Headlight issue

J Hutch

how bizarre...as I've recently noticed this on mine

I was going to get the OCDT to look at it at Kimbolton on Sunday

Black Pearl 2010 (60) 370Z Auto GT Pack Connect Premium - 'Cool Dad'
EBC Ultimax (slotted) front discs and Ferodo DS2500 front pads
- auf wiedersehen pet
Storm White 2014 (64) 370Z Nismo #376 - the new 'Cool Dad'

Both my headlights started to go patchy like yours. They also started to yellow.

Did a bit of DIY and cleared them up.

A bit of wet sanding with various grades of sand paper, polished and then finished off with sealant and UV protection.

I could have probably got a better finish with some finer sand paper but didn't come with the restoration kit I had.

post-9270-0-05839400-1499346910_thumb.jpg

post-9270-0-44461000-1499346925_thumb.jpg

post-9270-0-08885000-1499346951_thumb.jpg

post-9270-0-70436200-1499346976_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

This looks like age-related abrasion. Over time, grit and dust get dragged down the lights in the airflow and a soft glaze of really thin scratches forms. If this definitely is on the outside of the Perspex, then a headlight restoration kit will work, as Aiden says above. It is also possible to use a rotary polisher with a small head to do all of the prep work and save a great deal of time. The same compounds which you use on the paintwork can be used on the lights.

Be very careful if you use chemical products to tackle any discolouration - plastics can glaze and craze if inappropriate products are used. RTFI.

Jeff.

OCDT

Edit: I've just looked at the photos again - have any chemicals been near the car?

• Like 1

Fred I - 350Z 2007 Gunmetal. 6 CD changer, full leather, reverse sensors. SOLD.
Fred II - 370Z GT 2011 Gunmetal. Premium connect. GT spec. Seriously un-modified. See-through windows, and a wheel at each corner. Sold 13 July 14. Gone.
Fred III - 2014 facelift 370GT. Magma red. Reversing sensors. Invidia Gemini CBE. Sold 2 April 2016.
Fred IV - 2016 Daytona Blue 370Z GT. Reversing sensors. K & N panel filters. Invidia Gemini CBE. Full front wrap - Ventureshield II.

3M do a good headlight restoration kit, I have used one before and wouldn`t hesitate to recommend one, if you go down the wet and dry route then I think you need to go as fine as 1500 grade.

Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev remap

I've tried the odd headlight restoration kit, and to be honest I'd go for the Brasso or the wet sanding. Thinking about it, I really like the sound of Brasso, and might give it a try.

Either way, I'd invest in some low-tack masking tape first and get an old towel or two if you're going for the wet sanding. Although I might even have gone as far as 2,000 grit, then followed it up with a common or garden polish and then your favourite wax.

• Like 2

I've used Duraglit Brasso Wadding on car headlights, plastic campervan windows and watch faces - it works for me.

Whatever you use, try it on a small area first and be careful of your paintwork.

This thread sounds like Dereck and Clive with all this brasso talk making it very shiny.

I shall refrain from adding a link to youtube as a matter of decency

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

so, a nice dry Sunday afternoon, with no plans, saw me attempt a fix for this...

I used "Meguiars One Step Headlight Restoration Kit"...bizarrely this has 3 steps!...step one is the use of the wool pad on a drill, and the supplied liquid. Step 2 & 3 involve the supplied sanding pads.

Actually, that's a lie, step one is to lift the bonnet (Jeff) and mask around the light.

post-6738-0-75723000-1502785485_thumb.jpg

so off I went, with my wife watching on nervously, as I don't do DIY (I had to charge the drill battery).

and all I can say is, WOW!, so easy, and what a difference. So much so, that I didn't bother with steps 2 & 3. It's not perfect, but the majority is now clean (I have no doubt that steps 2 & 3 would clean the rest). I hope you can see the difference, but the pictures don't do it justice.

post-6738-0-02378500-1502785499_thumb.jpg

So there we have it, 80k, and I've seen the light!

• Like 4

- auf wiedersehen pet

Good result!

Did the kit include something to apply to protect the light from UV now it's clear again?

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Z* with a plethora of minor bespoke mods'

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

Good result!

Did the kit include something to apply to protect the light from UV now it's clear again?

No Paul, it didn't, but plenty of life left in the wool pad, and plenty of liquid left, to do it again.

The instructions made me lol - "use a nickel sized amount of liquid". Had to go and find a Nickel in the 'left over holiday money' pile!

• Like 1

- auf wiedersehen pet

Have you ever applied wax, etc. to the lights in the past? I would have thought that should offer some protection from the sun.

Have you ever applied wax, etc. to the lights in the past? I would have thought that should offer some protection from the sun.

I refer this question to the OCDT haha!

• Like 1

- auf wiedersehen pet

I put some UV protector on mine but it didn't seem to stop it coming back.

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - "Muttley" (it was the only Z in the village ....)
Storm White R35 GT-R MY21 Track Edition… “Fully Loaded”

Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - "The Expensive Mistress"
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - "Dumbo"
Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R MY11 with Recaros - "The General"
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - "Dastardly"
[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]

Here's a fix that might work....

http://i.imgur.com/AOb5ZpW.jpg

I suppose a wheel sealant would work, as it's sort of a spray on wax or at least does the same thing. In fact it's not a bad thing to try, but I'd read the instructions first just in case they say to keep it off paintwork, glass, lenses, or anything else similar.

I've been waxing headlights for a while now - paste, liquid or spray - and to be honest it's inconclusive as to whether it's any good at protecting from UV damage, but as the cars in question spend more time undercover that may have something to do with it. Considering the benefits to paintwork though, it must. Equally though, regular wipes over with a decent quick detailer might do most of the job.

My biggest issue is getting them to sparkle in the first place.

• 1 month later...

I used the Meguiars kit on my father inlaw's old Merc yesterday.

As you can see the lights were in a terrible state:

gallery_245_77_173738.jpg

After is a big improvement but really they need another go to get them back to how they should be:

gallery_245_77_182849.jpg

I think I'll leave that for another visit though :lol:

Totally forgot about this post but I had a go on one of the lights on my Z.

There are no pics but I basically started out with headlights that to be fair were not as bad as the ops but bad enough to justify cleaning up. Mostly on the peak of the lens cover and some around the inner edge.

I ended up using Autoglyms restore kit. Worked my way from lower grit to 3000 then onto polishing and you can get a really decent, crystal clear finish providing you make sure you finish each stage off completely leveled with whatever stage grit you are using..

I'm looking into another raceglaze product to seal the lights and help prevent it happening again.

EDIT: Just went and snapped a couple of pics. One side not finished and it wasn't that bad to start with shame I didn't do a before and after on the n/s. Its very easy to sort and anyone thinking about giving it a go should, just use some blue tape to protect your paintwork.

DmoVSiK.jpg

D6WoZn2.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

What are peeps latest view on which product to use? Various reviews recommend Autoglym, Holts and Mequiars kits although the latter offer two different products, a one-step and a two-step... Anyone?

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - "Muttley" (it was the only Z in the village ....)

Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - "The Expensive Mistress"

I`ve used the 3M and the Holts and I thought that the 3M kit gave better results.

Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev remap

Thanks Gav.

I have been accumulating 350Z headlight units which are in various states of misting - including the two on the car, I now have seven to try for the best result!

I thought the Holts kit would be better given that there is more to it but I still got an advisory on my MOT for the nearside headlight even after I`d done with the Holts kit.