CAT Driver Training

Post HERE, if you're currently a LURKER

q

Welcome Darren - What did you think of the 300zx - I saw a few nice ones at JAE and I'd like to find out more about them. What are its good and bad points?

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hope these are ok

Been a lurking for a little while so thought I'd relent and actually post something.   I have 2 Z33's at the moment, an 03 Version S import and another import being meticulously prepped after passing

Hello all, I am a newbie having just bought an Infiniti G37 Looking forward to learning from fellow owners

Posted Images

q

Buy a 350z! Won't comment on ST's as I'm biased (I think they are chavy mid life crises/boy racer "chariots:) and as good as my old standard, then 400bhp 300ZX tt was, the 350z is a more comfortable and refined car in almost every way. Far easier to live with (and sell!). Oh yeah, Welcome btw! :bounce:

q

:bounce: WELCOME AUDREY & HUBBY! :drive1 [/font]

Congratulations on the purchase - nice colour ;)

You really need to make a new thread in the 'new around here' area, post some pics there and say a proper hello! We don't bite often :clap:

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

q

Would have thought it was a FairladyZ type ST he was talking about...might be wrong though, I usually am! :drive1

:bounce: to you all!

Seb

sebsig.jpg

The Zed has gone! After 7 years of 350Z Ownership including having owned 2 of them, I've now got a Vauxhall VXR8 Bathurst S Jaguar

(A French Racing Blue XFR-S with 550bhp :) - no string back driving gloves in sight!)

The Zed will be missed though - superb car, never missed a beat!

Night Blue 350Z GT with Nismo LM GT4 19s

Invidia GT300 Y-Pipe Back Exhaust System

East Shore Racing Y-Pipe

Brembo Drilled Front Discs and Pads

Stillen Dual Air Intakes

Spill Grounding Kit

q

Nope, I think you're right. :teeth: :bounce: I was extremely tired yesterday and kept writing crap in all my work emails too! :drive1 Even more tired today tho... roll on the weekend (so I can sleep).

Welcome everyone btw! :doh:

Edited by eyedee

Yes guys I was talking about a Fairlady Z version ST! lol

the 300zx was awesome. it was a uk car and I had spent loads of money on it I basically rebushed the entire suspension, added eibach springs, kyb agx adjustable shocks, r33 gtr brembos, 350z rays rims, anti roll bars, made it look like a 1999-2001 spec JDM... and some other stuff i dnt remember...

it had 1 previous owner and only had 36k miles when i got it 2 years ago, now has 50k miles. What I did was try to make it look and feel as modern as possible and i definately succeeded. It was quick and handled awesome.

I've driven 350z' before and what I found was that a 350z drives/feels very similar to how my car was and how i assume a brand new 300zx would (since I completely refreshed my suspension). The difference is that the 350 is a bit sharper on the throttle and better handling too. i guess its just down to the 350 being more moden with a more rigid body, new productions methods etc. Having said that I havent driven a 300zx 2 seater slicktop, but again in terms of handling I assume the 350z would have the edge.

Since most 300zx' in the UK are old cars you have to look out for the standard stuff like servicing history, rust, suspension bush wear damage repair etc. contrary to what many people say here in the UK, they are totally tunable and reliable cars. like anything as long as it was looked after it will be fine. those who buy a 300zx because its a cheap car generally have problems maybe due to overlooking wear etc and not fixing anything because they see the car as 'cheap power', but the enthusiast owned cars are usually fine.

300zx' were made until 2000 and the last was sold in 2001; JDM models. There are only a couple of those here, but theres no model report to import them.

since i've done the 300zx thing, i'm thinking of getting a 350 even though they are a tad slower!

q

Geoff, like the 350z they are all round good performers. Comfortable everyday car with impressive performance. Handle suprisingly well considering they are quite heavy too. Standard brakes not so great but ok. Suspension def wallows when cornering and turbo pickup can be a little slow but when the twins kick in they are progressively powerful - more a comfortable push rather than a wild lunge at the horizon but very fast.

As an idea of cost, my good mate's selling his K reg Auto twin turbo targa. 62K miles total. Its had a full engine rebuild (3000 miles ago) with all new seals, water pump and oil pump (a b!t@h to get too) and two new Uni T25 turbo's. Running standard setup it's pushing about 325bhp and with £600 spent on a new exhaust, induction kit and chip will reliably provide 400bhp no problem. Its got climate control, cruise control - all the usual refinements. 12 months MOT, standard alloys, could do with a paint touchup or two but overall good cosmetic condition. He's after offers around £3900. It's a PERFECT car for a modder IMO.

Hope thats of interest ( :doh: buy the car, buy the car, buy the car) :bounce:

q

You can call me Nathan :drive1 He hasnt advertised it yet. It's being MOT'd today and he was planning to advertise it this weekend. His name is David, lives in Shepperton in Surrey and would be more than happy to answer any questions you have, because he is a genuinely decent chap! :doh: 07890 097 303

cheers :bounce:

Hi all

Another lurker here. :drive1

Reason for lurking is that I'm 90% sure that I'm going to purchase a UK Z in the next couple of weeks.

Had a company car for the last few years as I'm doing 80 mile round trip per day, but changing job and will be commuting to London by train so out goes the diesel and in comes something fun!! I had to sell a VX220 when I took the company car so want to get something again, which makes me want to go for a Sunday morning blast!

Although my company cars weren't that bad, Civic Type R and at present a Seat Leon FR Tdi I couldn't really track them...

So to releive the pain, I brought Pug 205 off ebay, which I've slowly modded and stripped over the last two and half years... not chavvy style though, let me point out :teeth:, still looks standard but keeps up with Exiges and Elises no problem.

Only 90% sure about getting a 350, as I may need something which I can tow a race car, but to get the race car involves selling the 205 trackday car which I've put a lot of money and love into :doh:

As soon as I've purchased a 350z I'll join the club of course.

From the Milton Keynes area and experience of dealers so far... :bounce: And I've not even brought a car yet!

From what I've read already looks like a great, friendly informative forum!

By the way, whens the Ring trip planned?

Cheers

Adam

Hi Addo!!

Marshall Nissan, in Cambridge - You're in luck, they're the best 350z dealer in the country - and only a short drive from you - I got my last Z from there and haven't regretted it for a second!

...only 90% sure? Put a towbar on the thing if you have to, but for godsake get one - They just have the grin factor you're looking for mate :doh:

...oh, and welcome to the Club!

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

q

Cheers Chubbs

Yeah I've been keeping an eye on nissan used car site. Still debating the choice between dealer and private especially if it's still under three years old. I would obviously get a full AA inspection if going private.

I couldn't believe the standard warranty from MK Glyn Hopkin for a used Z over 3 years old was only 6 months!!

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie Lurker from across the pond in the wilds of Montana.

Just discovered this forum as a new 350Z owner and sometimes Anglophile (have visited UK several times and had a minor in English lit in college, even subscribe to the Economist.)

Just bought my second Z: Silver Roadster Enthusiast, auto, bags, carpet, etc.--a 2006 but brand-new. After hard negotiation paid US$32,900.05 (16,344 UK) with MSRP of about $37,784 (18,770 UK).

I'm now a semi-retired mostly toothless old lion getting ready for Medicare, but love to feel the joy, once again, of wind in my sparse white hair and a heavy foot on the accelerator on winding, empty (mostly) Montana roads. Its a good life, and I hope to enjoy fully what remains.

I look forward to visiting the forums.

HIOSLVR

q

What a lovely first post, Lone Ranger!

Why are you only sometimes an anglophile!!! - typo I bet!

You Americans are sooo lucky - The same car would cost up to $50,000 - £25,000 in England :( - then there's the price of fuel :cry:

Try to organise your next UK visit to coincide with one of our meets - We'd love to see you. Maybe you could bring FrankieZZ, our US committee member, in your suitcase.

Just one final thing - Make a new thread in the 'new around here' area, WITH PICS - we love to see other people's Zeds, especially if they have the steering wheel on the wrong side :)

...just call me Tonto :blush:

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

im a lurker (well one for a night)

and i came here for advice for my zed model knowing this is the best place for it and i have to say i use a number of forums

one regular and it took 8-9 replies for a decent reply

on here, first reply was what i wanted, cant ask for more than that

q

Lurking for 6 months! :teeth: You naughty man!!! :dance: :D

Now, as your punishment, you have to post some pics of your car and tell us all about it. Think you'll find there's more than one member who lives in your area!!

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B