5 replies to this topic

#1 headphones

headphones

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 12:49 pm

So I've had my 350z for over 14 years now.
It's my main car used for commuting etc.
But I'm nearly 50 and do love the look and sound of the R35.......who wouldn't ;)
Just tinkering with the thought of getting one at some point.

Do many of you Gtr owners run it as a daily?
I've a friend with a mildly modified R35....just exhaust and tune at Lichfield's.
He loves it for weekends but bought a Ford Mustang to use for commuting :lol:

Anyone regret selling the zed and wished they'd kept it to run as a "shed":lol: ?
Or is it a case of once you've got a Gtr there's no desireor need to drive to a 350z?
<a class="bbc_url" href="https://flic.kr/p/2g...r/p/2gUrNPT</a>

#2 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,753 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 January 2020 - 01:43 pm

I've had my 350 14 years and during that time owned four R35s.

The R35s became my preferred daily drives, not just for the power and 4-wheel drive but also for the gearbox with most to-ing and fro'ing being done in Auto.

The two models are very different beasts and both give me pleasure in different ways. The Z being lighter is a little more agile, whilst Rs just stick to the tarmac like glue.

I live them both but the Z has become a weekend treat, and I would still be using the R daily if I could find anywhere reasonable to park at my partners house (which is why I also acquired the Up!)
  • headphones likes this

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]

#3 headphones

headphones

Zedlet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 02:09 pm

Well I wasn't expecting that!
A Gtr to commute in and the old 350z as a weekend "treat" car :lol:
  • fastfu likes this
<a class="bbc_url" href="https://flic.kr/p/2g...r/p/2gUrNPT</a>

#4 Neutreus

Neutreus

Events Organiser

• Committee Member (10)
  • 2,998 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 January 2020 - 04:57 pm

I have experienced exactly what you are referring to (and am closer to 50 than 40!) As you can see from my sig, I went from a 350 to a 370, then got bored of waiting for the next gen so went to the dark side and bought an RS3 to experience AWD. I should have known that would lead me down the slippery slope because I've toyed with and wanted a GTR for years and it just seemed the natural progression  :lol:

Do I use my GTR as a daily drive? - well sort of. I'm fortunate in that I'm only a 10 minute walk from the Office so when I'm not going out to one of our branches or have any meetings, I often walk. But I do use the GTR just to get to the Office and run out to the offices etc and I love it every time.

Mine sounds like it's got the same tune as your friend and in honesty would I go back to a 350/370 now (or even the RS3)? That's a resounding no. I absolutely love the GTR. As John said, it's extremely planted, great in all conditions, practical (it's not the smallest of cars but neither is it the biggest - it fits snuggly into my modern garage and I get two sets of golf clubs in the boot with room to spare) and I do like the attention it gets. No-one has had a bad word to say - loads of thumbs up, pictures, people wanting to talk about her; it's a real Supercar of the people if you will - no badge snobbery/envy it seems, just respect.

Will it cost you more to run than a 350/370 - yes absolutely, but it's by no means ridiculous for the power/joy of what you are driving.

• headphones likes this

2011 Gunmetal Nissan GTR Premium Edition - Litchfield Stage 1, Miltek Y-Pipe, Alcon Discs, Ferodo DS2050 Pads, Flat bottomed steering wheel
2016 Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - APR Stage 1 tune with High Flow air filter and Secondary Decat Pipes - I'LL MISS THE POPS AND BANGS (BUT THE NEIGHBOURS WON'T)
2012 Pearl White 370Z GT Edition - Invidia Gemini catback exhaust with burnt titanium rolled tips, Stillen Gen 3 Intake Kit, UpRev, 15mm Eibach spacers, Satin Black painted bumpers - GONE TO A NEW OWNER WITHIN THE CLUB BUT WILL BE VERY FONDLY REMEMBERED.
2005 Gun Metal 350Z GT, Alezan Leather & plenty of mods - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

#5 paul_k

paul_k

Zedling

• Moderators (10)
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 08:55 pm

So 4.5 years in the Z as my only car followed by 10.5 years in the GTR as my only car and use it daily.
Why would you not want to drive such an epic car every day.
I could use the wife’s car but its a bit tedious.

Do it!!
2016 GT-R Recaro Black. Stage 1 engine and gearbox remap epic!

No 1 GT-R Black Black from Marshalls. Helmet signed by Mizuno...
Paul_S Reversing Camera - Sold.

Sept 01 2004 Z GT gunmetal Alezan gone but not forgotten

#6 JohnFK

JohnFK

ZedMeister

• Moderators (10)
  • 11,753 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 January 2020 - 04:28 pm

Just looked up some stats:

In 2009 when first GT-R delivered my Z had averaged 20k miles per year since 2005. Since then its about 6k per year and even less now. Stuck on 114k at the mo.

My Rs have done 100k miles in total so about 10 to 12k per year, until Jan last year.

Last year got the Up! and did 6k miles in it during 2019, with about 2k more split between R and Z.

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - Muttley
(its the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - The Expensive Mistress
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - Dumbo

Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R
MY11 with Recaros - The General
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - Dastardly

[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]