Adrian Flux

Oil temperatures in the 370z

Ok, so I have read loads about potential oil temperature issues with the 370z if you are tracking the car.

Day to day driving it is not an issue - motorway driving or queues, the needle doesn't move much between 90 and 100C. But it is starting to worry me a little because when I do some more 'spirited' driving around country lanes (i.e. lots of 2nd and 3rd gear hard reving & braking), the needle is gradually creeping up to the 110C mark. I know the 'danger danger need a break' temperature is 130 & that the car goes into limp mode at this point. Therefore, I have 20C difference in what I am seeing now versus the danger zone. Given I've only owned the car during the winter, I am concerned that this type of driving might push me near to or onto the danger point if we have a hot summer.

In the USA it appears you can have an oil cooler fitted by Nissan dealers i.e. an OEM part - seen this mentioned numerous time on USA-focused forums. So I decided to ring a Nissan HPC in the UK to see if this is an option to have fitted OEM in the UK.

I spoke with Martin in parts at Nissan HPC in Bournemouth. Martin hadn't come across it before, but duly took my name and number & said he would make some inquiries on my behalf. Will report back when I get an answer.....

The temps can get high quite quickly. As you say, you don't want it to go limp!

I think I am right in saying there is no official cooler for the UK so it will be interesting to see what they have to say.

It might well be that your best bet will be Abbey Motorsport or Horsham Developments who will be able to supply and fit one for you. RJN Motorsport is another option.

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Z* with a plethora of minor bespoke mods'

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

So, no Nissan GB part is listed. Do we have any US-based forum members who could check whether the oil-coolers being fitted in the US are Nissan supplied or after-market but fitted by Nissan dealers?

Martin's view was that these could affect the timing of the engine & also compromise warranty claims if an after-market version were fitted.

His recommendation was to try some different (i.e. higher specification) oil but he was aware of this problem on both the 370z (engine oil) and on GTRs (gearbox oil).

Based on his comment around the warranty being invalidated, I asked if they were able to supply and fit (and retain warranty) Nismo parts. He's going to check into that around air intakes & exhaust parts.

On the GTR with 0W040 they recommend changing the engine oil within 1800 miles (now 3000) if the temps get between 110 C - 130 C

Immediate change is required at 130.

There is no way to get the GTR engine oil over about 95 on fast road driving as it has an oil cooler. The engine oil is always at a lower temperature than the transmission oil when at the track.

Sounds like an engine oil cooler is a definite requirement for fast use.

2016 GT-R Recaro Black. Stage 1 engine and gearbox remap epic!

No 1 GT-R Black Black from Marshalls. Helmet signed by Mizuno...

Paul_S Reversing Camera - Sold.

Sept 01 2004 Z GT gunmetal Alezan gone but not forgotten

Another option would be a greddy deep sump which holds more oil and is finned for extra cooling.

That sounds like a very tidy solution Kev. Do you know if it's as efficient at cooling? It sounds a lot easier to bolt on / off so I could do it at home :)

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Z* with a plethora of minor bespoke mods'

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

http://i.ebayimg.com/15/%21Bll%28ikQBWk~$%28KGrHqMH-DkEtrWUsdJwBLcQKEsNVg~~_12.JPG

This is what i was referring to, Keyser has one on his S/c 350 and seems to think it helps keep oil temps down.

So, a bit of searching and i found this on another forum:

http://www.the370z.com/nissan-370z-general-discussions/3044-everyone-oil-temp-issues-55.html#post129159

So apparently there is an official Nissan part but their letter confirms warranty does not remain in tact. Eh?

Telephone call to Nissan HPC tomorrow to see if we can get this in the UK.

• 9 years later...
On 3/29/2012 at 7:27 PM, 2011_370z said:

So, a bit of searching and i found this on another forum:

http://www.the370z.com/nissan-370z-general-discussions/3044-everyone-oil-temp-issues-55.html#post129159

So apparently there is an official Nissan part but their letter confirms warranty does not remain in tact. Eh?

Telephone call to Nissan HPC tomorrow to see if we can get this in the UK.

Did you ever get any further with this?

Not sure you'll get a response from the OP. He was last here in March 2017.

2017 370Z Nismo / 2020 SEAT Ateca FR Black Edition / 2001 BMW E39 540i 4.4 V8 Sport / 2015 French C1 Thingy....