#1 Aiden123

Aiden123

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:31 pm

Hi everyone

In the last few months my 370z has developed a bit of a nasty and annoying habit. 

Quite often when I go to unlock it with the key fob, the driver's side door doesn't unlock. I then have to climb over the passenger seat  and open the driver's side door to let me in. The warning light will keep telling me that there is no key present, even when its in the car, until both doors are shut. 

It sometimes even makes it so I can't open either door and have to climb through the boot, which is not easy! In these circumstances, the warning light will keep saying no key even if I put it as close to the key port as possible from the outside. 

The 'manual' key doesn't work either. 

I wouldn't have thought that the battery in the key fob was low as I changed it less than 2 years ago and the car is hardly used. Its mainly a weekend car nowadays. 

I do have a spare key for it, but its at my parent's house! I'll pick it up at the weekend and see if that key does the same. 

Just wanted to get your thoughts in case it might be something more serious than a dodgy key. 

Thanks in advance.

Aiden

#2 milanored

milanored

Zedlet

• Committee Member
  • PipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:55 pm

Next time it happens hit under the handle on the outside mine does it in the summer not winter worth a go there is a actuator in there that can stick I have been told

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

#3 Dave G

Dave G

Zedlet

• Members (10)
  • 519 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:42 pm

It sounds like a low battery to me.  Whilst you say it was changed around 2 years ago, button cell quality can vary wildly.  As an example, on my house alarm, if I buy cheap eBay cells (which I mostly do to be honest), the house alarm still says the battery needs replacing even after a new (cheap) cell has been installed.  If I put in a Duracell version then the house alarm is content.

I would try a branded button cell just to rule that out (only a few quid).

I am however curious... what do you mean by "The 'manual' key doesn't work either"?  That should open the lock no matter what...

#4 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,425 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:51 pm

My Top Tip for buying branded batteries is to go to Boots. Recognisable brands at competitive prices.
  • Dave G likes this

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]

#5 Aiden123

Aiden123

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 04:30 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. 

Next time it happens hit under the handle on the outside mine does it in the summer not winter worth a go there is a actuator in there that can stick I have been told

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Tried this and unfortunately didn't work.

It sounds like a low battery to me.  Whilst you say it was changed around 2 years ago, button cell quality can vary wildly.  As an example, on my house alarm, if I buy cheap eBay cells (which I mostly do to be honest), the house alarm still says the battery needs replacing even after a new (cheap) cell has been installed.  If I put in a Duracell version then the house alarm is content.

I would try a branded button cell just to rule that out (only a few quid).

I am however curious... what do you mean by "The 'manual' key doesn't work either"?  That should open the lock no matter what...

I'm pretty sure it was one of the big named brand batteries I used (Duracell maybe) so should be good quality. 

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try a new battery since they are cheap enough.

Yea the 'manual' key doesn't seem to work with unlocking the car either. I know its the right key as I have used it to unlock the car in the past. I way really confused by that as well. 

I'm also confused why the car won't unlock either door when the key fob is playing up, but the boot always opens. 

• Dave G likes this

#6 Aiden123

Aiden123

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 06:18 pm

Tried the spare key and that also has the same problem.

I forgot to pick up some new batteries when I went shopping earlier so I'll try that next. 

• Dave G likes this

#7 blobbish

blobbish

Club IT

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:27 pm

Another point to remember is that the key is always emitting  a signal. So the batteries will deplete even if not used.

I remember using the manual key once in my 370z to unlock. It doesnt make any noise, no click or anything but once turned I could open the door. I wonder if its worth scanning the car to see if any of the locks are showing a DTC, if in fact they do show DTC.

Current - 2009 GTR Premium, Stage 2
Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

#8 Dave G

Dave G

Zedlet

• Members (10)
  • 519 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:03 pm

Not a lot of the symptoms make sense, especially not unlocking with the manual key.  Keep testing various bits and keep us updated in case anyone can help...