RJN Motorsport

Anyone Fancy Swapping Colours With Me?

skytek

Hello chaps and ladies,

Some of you may have heard me moan about this on here before but I still just can't get used to my Sunset Orange. Some days when it's clean and the light is right I think it looks awesome and I feel all cool but the rest of the time I just feel liike it's too bling and attention grabbing and it's not quite even orange anyway. I've had the car almost a year now I think and I still miss my black one I had before even though it was a non GT import :teeth:.

With the credit crunch (ahhh I'm fed up hearing about it!) hanging over us all, the idea of selling and buying one in another colour while the market has gone to poop is just too stressful for me to even think about. It will likely sit on the market for ages and ages, inviting all sorts of dreamers and tyre kickers to take up my afternoons and entertain me with prank calls.

So....are any of you chaps out there thinking the very opposite to me with regard to the colour? Is anyone thinking "darn I love my Zed but I just wish I had an orange one!"? If so, maybe we can do a swap and both be happier people within our lives! :surrender:

Mine's a 2004 UK GT in Sunset Orange with 50k on the clock and in excellent condition, recent service and with no problems other than needing new tyres fairly soon and a scratch on the rear bumper that I will be having painted after Christmas. I'll swap for a 2003-2005 UK GT with similar mileage but in Black, Azure Blue or Gunmetal. If yours is better than mine (in terms of age and milage) I could probably add some cash into the deal and if it's worse you can throw in some cash or if the crunch has your cash pocket tight then something else to add to the swap to make it a fair deal, like a huge box of flamin' hot wotsits and an ipod.

So who's up for it?!!

Mate,

I feel the need to put a sense of reality into this thread. Can you honestly see someone doing a swap on a car simply for colour? On top of that you need to learn how to sell something. Saying its "t's too bling and attention grabbing and it's not quite even orange anyway" is not the way to sell a proposition.

However I have a solution that I think is a ) realistic and b ) not going to cost you as much as selling your car and buying a new one:

Get a wrap on it. Depending on detail and graphic required these cost from about 1800 to 3k and will cover the whole car in the colour of your choice. It can be done in less than a day and when the time comes to sell it you either just leave it on or if you prefer peel it off.

I hope you dont think Im knocking you, but expecting a straight swap is a fairytale idea and one that is bound to end in tears if it was ever to happen. There are some simple facts, youve got the car and you choose the colour. If you dont like it, the most realistic option is to change it, or sell it. If money is tight, and I know it is for most people, then you either stick it out, or you do something as cost effective as possible. Personally the advice Id give to you, is live with it as its just a colour, until you can afford to sell paint or wrap.

Again forgive me I dont mean to sound harsh, I just want to inject some realism into this thread.

I know some people who have had cars wrapped so if your interested, I can find out the suppliers.

Hope that is of some help.

Dash

Hi mate.

I have to slightly disagree with Dash in that I think there are people out there who would be willing to change colour because as soon as I read this thread I wanted to swap with you - I wanted a sunset more then anything but couldnt find one so settled with the Blade. I do love the Blade but would still prefer Sunset. But I 100% agree with him in regards to it being a difficult sale and probably end in tears. If you go with the swap and later find out there is something wrong with either your car or the one you swapped it for its all going to go get ugly.

Dash is spot on with the wrapping. Ive been doing a lot of research on this through a company called Racoon. They do wraps in all colours and also will print any graphics you want. They will even wrap in Mat Black which is what I was looking into. This is the price they quoted me

1) Whole car in Mat Black (inc wing mirrors) - £1300 plus VAT

Pretty sure the price would be similar for any colour you like so its definitely an option. Then when you sell it you can advertise it as two colours because the wrap is easily removed to leave your glistening sunset paintwork underneath which has been nicely protected (at a cost of £250 for professional removal)

If our cars were the exact same spec I would swap with you in a shot mate as Ive always wanted sunset but with the amount of modification, money spent, body kit, suspension, exhaust and personal touches it would be difficult to arrange a deal.

Heres my car. If it was closer to standard Id have been more then up for a swap mate

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/bundus/350z-1.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/bundus/Picture005.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys.

Dash, thanks for taking the time to offer advice but with regard to "realism", for the couple of minutes it took me to make the post, if someone says "hmmm I might be up for this" then it's been worthwhile, no matter how much of a long shot.

"Can you honestly see someone doing a swap on a car simply for colour?" Yes, as has been proven already.

"Saying its "t's too bling and attention grabbing and it's not quite even orange anyway" is not the way to sell a proposition."

Selling something the best way is one thing. Being honest is another. I just wanted to be honest as to why I don't like the orange. Not alot of people would be swayed easily on a colour by someone elses personal taste. If someone told me they thought black was disgusting I'd still like it :surrender:

It's not that money is tight for me that holds me back from selling. It's that the market is very very slow at the moment, especially where I live and especially when it comes to 'gas guzzling sports cars' and I don't have time to answer calls on a near daily basis and offer veiwings and be messed around for the next 6 months due to everyone's reluctance to spend any money during the economy crisis. If I thought I could sell my Zed within a month I'd have it up for sale and buy another in another colour for similar money. It's just that I know it wouldn't be as simple as that.

Bundus has just proven by his post that there are people out there who could potentially be up for a swap if the specs of the cars were more similar. Some people choose their colour because it's the next best colour available at the time to what they actually wanted. I know tears could be a result if I get a duff deal or if the other person isn't happay about something with my car but a thorough examination and aven an RAC check of both cars would reduce this plus our reputation as club members would be at stake too if anyone did a wrong doing.

I've been interested in the wrap idea for a while now too but couldn't really justify covering my car in coloured sticky plastic for around the same cost as having it fully resprayed. £1,800 - £3,000 is what I'd pay over here for a full respray with the upper figure being the best quality job.

I didn't expect to get anywhere with this thread but at the end of the day there's no harm in asking, just in case there's someone here that is in the same boat as I am.

Bundus has just proven by his post that there are people out there who could potentially be up for a swap if the specs of the cars were more similar.

I may be a bit of an exeption though mate - I swap my cars all the time as I get bored easily but there is certainly a chance that someone else on here is bored of theirs and looking for a sunset! I did a post recently about us all swapping cars so we could enjoy the excitement of a new zed, new colour, new mods etc without the financial burden of selling and rebuying but I think most people are more personally attached to their cars then I am. With the ammount of mods on mine I wouldnt trade it for the world now but had yours been a similar spec with the only difference being the colour Id have been there in a shot.

I've been interested in the wrap idea for a while now too but couldn't really justify covering my car in coloured sticky plastic for around the same cost as having it fully resprayed. £1,800 - £3,000 is what I'd pay over here for a full respray with the upper figure being the best quality job.

You can get the full car wrapped by Racoon for £1300 plus VAT. A big saving over a respray and a better option IMO. Its not permanent, it looks just as good, it can be removed on resale so you can actually offer the car in two different colours and it protects your original paintwork the whole time its on. Wrapping is win-win IMO and definitely the way Id go if changing the colour.

Bundus - Your car looks awesome!! Alot of work has clearly gone into that. I would have been looking for a standard car though. What front bumper is that? It looks :surrender:

Thanks mate. I have indeed spent a hell of a lot of moneyt and a lot of time on it but if im honest the hard work was already done when I bought it from Japan. The full kit, wheels and hks suspension were already on the car so I got kinda lucky.

I may be a bit of an exeption though mate - I swap my cars all the time as I get bored easily but there is certainly a chance that someone else on here is bored of theirs and looking for a sunset! I did a post recently about us all swapping cars so we could enjoy the excitement of a new zed, new colour, new mods etc without the financial burden of selling and rebuying but I think most people are more personally attached to their cars then I am. With the ammount of mods on mine I wouldnt trade it for the world now but had yours been a similar spec with the only difference being the colour Id have been there in a shot.

Yeah I know what you're saying. I think I'm a bit like you in the sense that I love getting a new car ina new colour, even if it's the same car! I get bored after a while. Before I discovered how great Zeds were I used to change cars about every 6 - 8 months. If my Zed was black or Azure Blue it would be more of a long term keeper for me until I can afford the new 370z in a couple of years.

Yeah I know what you're saying. I think I'm a bit like you in the sense that I love getting a new car ina new colour, even if it's the same car! I get bored after a while. Before I discovered how great Zeds were I used to change cars about every 6 - 8 months. If my Zed was black or Azure Blue it would be more of a long term keeper for me until I can afford the new 370z in a couple of years.

do you live in MK?

Nice pics mate - damn I love that colour. Id be tempted to have a chat with you about the swap but not sure how far we would get.

It's ok I won't waste your time because I'd really only be looking for a UK GT in Blue, Black or Gun Metal. I do like Blades when they are kitted but it would have to be a UKer though. Yours does look tasty though.

Edited by skytek

The only benefit a wrap has over a respray would be resell value as the car has not been painted and would not lead to questions about damage or contradictions on the V5.

Just trying to help mate.

Dash

From that point of view it does make alot of sense. Changine the colour while keeping the original colour underneath does seem like a clever idea. I would worry that the wrap wouldn't be as tough as paint though. If you get a minor scratch you can't just t-cut and polish it. How durable is the wrap materlai to stone chips and wear and tear? If a panel got torn or damaged could you have just the one panel re-wrapped as a reasonable cost or would it be a fortune?

Edited by skytek

I think the wrap is very durable, prob to the extent that paint shield...

If you go for one colour then I guess just the 1 panel can be rewrapped... but if you go for something different then you may have an issue... Also the possibilities for colours / patterns with wrapps is virtually endless...

And another thing, you can get rid of some of the panel joins (like the one that goes between the side sills and the body) without the fear of the join cracking....

And from this I am guessing that you can polish / wax the wrap!

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff43/thetangoman/245Echromebugatti1.jpg

FOOTER3-1.jpg

Uprev FTMFW!

Chargespeed - Ings - Nismo - Recaro - Volk - Gallery - K&N - Cusco - Endless - 5zigen - RS-R

Kinetix - Clearcorners.com - Tommy Kaira - Kenwood - RSW - Varis - Ingallis - Pithon

Chilli Red Performance Parts JC Auto Refinishing Abbey Motorsport

From that point of view it does make alot of sense. Changine the colour while keeping the original colour underneath does seem like a clever idea. I would worry that the wrap wouldn't be as tough as paint though. If you get a minor scratch you can't just t-cut and polish it. How durable is the wrap materlai to stone chips and wear and tear? If a panel got torn or damaged could you have just the one panel re-wrapped as a reasonable cost or would it be a fortune?

I asked all the same questions when I was researching mate

Here is an extract from Beth's response.

"With regards to stone chips the wrap is brilliant at protecting against them as it is, same goes for small scratches and scuffs. I have attached an article from Fleet Magazine which talks about the recently stripped SKY vans and as you can see the resale value was much higher than average on them because of the condition the paint work was in when the wrap was stripped.

A small scuff on the film would literally just be a small scuff, the only way it would cause it to peel is if you were unlucky enough to catch it right on the edge and even then the vinyl is so close to the paintwork it would be a miracle! Additionally panels can be replaced very easily as there is no colour to match, more often than not with small scuffs they never actually penetrate the laminate, therefore protecting the vinyl, the laminate can be buffed also. If the laminate was to be penetrated then you may have to consider replacing the panel"

Im pretty sure they could cover the inside of the doors and boot etc but the engine bay may be a different issue. They car wrap pretty much anything that you can see so I cant see it would be a problem other then access but youd have the same issue if painting. Whatever you can do with paint you can wrap (as far as I know)

Having seen a wrap being done on one of the RJN cars at the 'ring in May this year, I'd have to say that this would be my preferred option over a respray :surrender:

med_gallery_64_284_87189.jpg

med_gallery_64_284_64800.jpg

med_gallery_64_284_40189.jpg

Thinking about "modding" your car? Don't forget the driver! - CAT Driver Training - click for Members discounts

Need to know how to do a job on your Zed? Check out the "How to's" section - click here

The definitive Tyre Choice Poll click here to vote and see the results

damo%20sig3.jpg

Send me your "How to's" - howto@nissansportz.com