CAT Performance Driver Training - Sunday 30th August - Reports

LESmo

Any Pictures (from outside Millbrook) and reports can go here please.

• Like 1

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Current - 2020 (20) Juke Tekna Plus, Gun Metal Grey/Red Contrast, DCT Gearbox, Clever Little Commuter Car

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Well this morning is reflecting the true British Bank holiday. As the rain falls outside. Anyway, we are all used to it by now. We will learn about UK weather and roads.

Everyone drive safe to Millbrook and we will see everyone outside the Complex.

Everyone at Run2 and Carfest - hope you have a great day too.

• Like 1

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Current - 2020 (20) Juke Tekna Plus, Gun Metal Grey/Red Contrast, DCT Gearbox, Clever Little Commuter Car

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Caroline is all prepared. (This was yesterday clearly).

post-123-0-37789200-1440910692_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Our arrival early in the day.

post-123-0-50991700-1440960641_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-39960000-1440960645_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-35105200-1440960648_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

:clap: how did it go?

07765 406665
Infiniti FX 30d premium - loved it but now gone
QX70d S Design and owner and lovin' it - Alas, she has now gone too

350Z Chilli Red 2006, with full Do-Luck Kit and still looks as good as new!
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube

It was epic. Literally learned skills which will be useable every day. Really great day. Feel so much more confident. Great group of people attended. Nice mix of cars as well. I will write a full review in the morning. Caroline also got driver of the day for most improved driver.

• Like 4

Review - A Day at CAT Driver Training at Millbrook

20150830 070454042 IOS

I will start by saying I don't want to do track days, they don't appeal to me personally. But members of this forum have long raved on about the CAT driver training days and respecting those opinions, when a date was released for August Bank Holiday we quickly signed up, for this would be a event to be enjoyed by Caroline in her mini and me in the Zed.

The communications and information over the following weeks were extremely professional, a list of items to pre check on the cars. Emails and personal messages answered quickly, you were left feeling you were dealing with an extremely professional outfit.

So on a damp Sunday morning in August we all arrived at the Millbrook proving grounds

6 cars arrived at the entrance. A mighty GTR also joined our fold from another forum, and 5 nissansportz members. We were in for a real treat - the GTR, Audi RS 4, Three 370z's and Caroline's Mini Cooper S.

20150830 070520083 IOS

20150830 070508877 IOS

Jo who had been behind all the communications turned up, with the first and most important rule of Millbrook, absolutely no Photography, our Camera phones would be covered with stickers - this is understandable, we were about to enter the secret world of vehicle testing. As we drove into the site, you would have been mistaken in thinking you were going onto a Military base carrying out chemical warfare testing. Turning left we had our first glimpse of the 2 mile banked oval, on it were two test cars running feet apart on a long term test. But more of those later.
Arriving at the CAT Base, we were immediately welcomed with Coffee and introduced to our two instructors for the Day, Colin and Paul. Completing the check on cars and licences. We listened to a overview of the day and a briefing on Safety. It is clear CAT take this responsibility very seriously. We sat and evaluated our driving, it was refreshing to hear the honesty in the group, content I was not sitting in a room with this years Le Mans winner. I heard the thing I most wanted to hear - Colin calmly spoke, we will not ask you to do anything you are not comfortable doing, we will try and stretch you but only if you want it. You could almost feel the anxiety drop. It was clear the main intention was for us all to have a good time. We now split into two groups Paul taking one and Colin the other. Both Caroline and I were in Colins group.
As we headed off down what we didn't realise was the alpine course to the mile long straight, you started to understand the sheer magnitude of the proving ground. Arriving at the Straight the desolate Sunday morning was soon awake with the noise of our cars.
As with each of the sessions Colin and Paul took us through the steps, the things we would learn they showed us in their cars the steps we would ourselves be undertaking.
Caroline was out first, she came back with a smile on her face - you could see the confidence building. Then my turn. completing the first pass, with Colin next too me, I felt safe. The instructions were reassuring and clear. As we came back a pack of Porsches arrived. What is the term for a pack of Porches... Anyway, I waited for them to sort themselves out and steadily passed 911's - I needed to show them how good the little Nissan really was and how much I had learned from my first pass. The car and my tuition did not let me down, already I had learned two skills which I would use throughout the day and my confidence was high. As we all took turns, the social element of the day took over, standing in the parking area - we chatted, we looked over the cars and you never felt like you were hanging around. Watching others you could learn just as much.
With the Porsches now obliterating the mile straight we headed off for what was always going to be my highlight - the 2 Mile High banked oval. Parking up at the Handling Circuit - Colin gave us a briefing and then we loaded up with Colin and headed off the High Banked Oval. Caroline and I have been lucky to visit some of the best Oval circuits in the US. From Daytona to Charlotte, Talladega to Pocono with its triangle formation. But as we entered the Oval - the sheer magnitude of the site became apparent. Lane 5 was something you could only aspire too. As the two long term test cars came past still beating the miles, we covered the objectives and back to our cars.
Caroline was soon out and back with a thumbs up, you could see the confidence growing more and more. Then my turn, I should probably say my expectations of what I could do prior to the event with regards to how fast I would go - were higher than the reality of it. Only when you get up feet away from the barrier do you realise the magnitude of the task in hand. Its not about the speed, its about driving safely in a constant bowl. Even then I did speeds which would have given you a lengthy ban.

20150830 173937000 IOS

20150830 173728000 IOS

20150830 173655000 IOS

Coming back to the parking, I had a new respect for the Oval drivers doing what I did at 200 Mph 3 wide. Also to be fair to the Top Gear presenters who I had watched doing 150+ and thinking that's easy, my limits were not as great as I thought they would be. But I wasn't disappointed. I knew my limits and I didn't cross them. Although one of my moments was passing the long speed testing cars in lane 3 - me in lane 5 doing 120. For a second I wished to be in the test cars to see how good the Zed looked.
The final session before lunch was the High Speed Handling Course, more circuit than a road - we took the braking and steering techniques we had already learned and added the use of throttle to control and settle the car, added to that looking far ahead - the car felt completely stable - concentrating less on the corner you were in and more on what was coming. You started to understand it when drivers say things seem slow, they really do slow down, the more confidence and control you have the less effort you need to put in and the slower things seem to happen. The last corner proved the frustrating one, the chicane was pure joy, as the car floated through - all the time Colin feeding back.
Back to base for Lunch, the room had a new confidence, the rain tipping down outside. We moved on to the Alpine course, one we have all seen on TV programmes, To further develop our cornering techniques - learning how to drive hair pins, and put what we had learned about Single Input Steering to the test. What had been daunting when we first arrived and drove part of it, Felt great. If it has been a sunny day and coast had been lapping beside you - you would have said it was the best road in the world. As it was the window wipers were plodding along and we were in Bedfordshire. No sooner were you starting than you were finishing, But it felt so good when you hooked it up. You could feel what you had learned working.
Then back to the classroom to understand a little more about the physics behind cars before moving onto the low grip surface. Another highlight. I wanted to know how the car felt just before and after it was going to lose control, As I approached the wet surface with the Traction Control on, I was amazed how good it was, it turned Oversteer to understeer, then to something I never do. Turning the Traction Control off. I was soon heading backwards out of a spin. But so very safe nothing anywhere near to hit. As I watched the GTR giving us a demonstration of drifting, you could see how all the cars were different, I was massively impressed with how well the mini did for instance.
Finally onto the last event of the day, the Gymkhana - I opted to drive the Scoobie owned by CAT. I had never driven one and the opportunity was too good to be missed. It was an event using all the techniques learned in the day. As I sat at the line waiting to be counted down, I wasn't sure how it would go. Colin now my familiar passenger - as my co-driver. We left the line and off into a world of cones. I would lie if I said I had a clue where I was supposed to go. But Colin got me through it. We took to the line for our second and last timed run. Count down and we were off, No penalties and what felt like a good run. The perfect last event.
Driving back to the CAT HQ, you could see everyone doing single input driving and taking the hairpin curves. If you wanted to see how much everyone had learned you only needed to see this line of orderly cars all under control and all practicing the strategies we had learned. I was proud of all of us as we drove in. It was like we had been to University all day and this was our graduation.
So to the Prizes - Caroline was awarded most improved Driver of the Day - from someone who wasn't sure if they really wanted to attend and just really came along to make me happy, she looked confident and relaxed and following back to the HQ the Mini was being driven like a pro. Best drift went to the GTR, the drift was epic - honestly, for a few seconds I stood in absolute ore. Fastest time went to the stunning modified black 370z with its air suspension - with its lovely sound. Me - well I came third, in car I had never driven before, I was very proud of that. Although I think had other things not happened in the day and one of our members not been side-lined through mechanical issues I would have been 4th.
So
I didn't want to do a track day, I did the Civic thing the other week and all I came back with was a high speed. CAT gave me more than bragging rights. I know the Zed can do 155 - what was clear though is the ability to reach it was actually governed not by the car but by me. As I drove home last night I found myself using the skills I had been taught, looking further down the road, better positioning of the car and feeling pride when in my virtual world on the main road I got it right. Outside to the other motorists - it probably didn't look that impressive. But yesterday I changed. I felt confident. I understood better what the Zed would do - in fact if you have money to spend on a Mod I would Make CAT one high up on your list. The car will only ever be as in control and fast as the driver behind the wheel. The event was well run, it was will structured, it was fun, I learned so much and unlike a track day I actually came away with skills I can use every day. It made me want to do it all over again. Most important the car did not have hard time - it didn't do much more than any weekend or commute. Even Caroline said she would do it again, Someone who was quite nervous before the day started. Loved it.
As the day went on I had more capacity to do other things than just drive, in a very short time I had skills which will make me safer on the road and that is a priceless skill. If anyone is sitting here where we were in May - having heard only good things about CAT. They are all true. Everyone of them. If you have ever wondered what Millbrook is like or to drive on the High Speed Banked oval - its a bucket list thing. The day - the people on the day were fun, we laughed - we admired - there was pride as each of us picked up a new skill. Oh and at the end of the day my MPG was 20.4 - not bad for the Zed I thought. The Zed is a great car until yesterday I didn't appreciate how great. Boy does it handle well. Driving away it felt like the end of the Breakfast Club - as we convoyed out.
Finally thanks to Jo, Colin and Paul, you made the day very special. You made the Zed feel more plated than it has ever felt, and me more confident about how it handles and how good the car really is. Sincerely yours....
Les
  • Like 7

... and an epic write up! Well done Les and everyone who attended. For nissansportz, I think its fair to sat CAT are our Bestest Friends!

• Like 2

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - "Muttley" (it was the only Z in the village ....)
Storm White R35 GT-R MY21 Track Edition… “Fully Loaded”

Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - "The Expensive Mistress"
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - "Dumbo"
Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R MY11 with Recaros - "The General"
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - "Dastardly"
[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]

This is my perspective of my Bank Holiday Sunday drive in Bedfordshire. I will agree with Les's assessment I was there as it is his early birthday treat not possibly something I would have chosen. I came to driving late only passing in my late 20's from a family happier watching cricket than Motorsport and having become a petrol head with Les and seen a number of professional racing drivers come off the track as an amateur photographer for a friends motor racing team the self confidence in my skills wasn't high.

So off to the first element and you are gaining skills right from the start now know what the ABS feels on the Mini at the end of the straight is a mini banked bit and Colin explains we are going to be looking to the end and holding the steering wheel steady & see what happens. Even as we went through the first time Colin pointed out my steering skills were there just my brain didn't realise it.

Off to the High Speed Banking, yes this was the one bit part of me wanted to give a go even before after our visits to ovals in the States also I don't have any problem with speed. So after a few runs round the bottom learning more skills Colin asked if I wanted to move up the track, we got to over 80 in the 4th lane and again he calmly asked if I could consider the top lane but you have to be over 100mph - up we went ok my limit was less than Les but 110 isn't bad.

Next was the high speed handling bit. I know about racing lines and that came sort of naturally for me again it was knowing when and how hard to brake but Colin was very encouraging. We stopped in the middle and had a chat I admitted what can go wrong and makes my brain panic on the road and Colin took this on board. We came away having just about mastered that final tricky bend.

After the fantastic lunch it was the Alpine track with its hairpins. Colin knew this was an area I wanted reassurance about. Each time you go out with Collin or Paul first to see the track and to have the process explained, here were those hairpins I would normally try to avoid. So in the rain off I went the first of the bends were great my new skills coming to the front then the first hairpin Colin talked me through it and by the third attempt I was so much happier than I had ever been on that type of bend.

The final bit I did was the pan bit, I only did it with the traction control on my brain was taking over and though Colin taking the wheel to show what the back end coming out a little felt I said now was the end I had had a fantastic day but that Speed button wasn't being pushed it won't on the road so that was it.

I watched the boys have their competition and the GTR drift was mega.

Back at base camp it was awards ceremony time, I thought this was just for comp I hadn't been part of but no there were a couple more and I was so surprised to get driver of the day, thanks Colin and Paul.

Colin was so great, throughout the day making sure I was ok but carefully pushing me to get the confidence.

Driving home like Les I put new skills to the test looking ahead on the A421 around Bedford and placing the car accordingly, its a road I have had to drive for work every once in the while but you see it in a new light with the skills and confidence you gain.

I would do the day again now I know the circuits that is one less thing to worry about and I would love to build on the skills.

Thanks Colin, Paul and Jo you were great to share the day with and also thanks to my fellow team mates as with everything nissansportz it always feels like a family.

• Like 6

Very proud of you Caroline. It took guts to do something you were not comfortable with at the start - you did everything throughout the day and most of the time first before all of us. You should be really proud. You were a mega little driver.

• Like 2

Lesmo - Great write up.

We knew the GTR was on it's way while we waited at the gate, by the sound getting louder and louder - what a car!

And what a day, even though it rained continuously in the afternoon.

It was nice to learn some new skills which I can now use on the road aswell.

I never thought that much about the oval, but when I drove it and there's no letup it is quite daunting, especially when you are high up on the banking doing 125mph (or more: Alex_C did 155mph!) close to the barrier.

Doing 200mph or higher is unthinkable!

I was impressed with the drifting of the GTR especially as the driver had never done it before - some of those drifts were impressive!

When it was time for the Gymkhana shoot out I decided to try the Subaru (as Les did) and straight away I felt comfortable in it.

I had two laps and on the second lap I used a bit more power and I could feel the four wheel drive working underneath me as I aimed for the finish - that was exciting.

A great bunch of people to be with the whole day and I hope Alex_C's car is alright after the oil leak.

• Like 5

The CAT Scoobie is an amazing machine. As I sat strapped in tight and at the line being counted down, with Colin beside me - I could have been on a Rally stage... I loved the cones the Scoobie was like playing a car game. Such a great machine.

That said I was absolutely amazed how good the Zed really is when it is driven into the bends and using the throttle to stabilise the car. Its an impressive machine.

Single input steering is my new best friend.

Wow what a write up Les - can I have your permission to turn that into a blog from you and put on our website? Great descriptions - very expressive :thumbsup:

Was great to meet you all and spend the day together. Good to read your positive learning experiences and to see Erol on the forum already :yess:

Congratulations to the winners on the day:

Driver of the Day = Cazza

Slidey Chocolate = Erol

Fastest Time of the Day, Gymkhana = Bakseedaa - a very wet 52.72 seconds in his 370z

:clap:

Look forward to seeing you all again soon ... will confirm party attendance as soon as I can :wiggle:

Jo :type:

• Like 3

As Founder/Director of CAT Driver Training it gives me great pleasure to offer you bespoke driver training courses tailored to extract the very most from you and your pride and joy. Our association with the Nissan brand dates back to the introduction of the 350 Z into Europe. Employed by Nissan as a vehicle evaluator and driver trainer, my experience with the Z in its development stages and latterly in the role of proving ground driver trainer makes CAT Driver Training the ideal choice if you require expert tuition on the road or track.

Look in our trading area to see our nissansportz specific courses with discounted prices for Members.

Please PM, email or call myself or Jo (+44 (0)1234 757633) to chat through your training needs. We look forward to training with you to get the best out of you and your car.

Colin Hoad

http://www.catdrivertraining.co.uk/

Ask the Expert - Colin Hoad - Evo Magazine

Watch our new promo film here: Corporate Overview

Read the latest article published by Evo Magazine here: CAT Driver Training review | Features | evo

"It's run by a top team of people and we thoroughly recommend them - Fifth Gear."

Hi Jo, I would be honoured. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Thank you :D

As Founder/Director of CAT Driver Training it gives me great pleasure to offer you bespoke driver training courses tailored to extract the very most from you and your pride and joy. Our association with the Nissan brand dates back to the introduction of the 350 Z into Europe. Employed by Nissan as a vehicle evaluator and driver trainer, my experience with the Z in its development stages and latterly in the role of proving ground driver trainer makes CAT Driver Training the ideal choice if you require expert tuition on the road or track.

Look in our trading area to see our nissansportz specific courses with discounted prices for Members.

Please PM, email or call myself or Jo (+44 (0)1234 757633) to chat through your training needs. We look forward to training with you to get the best out of you and your car.

Colin Hoad

Read the latest article published by Evo Magazine here: CAT Driver Training review | Features | evo

"It's run by a top team of people and we thoroughly recommend them - Fifth Gear."

The CAT Scoobie is an amazing machine. As I sat strapped in tight and at the line being counted down, with Colin beside me - I could have been on a Rally stage... I loved the cones the Scoobie was like playing a car game. Such a great machine.

That said I was absolutely amazed how good the Zed really is when it is driven into the bends and using the throttle to stabilise the car. Its an impressive machine.

Single input steering is my new best friend.

The CAT Scoobie :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: never has driving a car been so much fun

• Like 2

<p class='bbc_center'>If you cant explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.</p>

You're now famous Lesmo :D

http://catdrivertraining.co.uk/driver-training-news-blogs/colin-s-blog/item/1005-blog.html

Jo :type:

• Like 1

Colin Hoad

:hypocrite: ... :flowers:

Thanks for everyone's support on the day! If everyone hasn't worked it out yet...it was me who was sidelined through mechanical issues! A blown oil pressure hose which feeds the oil cooler was the issue which detonated my entire oil capacity all over the handling circuit (er sorry Millbrook!)

The car is now looking rather forlorn on my drive with no front end (we decided to investigate ourselves before sending it to a dealer and we feel it is something we can tackle ourselves as it was quite obvious where the problem was). Huge corrosion on the oil cooler pipes had caused a blow out. So definitely new pipes and maybe a new oil cooler are the order of the day. I'll post up some pictures when I'm back on the road!

Thanks again to all who helped console me on the day (oh and for cleaning all the oil off the passenger side and rear of my car!)

But other than that small issue it was a great day - I was having an absolute blast round that handling circuit! Oh well I'll just have to book another day there in the near future! :)

• Like 2

2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate - Daily commuting tardis!

2016 Nissan Squishsquash - The economical runabout!

1965 VW Beetle - (Very) Long-term Project Car!

2007 Audi RS4 Avant - 400hp load lugger!

2004 Nissan 350z - How can I squeeze another car on my driveway?!

Alex, can we help? We could ship a few bodies over to yours on mod day to help with the fix if that helps, or if it needs doing before then, you have my mobile, ring and tony will happily pop over.

I am sorry, blinkin' cars.

• Like 1

07765 406665
Infiniti FX 30d premium - loved it but now gone
QX70d S Design and owner and lovin' it - Alas, she has now gone too

350Z Chilli Red 2006, with full Do-Luck Kit and still looks as good as new!
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube

Thanks Sar and Tony, my father in law now has the oil cooler and pipes at his house and is going to try and remove the pipes to try and save the cooler but it doesn't look promising. I think the fitting shouldn't be too bad either way but I'll definitely call if we get stuck. We may have to wait until Friday anyway as I can't take any more time off work, so the car is going to have to stay looking sad stood up on axle stands on the drive!

Thanks anyway

• Like 1

2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate - Daily commuting tardis!

2016 Nissan Squishsquash - The economical runabout!

1965 VW Beetle - (Very) Long-term Project Car!

2007 Audi RS4 Avant - 400hp load lugger!

2004 Nissan 350z - How can I squeeze another car on my driveway?!

Alex, sorry to hear you were unable to finish the day at CAT. If you haven't managed to re-book the same course by the New Year then watch this space because CAT are just working on a Cornering Masterclass for us next Spring which will be a Members only event.

Dates and details TBA by CAT.

Jeff.

• Like 1

Fred I - 350Z 2007 Gunmetal. 6 CD changer, full leather, reverse sensors. SOLD.
Fred II - 370Z GT 2011 Gunmetal. Premium connect. GT spec. Seriously un-modified. See-through windows, and a wheel at each corner. Sold 13 July 14. Gone.
Fred III - 2014 facelift 370GT. Magma red. Reversing sensors. Invidia Gemini CBE. Sold 2 April 2016.
Fred IV - 2016 Daytona Blue 370Z GT. Reversing sensors. K & N panel filters. Invidia Gemini CBE. Full front wrap - Ventureshield II.

Thanks Sar and Tony, my father in law now has the oil cooler and pipes at his house and is going to try and remove the pipes to try and save the cooler but it doesn't look promising. I think the fitting shouldn't be too bad either way but I'll definitely call if we get stuck. We may have to wait until Friday anyway as I can't take any more time off work, so the car is going to have to stay looking sad stood up on axle stands on the drive!

Thanks anyway

If you have issue's undoing the unions (pipe to Cooler) you can with a dremel cut length wise into the union then hopefully split the union which will allow removal. I illustrate on a picture if you need.

<p class='bbc_center'>If you cant explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.</p>

I love this club. No one wanted to leave Alex not one person. Everyone looked down when it happened. And helpless - we so wanted to fix it. But didn't have a clue how.

On the upside - I had the pleasure to follow Alex on the handling course for half the circuit and the car looked epic. So planted. I love that Audi.

Also Alex didn't say this but he held the fastest speed of the day for the Oval. :#1: I was a wimp in comparison.. :lol:

Really sorry mate - you deserved a better day than you had.

• Like 2

Great write up people! :clap:

I hope the Audi is sorted soon Alex.

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Z* with a plethora of minor bespoke mods'

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY