RJN Motorsport

Forward / Front camera for a Nissan 370Z

Oh, and on the subject of the video senders interfering with each other, it might be that one from a different manufacturer may not clash. No guarantees, but worth a thought.

If I hadn't just bought one myself I'd have taken one off your hands mate.

• Like 1

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Z* with a plethora of minor bespoke mods'

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've not got round to fitting my front camera yet but this it one I just installed in Sarah's Juke:     The 370Z one will work in exactly the same way

Euphemism Alert! Chubbs will be along shortly.....

I fitted this to Sarah's Juke today. I think it will be a permanent fixture once I get a proper camera for the front (on order).   My plan is to make 2 different looms, 1 for each car.   Let me know i

Posted Images

Oh, and on the subject of the video senders interfering with each other, it might be that one from a different manufacturer may not clash. No guarantees, but worth a thought.

If I hadn't just bought one myself I'd have taken one off your hands mate.

Oh im not worried, in fact im planning on using the fact to my advantage as it means you only need one reciever into the TV or DVR, then a way to switch the power on at each camera/sender to see my Garage doors or front drive.... (current thinking is to power from the security lights in some fasion... lights come on and the "channel is live") but to be worked out more yet i think... :D

I will be temp setting up the Front facing cam to get a good idea of viewable angles from the front grill tomorrow weather permitting, so pics to come!

• Like 1

Thanks for all your testing mate :thumbs:

Yes, the little 'Y' joint in the cable on the cameras contains a voltage converter to drop from 12v from the car to about 3.3v for the camera.

It's perfectly natural for them to run warm and there is no fear of powering them all the time the car is running - I've had some on full time test for literally months at a time.

This is good to know also!! but i will still be looking at a switched relay set up of some sort, to break the speed sensor, brake ground and to turn on power if i can manage it!

I am also hoping i can find a way to split the feed from the "AV in" connector in the center console also to hide the reciever under the trim amd also allow the traditional AV in to still be used!!

Any thoughts on that or pointers would be as ever very much gratefully recieved!!

Oh im not worried, in fact im planning on using the fact to my advantage as it means you only need one reciever into the TV or DVR, then a way to switch the power on at each camera/sender to see my Garage doors or front drive.... (current thinking is to power from the security lights in some fasion... lights come on and the "channel is live") but to be worked out more yet i think... :D

I will be temp setting up the Front facing cam to get a good idea of viewable angles from the front grill tomorrow weather permitting, so pics to come!

Clever!

This is good to know also!! but i will still be looking at a switched relay set up of some sort, to break the speed sensor, brake ground and to turn on power if i can manage it!

I am also hoping i can find a way to split the feed from the "AV in" connector in the center console also to hide the reciever under the trim amd also allow the traditional AV in to still be used!!

Any thoughts on that or pointers would be as ever very much gratefully recieved!!

This old thread might be of interest to you then. Basically, you can buy a generic unit that you connect to the speed signal of the car. Above a certain speed it turns power off :)

I'll have to dig out the details of the one I was looking at around the time of that thread but I expect there are several on the market.

Oh, and I can offer a hand on the AV input. If you like I can split this in the loom I'm making up. Or I'll show you what the connector looks like under the centre console.

I've one kicking around here so I'll take a pic :)

Here you go mate, the AUX input on the Connect Premium cars looks like this:

gallery_245_426_60516.jpg

You can see the wires more clearly in this shot:

gallery_245_426_64772.jpg

The wires are as follows (left to right as you see the plug above):

Green  - Composite video ground
Red    - Composite video signal

Yellow - Left audio signal
Blue   - Audio ground
Green  - Right audio signal

So you could splice into those wires or I can adapt your DVD override loom to splice into those wires to save you having to do it there.

But if you did that, I'm not sure what would happen if you also plugged a video source into the socket.

If you wanted to use a relay to switch video feeds then I could adapt the DVD override loom further leaving you the wires needed to fit a relay.

I hope that helps, let me know if you want the loom made up any differently :)

Here you go mate, the AUX input on the Connect Premium cars looks like this:

gallery_245_426_60516.jpg

You can see the wires more clearly in this shot:

gallery_245_426_64772.jpg

The wires are as follows (left to right as you see the plug above):

Green  - Composite video groundRed    - Composite video signalYellow - Left audio signalBlue   - Audio groundGreen  - Right audio signal
So you could splice into those wires or I can adapt your DVD override loom to splice into those wires to save you having to do it there.

But if you did that, I'm not sure what would happen if you also plugged a video source into the socket.

If you wanted to use a relay to switch video feeds then I could adapt the DVD override loom further leaving you the wires needed to fit a relay.

I hope that helps, let me know if you want the loom made up any differently :)

oohh this is good info.... and i think i can see how i will make the AV in work..

The overide loom for the speed and brake, would be good just as is, if thats ok, I want to keep each part of the puzzle seperate to allow me to make each step at a time... :D (simple is as simple does) :biggrin2:

• 3 weeks later...

Update.....

I now have a few additional parts for this set up including the S-Mode Switch to power the relays! I also have a remote relay setup (pics to follow) which when all wired up will (should) allow the power to the remote front cam, sender, reciever, aux input, speed sensor and brake sensor to all be switched/powered from the press of one single button!!

I will hopefully have a full rig completed shortly and ready to install in the next week or so!

:D

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

well.... been stupidly busy this last month but hoping to finalise the wiring this week and get to work on the install! all the parts i need i have its just the courage to do the work now!!! :)

Go for it mate! I'm getting impatient to see the results!!

• 1 month later...

Basically, you'll need to fit the red wire to a 12v supply and the black needs to go to ground (you can bolt it to anything metal on the car). I would not fit the red wire directly on the battery because it will drain the power when the car is turned off. Really, you need to find a supply which is only live when the car is running.

Looking at the cables, it seems that the red (12v) wire also runs through the video cable. You will need to run the video cable through into the car to plug it into the AUX socket. That means you might be able to wire the red wire into the cigarette lighter. The black wire can still be connected to ground somewhere under the bonnet.

I hope that makes sense.

Let us know how you get on :)

• 3 weeks later...

une idée pour connecter l'alimentation (je suppose, rouge et le fil noir) ???

How is your installation going?

I was chatting with T.C about a front camera the other day and it reminded me that you were working on one :)

• 3 months later...

hello paul,
actually I started in the installation of the front camera , I connect the AUX jack and I retrieve the cigarette lighter .
it works but I 'll blow the fuse in the cigarette lighter each time.
you have an idea to avoid this?
I see on your editing box has a transparent What is it ?
sorry for my english is a bit rusty

hello paul,

actually I started in the installation of the front camera , I connect the AUX jack and I retrieve the cigarette lighter .

it works but I 'll blow the fuse in the cigarette lighter each time.

you have an idea to avoid this?

I see on your editing box has a transparent What is it ?

sorry for my english is a bit rusty

Haven't yet installed my wireless front camera kit yet as a) it took blooming ages to come from Chinese supplier and B) I'm stuck in Turkey trying to get my residency permit sorted.

I cannot see why your camera should blow your cigarette lighter fuse. I often have a couple of iPads plugged into my centre console lighter which is 2amp plus. Suggest you put a meter on it when you connect to see whether you have a short etc.

The plan is to connect the actual camera and transmitter to the auto drl relay power supply going to the drls under the front headlights and this should be man enough to take any power requirements (I have a 10amp fuse in series with the +ve battery connection).

The receiver will fit in the centre console connected to the aux input and supply from the power socket there.

Here is the picture of the auto drl relay which you can get off Amazon/eBay etc

post-7370-0-61462700-1445509764_thumb.jpeg

Not sure what you mean by 'I see on your editing box has a transparent What is it ?'post-7370-0-61462700-1445509764_thumb.jpeg

As Paul says, it could be shorting out. Also, which fuse is blowing? Is it the Nissan one for the cigarette lighter or is it one you have added?

Show us some photos If it helps to explain :)

If you test the resistance between live and negative on the camera what do you get? Or event use a continuity tester to see if there is a direct short.

It does sound like there is a short circuit to me.

• 6 months later...

... so... you're worried about seeing interference on your cam in the bird box...... :gathering:

OK, so it's taken a while but now I can prove the camera really went into a bird box!

:)

• Like 1