9 replies to this topic

#1 dj370zNismo

dj370zNismo

Zedling

• Founding Member (10)
  • 2,689 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 December 2019 - 04:34 pm

Friday morning about 9.30 local time, blade 350Z coupe. Sunday on way to watch the T20 at Newlands a black 350Z coupe. Time about 1.30pn. Finally a white roadster 370Z parked on a drive in Camps Bay Monday morning about 10.00am.
  • LESmo, Paul_S and Neutreus like this
2013 Storm White 370z Nismo #93
2004 Azure Blue 350Z

#2 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,402 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:26 pm

Cape Town....  I guess they are Right Hand Drive?  Is there any noticeable difference in models?  I presume if they are RHD they use the Euro cars. 

You do get around :lol:

• dj370zNismo and Paul_S like this

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

#3 dj370zNismo

dj370zNismo

Zedling

• Founding Member (10)
  • 2,689 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted Yesterday, 07:45 am

Cape Town....  I guess they are Right Hand Drive?  Is there any noticeable difference in models?  I presume if they are RHD they use the Euro cars. 

You do get around :lol:

Yes, all RHD Les. They all looked pretty standard and probably Euro type spec. The 370 had Rays the other 2 had the standard wheels like my 350. Had my spotted cards with me but only spotted them in ubers or on a mini bus. Would hacve been cool to have carded a couple.

Yes it helps getting around when you have a son who is a long haul pilot!!  :D  Got First Class on the way out but had to contend with Economy on the way back!!  :o

• LESmo, Paul_S and The Dreamer like this
2004 Azure Blue 350Z

#4 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,402 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted Yesterday, 07:55 am

Nice!   Was you Son flying the plane you travelled on?

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

#5 dj370zNismo

dj370zNismo

Zedling

• Founding Member (10)
  • 2,689 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted Yesterday, 08:41 am

Nice!   Was you Son flying the plane you travelled on?

Not on this occasion Les. It was actually his stag weekend. Cape Town is one of his favourite places and I think he would live there if his situation was different. There were 12 of us including 5 pilot friends/colleagues of his hence most of us were upgraded. One of the pilots stayed an extra day as he was flying the 747 back the following day. We had a great time - they know how to party. 

• LESmo and The Dreamer like this
2004 Azure Blue 350Z

#6 The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Zedlister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:58 am

Not on this occasion Les. It was actually his stag weekend. Cape Town is one of his favourite places and I think he would live there if his situation was different. There were 12 of us including 5 pilot friends/colleagues of his hence most of us were upgraded. One of the pilots stayed an extra day as he was flying the 747 back the following day. We had a great time - they know how to party.

Nice....

I may well know your son - I flew the Jumbo for 10 years - though it was 12 years ago that I left it for my first command. Flying the Dreamliner now - which, if your son ever struggles to decide which fleet to join once the 74 disappears, I can highly recommend - it’s a great fleet with many ‘less common’ destinations.
  • dj370zNismo and Paul_S like this

#7 dj370zNismo

dj370zNismo

Zedling

• Founding Member (10)
  • 2,689 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted Yesterday, 02:38 pm

Nice....

I may well know your son - I flew the Jumbo for 10 years - though it was 12 years ago that I left it for my first command. Flying the Dreamliner now - which, if your son ever struggles to decide which fleet to join once the 74 disappears, I can highly recommend - it’s a great fleet with many ‘less common’ destinations.

Hi Dreamer, he hasn't been on the 74 fleet that long. He was a captain on RJ's then Embraers at Cityflyer previously. I take it you are at BA?

A couple of the guys we were with are on the Triple 7 and I think he was looking at this fleet for his next move. Maybe he should reconsider........

2004 Azure Blue 350Z

#8 The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Zedlister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:11 pm

Hi Dreamer, he hasn't been on the 74 fleet that long. He was a captain on RJ's then Embraers at Cityflyer previously. I take it you are at BA?

A couple of the guys we were with are on the Triple 7 and I think he was looking at this fleet for his next move. Maybe he should reconsider........

The 777 is a great fleet - if youre senior. Im sure hell be using iBid to bid for his work, he can use it to see the sort of rosters hed be doing on the 777 vs the 78 (or any other fleet for that matter). Its major advantage, is the fact it operates out of Gatwick too, so if he lives over there, then it might make a difference.

The top of the 777 fleet is a great place to be - the bottom, not so much - unless he really likes the Middle East, and the Eastern Seaboard during the Winter!

I left a command position too to join BA, but that was 22+ years ago..... and as a skipper, Im still pretty junior (being around 75% of the way down the list on my fleet). It means I can avoid the real cr@p, but also means theres no way of getting to the top destinations (Seychelles, Durban, Charleston and the like) - but I do OK. If he can get to the 75% or better position on any fleet, hell have a decent stab at things.

The 78s great plus is the fact that we breathe clean air, it doesnt come off the engines, so no contamination - you almost feel human after a long flight!

And of course, being more efficient than the other fleets, mean we get to be the pathfinders on many new routes that the company want to try out - in many destinations, were the only long haul international flight going in there - which can be novel and interesting!

There are plenty of ex CF guys on the 78 fleet, so Im sure some of them will be able to give him the gen he needs to make an informed decision.

Still, hes flying the most iconic aircraft out there, its a great tick in the box to have - I loved my 10 years on it - just needed to do my BA command before I got too old (its a very different course to many other places, and probably the most unpleasant few months of my life)!

(Apologies for the lack of punctuation - Im on my iPad on hols in The Lakes - the last thing I want to do is get on another aircraft)!
  • LESmo likes this

#9 LESmo

LESmo

Founding Member

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,402 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted Yesterday, 04:48 pm

Anyone ever though they have a rubbish career :lol:   Boy this sounds amazing. As someone who has never flown its a daft question - but how hard is it to fly one on the big planes these days?  again I have nothing to compare it against.

#10 The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Zedlister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted Today, 11:50 am

Anyone ever though they have a rubbish career :lol:   Boy this sounds amazing. As someone who has never flown its a daft question - but how hard is it to fly one on the big planes these days?  again I have nothing to compare it against.

Not a daft question at all. I’ll try to answer it more comprehensively when I get home from my hols - but to get to fly the larger stuff requires a certain amount of experience flying smaller aircraft (10-40 tons or so). Not really because it’s any more difficult, but you need to rely on your previous experience a lot more, as you only get to fly the aircraft a few times a month - simply due to the length of flights, and the rest periods required between them.

I will just say though, that just because someone is proficient with something like Microsoft Flight Sim, doesn’t mean they can fly the real thing. Some physical actions of flying can be taught and learnt using sims like these, but that is really a tiny percentage of operating an airliner, and only experience and exposure to the real thing is useful past a fairly basic level of competence.

Taking someone from the street and training them to fly can take as little as 3-4 weeks to gain a Private Pilot’s Licence. To gain a Commercial Licence, you would be looking at a minimum of 14 months of training (with no time off), just to get your most basic level of qualification - and this, just like passing your driving test, is just a licence to learn ‘on the job’, so to speak.

So the gulf between a private pilot and a commercial qualification is huge.

I guess one of the major differences being the sort of weather we are qualified (and expected) to operate in - snowstorms, gales, fog - each present their own challenges, and you generally wouldn’t find a private pilot even attempting to fly in such conditions.

Comparing it to driving, I guess it’d be like driving in these same conditions but without the option of slowing down, knowing that you have a finite amount of fuel, and of course, you have several hundred people sat behind you, relying on you to make the right decisions every time. No pressure then! :D

This is a hugely simplified précis, as I say, I’ll try to flesh it out when I get home - most likely in a separate thread, as I’ve taken this one way off on a tangent!
  • LESmo and Cazza like this