72 replies to this topic

#1 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 15,386 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:59 AM

This thread now also contains details of the improvements made to the 2006 'facelift' 350z and the 2007 model, for those people considering which to buy. Scroll down until you reach them - they're near the bottom of this post!

*HOT NEWS* *HOT NEWS* *HOT NEWS*

If you have to take your Z for an MOT, don't let them test the rear brakes on the rolling road, as it may naff up your Limited Slip Differential

Thanks to Damo for this information.

Common Problems/Known Issues with the 350Z

Over a period of time, since it's UK launch in 2003 a handful of minor issues, problems & glitches have cropped up regularly on the 350Z.

None of these is major, or of a serious safety nature and all can be fixed free of charge, if your car is still within its 3-year warranty period.

Not all of these faults are warranty issues for cars of all years (03 – 06), but we think that it might be handy for people who are new to the club to have a clear, general list they can print out.

This basic list may also give you an idea of what to look out for if you are a prospective buyer. Any owner/vendor worth his salt should know whether some, if not all of these things have affected his/her car.

If you click on an underlined problem it will link you to further information and/or Technical Service Bulletins about that particular problem (note that some links are only available to fully paid-up club members, simply because they are topics in the members' area, not because they are special!).

Finally, there are many more tips, hints and solutions available to fully paid-up club members, in the Owners' Club members' area.

Now read on!...

MY'03 (2002 - 2005)

WHEELS & TYRES

· Tyre Feathering (front tyres, earlier models, fitted with Bridgestone RE040K's). - Replace with RE040X's
· Incorrect wheel alignment (toe-in) on the front wheels, resulting in uneven tyre wear. - Have alignment corrected using an accurate 4-wheel laser unit!
· Rear drive shafts 'clicking' when moving off at low speed or when starting to reverse. - Renew rear drive shafts
· 'Bubbling' of the Rays alloy wheels, here and there, meaning they are corroding. - Refurbish wheel/s
· Handbrake does not stop car from moving. - ALWAYS LEAVE THE CAR IN GEAR. Dealer adjustment required

EXTERIOR
· Fuel filler cap not opening at first press of button. - Replace components with upgraded parts
· Boot lid not opening on first press of button. - Replace existing springs with heavier duty springs or, thanks to Prescience here's a link to a DIY solution (for JDM's at least)
· Boot not staying up when opened. - New boot struts

INTERIOR
· Bose stereo (on all models) – CD's skip in cold weather. - New stereo head unit (refurbished ones often manifest the same problem)
· Bose stereo (on GT models) – Left speaker cuts out. - Dealer fix
· Electric windows packing up. - New winder motor
· Windows not sealing properly, or dropping slightly at speed. - Dealer reset often works
· Squeaky seat. - Get it down to the dealer
· Airbag Warning Light stays on. - Dealer reset usually works, but it may be more serious than that, so get to the dealer asap

In addition to these common minor faults, a few owners have reported…

1. Premature clutch wear, but this is far less easy to claim as a warranty issue, as Nissan inevitably attempt to blame individual driving style, even if clutch problems arise after only a couple of thousand miles.
2. Crunching Gear Box – when changing between 5th & 6th gears. This is a warranty issue.

Also, the quality of paint has given cause for concern. It chips easily and it is applied as a very thin layer. Nissan say the chipping is a feature of modern water-based paints and that all modern cars are prone to it.

If you discover any of these problems, rest assured YOU ARE NOT ALONE and there is someone here in the Owners' Club, on your side, who will help you through the issue.

MY'06 (2006)

Oil Consumption Issue
CHECK YOUR OIL WEEKLY! There is really only one issue of any note, with some of the 2006 cars. This is excessive oil consumption in the 300bhp 'rev-up' engine. Nissan will only take any notice of your complaint if your car uses in excess of 2 litres of oil in 1000 miles and you have checked it regularly. In these cases owners have been given new engines, under warranty. Your car will have to be given an oil consumption check by a Nissan Dealer, over a period of time.

Some owners are finding that their engine uses around 0.5 litres of oil per 1000 miles and others have reported that their car uses no oil at all.

It is important to keep checking the dipstick weekly, because the excessive consumption issue has been known to occur on MY'06 cars that have previously not used an excessive amount of oil.

One or two unfortunate owners who have not checked oil levels regularly have suddenly been presented with a blown-up engine and good old Nissan are not interested in a warranty claim in these cases, despite the fact that they have fitted a clearly faulty engine. :teeth:

MY'07 (2007)
At the time of writing, some owners are starting to report a problem with the alarm.
A pattern seems to be developing, with the alarm sounding for no reason. It is a warranty fix. Further details will be provided as and when they appear.

PERSONAL ISSUES(with many thanks to Prescience for the idea)

...finally, we're starting to compile a list of 'personal issues' that ownership may bring to the surface -

1. Colour Thuggery - An irrational urge to defend the colour of your own car by making unpleasant, detrimental remarks about other people's, if they are not the same colour as your own. E.g., Sunset = 'Rust'; Gun Metal = 'Primer'; or 'I wouldn't have my ashes scattered near a Kuro'. In serious cases, CT develops into FCS (Fastest Colour Syndrome), where the sufferer is convinced that his car can go faster than anyone elses, simply because of its colour - The only cure is to sit him next to a twin turbo of a different colour, at the traffic lights. Unless of course his car is Ebisu/Black Pearl - which is faster than the fastest car on the planet (and the best colour too :?: ).

2. Zed Eye - The result of spending an inordinate amount of time peeking out of the window to make sure it's really yours/still there/really as beautiful as you thought. (Has also manifested itself as seeing Zeds that aren't really there - sometimes on TV - Woreod!)

3. Zed Neck - A kind of sneaky, furtive twitch that occurs as you're walking away from the parked car, enabling you to turn your head for just one more look :teeth: (Some owners try to cover up this behaviour by pretending to lock their car when they know full well it's already locked.)

4. The Soppy Grin - No cure - It's permanent :bounce:

5. Zed Alienation - After spending all weekend cleaning the car, adding bits to it, taking bits off, polishing it, going on the website and driving it around a bit, you suddenly remember you had a family once.

6. *Mirror Syndrome* - the uncontrollable urge to look at the 350's reflection in any office/shop window while driving past...

7. Zedicide - A term first coined by Woreod, to crystalise all those feelings you get when you don't have your Z. It may be in for repairs and they've given you a Micra - and you just feel like crashing the thing into the nearest solid object. It may be that you've sold your Z and you're awaiting delivery of your new one. Or you've sold your Z and every time you open the door of your new Audi you quietly kick the sill, because you hate it. Or worse still, you've sold your Z and wake up in the night screaming, "Noooo nooooo!". No known cure - just get another Z.

8. Zedrage - That feeling you get when you return home from having had your car repaired/serviced by the Main Dealer, you inspect it and find that the Brembo calipers have been chipped, it's got a new dent/scratch, there are dirty greasy marks inside, the alloys are marked, it's got an extra 35 miles on the clock ...and the problem it went in for is still there :teeth:

Nissan Customer Service - 01923 899 334

Improvements & Changes on the Facelift 2006 model, over the 2003-2005 model (random list)...

03 to 05 engine

276 bhp @ 6,200 rpm (243 lb-ft)
274 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm (250 hp)

06 engine (also on the 2005 GT4 Special Edition Z's)

296 bhp @ 6,400 rpm (246 lb-ft)
260 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm (237 hp)

Bi zenon headlights

18" Rays alloys as standard

Deeper zorst note

Much improved front end

Feels quicker throughout the rev range, the loss of torque thing gets so old, what is it...9nm? it has a more even spread of torque where you need it, certainly doesn't feel any slower from low down, feels less strangled at the top end too.

Shiny Air-Con Knobs

Soft-touch plastic/better quality plastic all around you.

More shiny aluminiumey bits.

Better position for the hazard warning light switch.

Better position for the heated seat switches.

Nicer, bigger, illuminated buttons on the steering wheel

Illuminated cup holders (in doors)

350Z Owners Club Spotted Card Holder Tray in dashboard

More/ better storage near the handbrake area

Bluetooth integrated phone module as standard

Speed-sensitive power steering

Lighter clutch pedal

Material covering in door pockets.

Improved button on dashboard cubby door.

Nicer rear strut bar cover.

Slightly nicer "tonneau cover"

Alu bevels on the dials which reflect the red from the needles and look really schweeeet

Dash cubby door that actually fits

Double bottle/cup holder in the centre console

Bigger knee pads

Bigger passenger net

Bi zenon headlamps

LED tail lamps

Annoying ding when you go over 15mph without the seatbelt on

Redesigned front bumper, wider at the bottom, looks lower too, less slats on the grille, which are now gunmetal not cheapo looking black plastic,

There's a new redline of 7,000rpm (up by 400rpm)

Variable Valve Timing on the exhausts as well as the inlets

2 colour changes - Pearlescent Black (Ebisu) and Universal Silver :teeth:

The rubber seal around the boot is hard rubber rather than spongy - thanks to MrUnderground for this gem.

Changes to the 2007 (MY'07) model from the 2006 (MY'06) model...

80% different engine (from 296bhp up to 309bhp)

New redline - 7,500rpm

Bonnet bulge to accommodate new engine

Illuminated ignition switch

A couple of new colours (Midnight Blue & Tangoey Orange) - other than that they're the same.

© 350zUKownersclub - 2006/2007/2008
  • inetryconydot likes this

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

How to post pics on this forum CLICK HERE

Prospective buyer's/new owners' guide to second-hand 350Zs (includes MY06 & MY07 improvements) - CLICK HERE

All assistance I attempt to give comes with the Murray Walker health warning, "Unless I'm very much mistaken ...I AM very much mistaken!"

'53 plate Gunmetal Grey 350z >>> '56 plate Ebisu Black 350z >>> '10 plate Universal Silver 370z >>> '14 plate Mineral Grey BMW M235i >>> '65 plate Gunmetal 370z

Tokyo Motor Show, October 2017???

#2 Nobbie

Nobbie

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:27 PM

Good post Geoff, thanks :bounce:
Posted Image

#3 Teatowel

Teatowel

Zedling

• User
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:14 PM

Good post mate ;)

And you linked to a thread I started :P ;) ;)

Oops, sorry, just read your post above ;) I just got excited :wub:

Like coming home

When you don't know where you've been

Like black coffee

Like nicotine

#4 Tumbleweeds

Tumbleweeds

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:46 PM

Nice post! Although I'm feeling rather unlucky given that I've suffered 10 of those 12 issues :)

#5 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 15,386 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:35 AM

Thanks guys!

CAN ALL POSTERS ON THIS THREAD PLEASE RESTRICT THEMSELVES TO POSTING SUGGESTIONS FOR CHANGES/ADDITIONS TO THE FIRST POST - Cheers, Geoff.

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

Prospective buyer's/new owners' guide to second-hand 350Zs (includes MY06 & MY07 improvements) - CLICK HERE

All assistance I attempt to give comes with the Murray Walker health warning, "Unless I'm very much mistaken ...I AM very much mistaken!"

'53 plate Gunmetal Grey 350z >>> '56 plate Ebisu Black 350z >>> '10 plate Universal Silver 370z >>> '14 plate Mineral Grey BMW M235i >>> '65 plate Gunmetal 370z

#6 Damo

Damo

Zedling

• User
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:43 PM

An excellent thread Geoff :teeth:

I thought it might be worth mentioning about the "don't let the MOT tester put your Zed on the brake rollers, as it will naff up your Limited Slip Rear Diff" as some of us are nearing the dreaded 1st MOT :P

you can delete this if it's not applicable here :D
Thinking about "modding" your car? Don't forget the driver! - CAT Driver Training - click for Members discounts

Need to know how to do a job on your Zed? Check out the "How to's" section - click here

The definitive Tyre Choice Poll click here to vote and see the results

Posted Image

Send me your "How to's" - howto@nissansportz.com

#7 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 15,386 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:53 PM

Well remembered Damo! I'll put it right at the top of the first post - but as many of us aren't newbies and may not look at this thread, it needs a place of its own as well, don't you think?

How about you make a new topic in the general section and we pin it above this one?

G

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#8 Sparky

Sparky

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:02 AM

q

So what happens when the MOT rollign road thing breaks the LSD then? WHat are the symptoms

Mine has just been for an MOT, its a RWD car with an LSD (not a Zed tho) and it has been handling a bit wierd, hope they didnt shag mine?

#9 blackiepaul

blackiepaul

Zedling

• User
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 12:33 PM

I have just put one UK penney in each of my "springy" things on my rear hatch. I never noticed the origonal thread on this so thanks as it works brilliantly. It was my major problem with the car especially as I now have the rear wing on.
Blackie.............

Posted Image

got something british for a while

SOLD VERSION NISMO
. Some pics

#10 bigtone

bigtone

Zedling

• User (10)
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:41 PM

q

you forgot
*mirror syndrome*
the uncontrollable urge to look at the 350's reflection in any office/shop window while driving past...
or is that one just me... :o
project phoenix
10.85sec @ 136mph (1/4mile)
3 miles to the gallon rocks

Posted Image
I hope they sell Stella in Hell...

#11 Chubbs

Chubbs

ZedMeister

• Members (10)
  • 15,386 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:25 AM

:) Nice one Tone!!! How stupid of me :( Of course it's not only you. How the hell could I have forgotten that one :o

It is duly added! :o

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

#12 headbanger

headbanger

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:20 PM

q

Nope.. that's me as well :(

Quick Q knowing nothing at all about MOTs ... What are the other ways of brake tests for MOT centres ?

#13 Damo

Damo

Zedling

• User
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:28 PM

q
The other brake test is to put a "thing" in the passenger foot well and road test the car. Sorry I can't remember the correct name :( :(
Thinking about "modding" your car? Don't forget the driver! - CAT Driver Training - click for Members discounts

Need to know how to do a job on your Zed? Check out the "How to's" section - click here

The definitive Tyre Choice Poll click here to vote and see the results

Posted Image

Send me your "How to's" - howto@nissansportz.com

#14 Teatowel

Teatowel

Zedling

• User
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:51 PM

q

You forgot the one about most owners grinning insanely but wanting an RX8 secretly instead :(

Like coming home

When you don't know where you've been

Like black coffee

Like nicotine

#15 gregor

gregor

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:29 PM

q
An accelerometer?

#16 Crisis

Crisis

Founding OC Chairman

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:41 PM

q

Close, a Decelerometer :(
Giles

Posted Image

#17 gregor

gregor

Zedlet

• User
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:03 AM

:dry:

Close - a decelerometer conforming to Sub Section 3.7 B, page 25, and C, page 26 of the MoT Testers Manual :(

[Just yanking yer chain]

Here is the section of the MoT Tester's Manual which instructs that vehicles with a LSD are not to be used on roller brake tester - and should be printed, waved or rammed somewhere as appropriate

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_370.htm

Not that its much comfort, but if they do carry out the test in this way, they are at fault and thus are most likely liable for any damage - I would pursue it legally, put it that way

#18 bigpete355

bigpete355

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:34 AM

Had car in this morning for its clicking on the half shafts as mentioned in your list. Its already been greased and my halfshafts are the newer type as it only allegedly affects older cars (my ones a 54 plate).
After greasing and torquing its still clicking and they are waiting for nissan to say what to do next.
Ive been told by Benfield that it isnt a warrenty item and theres been a few people paid for it (roughly £400) just to get rid of the noise.
Just so you know if yours is doing the same :-)

#19 Phoenix

Phoenix

Zedling

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:38 AM

q
Welcome Pete :P
Go back and tell the dealer that they don't know what they are talking about. The clicking axle problem most certainly is a warranty issue and the problem will be fixed.

I had both sides of my car done just a couple of weeks ago and mine was first registered in April 2005.

Put your point across in a firm manner and you will win :lol:
This car is a quality build.... Nissan could learn something!

#20 bigpete355

bigpete355

Zedlister

• User
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:24 PM

q

Thanks, ive actually got onto Nissan itself to try and sort it out. The way the dealler was talking Nissan arent sure how long the fix will be before it starts clicking again. I work for Nissan so im trying to look into it :-) Ill post up how i get on if and when it gets sorted. :lol: