14 replies to this topic

#1 oxfordlad

oxfordlad

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:35 am

Just had my latest service done on the V1 and was told the front disks and pads only have a couple of months left in them...

Now my car has done 63500+ miles now, when should disks and pads need replacing?

Also what after market dicks and pads are people using or are they just putting on OEM?

• Gasitup likes this

#2 Cloudy

Cloudy

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:29 am

My V1 has done considerably less miles than that and I am about to replace the discs and pads (16k). The fronts could last a few more thousand miles but the rears have had it as the discs are badly pitted and the pads are not covering the entire disc. One of the main reasons I hate the feel of my brakes at the moment.

After doing some research and talking to Abbey Motorsport Im going with Stoptech discs (slotted) and pads. Same size as OEM.
  • Jeff-W and Gasitup like this

#3 Jeff-W

Jeff-W

Events/OCDT

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 August 2019 - 03:54 pm

Just had my latest service done on the V1 and was told the front disks and pads only have a couple of months left in them...

Now my car has done 63500+ miles now, when should disks and pads need replacing?

Also what after market dicks and pads are people using or are they just putting on OEM?

I guess folks are just finishing work and will read your post in due course - many have had replacement pads/discs fitted and I seem to remember specific threads on the matter. They might be in the 370 section - might be worth a search there. I think you’ll get replies in due course as it is a much-discussed subject.

Jeff.
  • Gasitup likes this
Fred I - 350Z 2007 Gunmetal. 6 CD changer, full leather, reverse sensors. SOLD.
Fred II - 370Z GT 2011 Gunmetal. Premium connect. GT spec. Seriously un-modified. See-through windows, and a wheel at each corner. Sold 13 July 14. Gone.
Fred III - 2014 facelift 370GT. Magma red. Reversing sensors. Invidia Gemini CBE. Sold 2 April 2016.
Fred IV - 2016 Daytona Blue 370Z GT. Reversing sensors. K & N panel filters. Invidia Gemini CBE. Full front wrap - Ventureshield II.

#4 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Committee Member (10)
  • 11,165 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:18 pm

Interested in this one.  The OEM have done very well.  Do you want drilled / grooved.  I think John_K has some on his? 

• Gasitup likes this
Current  - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start ButtonGT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust SystemCustom Blank Button Delete   Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Posted Image

#5 John_K

John_K

Zedlet

• Moderators
  • 879 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:25 pm

Apologies for the delay, i've been away on business

My Black 370 had after market discs and pads (see signature), which i copied from Paul S. I was very happy with them.

My v1 has just had its 5 year service, but has only done 13.5k miles, so no advisories, but I hope to take a good look at them at the Members Workshop Day

J

Black Pearl 2010 (60) 370Z Auto GT Pack Connect Premium - 'Cool Dad'
EBC Ultimax (slotted) front discs and Ferodo DS2500 front pads
- auf wiedersehen pet
Storm White 2014 (64) 370Z Nismo #376 - the new 'Cool Dad'

#6 oxfordlad

oxfordlad

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:02 am

Interested in this one.  The OEM have done very well.  Do you want drilled / grooved.  I think John_K has some on his? 

Not too sure what I want really that's why I was asking. I do like the look of grooved & drilled disks though

#7 PaulW

PaulW

Committee Member

• Administrators (10)
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:10 am

For road use I've always been impressed with EBC, always good quality and reasonable prices and they work well. Yellow stuff pads and grooved/drilled disks will be an improvement over oem and look good.

Although if you've got 63k miles out of the originals I'm not sure anything else will come anywhere near that!!

• Paul_S likes this

gallery_245_423_13930.png

#8 John_K

John_K

Zedlet

• Moderators
  • 879 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:21 am

just thought you might not see my signature, depending on how you're viewing the forum, so...

this is what I had on my 370

I wouldn't hesitate to do the same for the Nismo, when the time comes
  • Paul_S likes this
Black Pearl 2010 (60) 370Z Auto GT Pack Connect Premium - 'Cool Dad'
- auf wiedersehen pet
Storm White 2014 (64) 370Z Nismo #376 - the new 'Cool Dad'

#9 oxfordlad

oxfordlad

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:39 am

For road use I've always been impressed with EBC, always good quality and reasonable prices and they work well. Yellow stuff pads and grooved/drilled disks will be an improvement over oem and look good.

Although if you've got 63k miles out of the originals I'm not sure anything else will come anywhere near that!!

To be fair even though mines a daily drive most of it is motorway miles so brakes don't get that much of a hammering...

#10 oxfordlad

oxfordlad

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:42 am

just thought you might not see my signature, depending on how you're viewing the forum, so...

Just been on the EBC website says it doesn't have anything to fit a 370z!!!

#11 Cloudy

Cloudy

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:06 pm

Given that the car is used on the motorway the majority of the time there is little point upgrading the discs and pads. That said for the cost of OEM parts you could upgrade.

What you decide to go with is up to you, everyone will have their own views.

#12 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,217 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:12 pm

I can only comment from running a 350 but...

The OEM Disks on the 350 lasted me 100k miles, which included various Performance Driving Course with CT Driver Training at Millbrook and more than a 100 laps of the Nurburgring / Nordschleife circuit. I replaced the fronts with another OEM set purchased from someone who'd upgraded disks early in their cars life. I haven't reached 200k miles yet so can't say whether they'll last as long.

Pads. At first pad change I upgraded to Ferodo DS2500s and they've held me in good stead since - except for a brief flirtation with EBC Yellow but the dust from them was a real pita to get off the wheels. Wheel cleaning went from 5-10 minutes to over an hour - per wheel!!! DS2500s don't have that "feature".

I was also a bit worried about brake fade under heavy use so I had the fluid changed to Motul RBF600 from Opie Oils and have not had any problems since doing that.

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]

#13 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:05 pm

I can remember the mileage but I did switch mine to DBA T3 fronts. These were very good and had no issues topping the zed at its 550bhp stage around a track.

Coupled with DS2500 pads they are are great combination for fast road use.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Current - 2009 GTR Premium, Stage 2

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#14 PaulW

PaulW

Committee Member

• Administrators (10)
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:39 am

DS2500's are amazing pads, work from cold and can handle a good hammering on a track day and still don't eat disks  :D

EBC seem to do a full range for 370z? https://ebcbrakesdir...ive/nissan/370z

• Paul_S likes this

gallery_245_423_13930.png

#15 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 34,738 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:09 pm

Yep, that's my setup and they served me very well in the Alps last year on Run2! :drive1

I did the rears too, but just because I was feeling flush at the time and wanted them to look the same :blush:

My OEM discs had a lot of life on them but I changed them because they were always picking up marks from the pads and caused a lot of vibration when I braked.  The only way to clean them off was to brake very harshly a few times in succession every couple of weeks and I got bored taking the car out an unusual times of the day along some quiet roads to do it safely.  No such issues with the set up above :)

• John_K likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY