner left on ( there is a lot, number plate protrudes about 10mm from the bumper, and its white, with black velco on top.)
  2. Stage 1 polish to remove some swirling and light scratches
  3. Seal the paintwork
  4. Polish 
  5. Pack

Somewhere I think I may have a little cry, but so long at the storm has now passed, its doable.

• LESmo and Paul_S like this

Current - 2009 GTR Premium, Stage 2

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#19 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,374 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:22 am

It’s all about the details. Pedals cleaned and new Silverstone mats in the car.

cfc1520b42e3c6fc386b290de9c812b7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Paul_S likes this

#20 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:53 am

If you have some spare time Les. Fancy popping round mine  :D

• LESmo likes this

Current - 2009 GTR Premium, Stage 2

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EVENTS 2019