David_R

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:29 pm

Hi, 

I'm putting together a brake cooling kit similar to that of the stillen. I want to utilize the same part of the bumper for the intakes and this means removing the covers next to the "bumper fangs". Is this something I can gain access to just by removing the undertray or does the bumper need to come off? I am trying to minimize risk of messing about with the pedestrian impact system if at all possible.

Thanks in advance

David

2011 - black 370z the doube D. 2years in and still a solid, fun and reliable car. 

1996 - oxford blue Rover 600 turbo - extremely modified, not that you would ever know it from the outside. My take on the ultimate street sleeper (tarton rug and box of tissues included)

30iBQSG.jpg

#2 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,081 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:14 pm

They are easy to remove once you have the under tray off.

However - they hold the front impact sensors for the bonnet pop up system so you will have to relocate those somewhere else.  I'll dig out a picture in a moment from when I removed my front bumper...

Edit:  Here you go, you can see the sensors hanging from the wires (circled in red):

gallery_245_428_894435.jpg

Edited by Paul_S, 16 August 2019 - 01:21 pm.

• David_R likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#3 David_R

David_R

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 August 2019 - 05:18 pm

Thankyou Paul. Very helpful   :thumbs:

I'll see what I can do and let you know what I come up with. 

2011 - black 370z the doube D. 2years in and still a solid, fun and reliable car. 

1996 - oxford blue Rover 600 turbo - extremely modified, not that you would ever know it from the outside. My take on the ultimate street sleeper (tarton rug and box of tissues included)

30iBQSG.jpg

#4 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,081 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 August 2019 - 06:04 pm

Thankyou Paul. Very helpful   :thumbs:

I'll see what I can do and let you know what I come up with. 

To be honest, you could just cable tie them somewhere. That would prevent the lifter light coming on. If you disconnect the sensors from the loom then the light would come on and I think that's an MOT failure.

But it might not activate the system if you don't bolt them somewhere on the bumper.

If someone were to walk out in front me and smacked their head on my engine block because the system didn't fire I'm not sure I could live with myself so I'd have to bolt them on.
  • David_R likes this

#5 David_R

David_R

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:49 am

I wont be doing anything that compromises the system. 

I cant even bring myself to cut holes into my cars. If it can be an oem type fitment or easily reversible then it wont be happening.

• Paul_S likes this

30iBQSG.jpg

#6 blobbish

blobbish

Club Secretary

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:25 am

I wont be doing anything that compromises the system. 

I cant even bring myself to cut holes into my cars. If it can be an oem type fitment or easily reversible then it wont be happening.

David. I have an old OEM front bumper (and rear) that I no longer need of you fancy some practice 

• Paul_S and David_R like this

Current - 2009 GTR Premium, Stage 2

Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#7 David_R

David_R

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:56 pm

David. I have an old OEM front bumper (and rear) that I no longer need of you fancy some practice 

Thankyou for the offer blobbish but I have nowhere to put them right now. :(

I want to get my bumper off anyway to give it a good detail off the car. I reckon I can make something work ;)

30iBQSG.jpg

#8 David_R

David_R

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 August 2019 - 01:36 pm

Its now clearer what you meant Paul about the mounting points for the outer impact sensors. I will be making new replacement brackets from scratch to direct replace the original plastic items. I cant see it causing a problem with the sensors.

Its a bit hot but the long/free weekend means I can play a bit with this so will see what I can come up with!

• Paul_S likes this

30iBQSG.jpg

#9 David_R

David_R

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:13 pm

Here is what I have so far!

I dont have the luxury of a CNC machine so my methods are fairly crude when it comes to cutting. 

Replacement "fang" intakes and impact g sensor mounting brackets almost done. Just need to weld in the pipework.

I decided to cut inserts for the three tangs to the left as I am using stainless steel and it would be very difficult to take them off, once past the plastic barb and would probably break them in the process. Anything I do to my cars I like to make it so they are completely reversible and no one would be any the wiser.

nEhh4Hs.jpg

deoEiyA.jpg

HIQxLjZ.jpg

• Paul_S likes this

30iBQSG.jpg

#10 David_R

David_R

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:27 pm

8xBxFhd.jpg

• Paul_S and Gav C like this

30iBQSG.jpg

#11 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,081 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 September 2019 - 03:37 pm

Good work mate :thumbs:

Seeing those rusted clips the under tray bolts onto gives me a new job to do.  I think I'll have to clean & lube mine up.  The bolts were tight last time I removed my tray.

• David_R likes this

#12 David_R

David_R

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 September 2019 - 04:13 pm

Thanks Paul.  I bought a replacement set of undertray bolts and clips. Unfortunately they were already rusting out of the jiffy bag (clips anyway). I might have to look into stainless alternatives. The hose clamps might have to get the stainless steel treatment too. 

• Paul_S likes this

30iBQSG.jpg

#13 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,081 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 September 2019 - 04:20 pm

Yes, I noticed my lower hose clip looked grim a few years ago and replaced it.  It's not something you want to fail...

• David_R likes this