15 replies to this topic

#1 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,367 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 September 2019 - 04:18 am

Coming down the A428 this morning, 70Mph - inside lane.  Pitch black.  Suddenly at the last minute I saw something dead in the road.  Not Rabbit Size.  I had no where to go.  I must have lined up for the middle of the car where the splitter is highest and waited for the impact.  BANG!

Then sound of something flapping or engine fault (no lights on the dash), I limped to the next slip road, something was definitely flapping, just as I went up whatever it was fell off and I drove over it with my back wheels,  I search the mirrors to see if it was a piece of the car, but its too dangerous to stop on this blind bend slip road at Hardwick.  I limped around the road about ready to park up in a layby.

Then comes the walk, the same we do when we kerb a wheel.  Torch on the phone expecting to see the front of the Nismo gone.  But it was still there.  Search the front for damage.  None.  Went around the sides 3 or 4 times - nothing,  looked under the back and there was evidence of a Friday 13th Massacre.  With bits hanging off the diff.  I got back in the car started it, and drove back through Hardwick and back on the A14.  It was only when I realised where it was for that split second I would have been checking the slip, as I came down it, there is was.  Across both carriageways.  I missed it the second time, the car behind didn't.

Got to work and checked again - tugged at the bumper - solid.  checked the splitter again, nothing, checked the front underside, nothing, checked the rear and sides.

I will be going back in daylight to remove the whatever it is which is hanging off the diff with a pair of grabbers.  But the old girl stood up really well.   

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

#2 Chilli Red

Chilli Red

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 22,991 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 September 2019 - 05:31 am

Somethings got a headache! Hope the car is ok.
  • LESmo and vjordon like this

07765 406665
Infiniti FX 30d  premium - loved it but now gone
QX70d S Design and owner and lovin' it

Check out our - 2014 & 2015 Annual Club Newsletter Round-ups - Here
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube

#3 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,367 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:15 am

Just been out.  Whatever it was I suspect it got stuck on the Diff.  There is a Cross Member just behind it and some of it was on there.  I could really do with rain now and wet roads to clean the underside of the car and get rid of the smell.

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

#4 Cray Z

Cray Z

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 08:46 am

Nothing like the smell of steak following you around lol!

It is impressive how strong the car is though. You could have had lots of damage and airbags going off.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Edited by Cray Z, 02 September 2019 - 08:47 am.

• LESmo and Paul_S like this

#5 Neutreus

Neutreus

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 2,750 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 September 2019 - 12:00 pm

Glad to hear the car is OK Les. I can remember hitting a badger in an old Vauxhall Nova SR once and it pretty much destroyed my front bumper!

• LESmo and Cray Z like this

2011 Gunmetal Nissan GTR Premium Edition - Litchfield Stage 1, Miltek Y-Pipe

2016 Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - APR Stage 1 tune with High Flow air filter and Secondary Decat Pipes - I'LL MISS THE POPS AND BANGS (BUT THE NEIGHBOURS WON'T)
2012 Pearl White 370Z GT Edition - Invidia Gemini catback exhaust with burnt titanium rolled tips, Stillen Gen 3 Intake Kit, UpRev, 15mm Eibach spacers, Satin Black painted bumpers - GONE TO A NEW OWNER WITHIN THE CLUB BUT WILL BE VERY FONDLY REMEMBERED.
2005 Gun Metal 350Z GT, Alezan Leather & plenty of mods - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

#6 Cray Z

Cray Z

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 12:42 pm

Glad to hear the car is OK Les. I can remember hitting a badger in an old Vauxhall Nova SR once and it pretty much destroyed my front bumper!

I loved my Nova SR!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
  • LESmo and Neutreus like this

#7 Paul_S

Paul_S

Club Chairman and AutoGadgetZ Trader

• Root Admin (10)
  • 35,040 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:27 pm

Ouch!

It sounds like you got away with that Les. It would be good to get it in a ramp to have a good look. If only there was an event coming up with access to ramps....
  • Cray Z likes this

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Zwith a plethora of minor bespoke mods' 

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

I manufacture and sell 370Z & GT-R Reversing Camera (Backup Camera) Kits

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

#8 John_K

John_K

Zedlet

• Moderators
  • 904 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 September 2019 - 11:13 am

so glad the old girl?! and you are ok
  • LESmo likes this
Black Pearl 2010 (60) 370Z Auto GT Pack Connect Premium - 'Cool Dad'
EBC Ultimax (slotted) front discs and Ferodo DS2500 front pads
- auf wiedersehen pet
Storm White 2014 (64) 370Z Nismo #376 - the new 'Cool Dad'

#9 Gasitup

Gasitup

Zedlet

• Moderators
  • 308 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 05:00 am

Let’s hope your run of road tests settles down soon LESmo. Glad V1 is safe and sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • LESmo likes this

#10 dj370zNismo

dj370zNismo

Zedling

• Founding Member (10)
  • 2,682 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:20 am

Ouch, that sounds like it could have been nasty! I am amazed the car has no damage - as you say 'the old girl is strong'!!

• LESmo likes this
2013 Storm White 370z Nismo #93
2004 Azure Blue 350Z

#11 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,367 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:18 pm

I washed the car at the weekend - and no damage at all.  I was so lucky,.  Caroline said as she came through it in day light a little later - that it looked like a muntjac - and there was a larger piece further up the road - which I am guessing I was dragging along.  I still am amazed I got away with that one.  Still pretty nervous now driving on the dark roads.  Only a couple of years ago I missed a large piece of a car that had come off a crashed bridge on the road above... 

Trouble with driving in the dark with low traffic, anything can fall off a truck or get hit by a truck and you have no hope of seeing it, the lights are good but not that good :lol:

• dj370zNismo, Paul_S, A Pair Of Flabby Wings and 1 other like this

#12 filiside

filiside

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:20 am

Good to know that you're safe too. 

Edited by filiside, 04 October 2019 - 08:20 am.

#13 vjordon

vjordon

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 01:19 pm

Struth Les .... You are one lucky guy, glad both you and the car are ok.

Animals can do untold damage to vehicles … Muntjac, Fox or Badger would all make a mess, you were lucky it was not a brick like we get often along the A414 where Mitchells washing station is.

See you at the Christmas party.

Vicky x 

#14 filiside

filiside

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:33 am

Did you ever find out what creature became an accidental roadkill?

#15 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,367 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 October 2019 - 01:02 pm

Did you ever find out what creature became an accidental roadkill?

Fairly sure from the size and amount of blood it was a Muntjac Deer, or the remains of probably what was left after a HGV hit it,  There are a lot of fields around the dual carriageway and routinely I have to dodge mice and rabbits. :lol:

#16 Cazza

Cazza

Zedlister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:49 pm

The bit I saw a few hours later was the right colour build for a Muntjac which we have a large number of in Cambridgeshire but it was minus a head and I was trying to avoid it in my Mini at around 70mph so can’t completely confirm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Paul_S likes this