Abbey Motorsport

Accelerator pedal clicks when you floor it at near WOT ?

As a man with no experience of automatics whatsoever - and long may that continue - I may have got the wrong end of the stick, but with auto 370Zs being available in every market (and with Nissan's money being even tighter in the late 2000s) is it not just a redundant kickdown sensor? Obviously that's assuming they used the same throttle pedal mechanism for manuals and autos, but all things considered I can see that being a possibility.

• Like 3

You may well have a point there :thumbs:

I hope to have a play this weekend. I might be able to give you an answer from Consult III.

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Z* with a plethora of minor bespoke mods'

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

So here's something either interesting or irrelevant... I borrowed my wifes car last night (Passat auto, DSG box) and guess what. It too had the same throttle pedal first point and to the floor notch. I tried to see if it was an auto kick down as per Michaels suggestion (thanks M) but the DSG was already on the case anyway so I couldn't tell.

Maybe I should just chill out about it, ignore it and drive the car..................................but my OCD won't let me.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

So, adding a little more to this story. At the weekend, I was in the Nissan dealership in Cambridge (contemplating an X-Trail for my wife...but that's a different story) and while we were there, I took the opportunity to jump in a new 370Z and see if the accelerator pedal did the same. Guess what, it did! It was a new Nismo 370Z (so manual g/box) and it had the same notch feel at the end of travel. I asked one of the sales guys what it was for and he also assumed it was for automatic gearboxes to kick down, but both of us agreed that it was pointless on a manual. So, while not everyone on here seems to have the same 'symptom' it appears it is a feature from new and not a fault that has developed.

What does this mean??? I don't need to try to remove or fix the pedal, it's probably exactly as it came out of the factory. Now that I know it's there, I do find it annoying, but not a lot can be done about it.

• Like 1

on my 2009 Jag xf 's' diesel it had it too, when I questioned what it was they told me (whether it be bullsh*t or not) that it's a switch that turns off the alternator/aircon etc momentarilly to give full power at full pedal depression ??

I know my old mk2 golf gti had a 2nd click on pedal, but that manually opened another venturi on throttle body.

So I connected my OBD reader to my car and fired up my 'Torque' app so that I could ready throttle positions while driving (hands-free, so breaking no rules). In 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gears, I saw 80% throttle opening at the first point and 88% when pedal to the floor. Not sure if the OBD reader and Torque app need any sort of calibration, but from my understanding, it's just relaying the data from the car's ECU's so should be correct. Doesn't look like I ever get 100% throttle...? Odd and to be honest, frustrating if that's true. There are a heap of procedures to go through to reset the throttle positions (idle and WOT) without the Consult gizmo, I may try it?

Going to have to do more research around this.

I had a go with the Torque app today. More or less confirming what everyone has here. Although I noticed two throttle positions. One for accelerator pedal position, which gave (to the nearest 1 percent) 82% to the click and 97% full down. Then there is a parameter called absolute throttle position. This gave 82% to the click and then 89% full down.

I wonder if the Nismo gives 100% throttle position? If so, it's the same trick as Mini with the Mini One and Mini Cooper engines - same engine, just different throttle position at maximum throttle.

• Like 1

Thanks for the extra info Ste. It makes me feel better to know someone else has the same readings as I did.

I feel an e-mail to Nissan coming on to ask what the hell is going on. Not sure if I will get a reply but if you don't ask...

It would be interesting in what either an EcuTek or uprev tunned ecu reads.

Current - 2009 GTR Premium, Stage 2
Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

It would be interesting in what either an EcuTek or uprev tunned ecu reads.

Indeed, plus that could be a good way to eliminate the issue. Have the throttle pedal reconfigured to have 100% throttle at the 'first position'. On my car, the second position (to the floor) is so much harder in terms of pressure needed, there's no progression at all, it's on or off.

Its a no go on the NISMO, it also only goes upto 88%. Having read a few things it seems that there is a thought that this is in fact not a percentage but the angle of the valve inside the throttle body itself.

Also every where seems to show a normal range of 20 - 90% and both 0 and 100 are used as error states. I would speak to someone like Jez or Mark to understand if this is out of normality, especially before going to Nissan.

• Like 1

Current - 2009 GTR Premium, Stage 2
Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

Thanks for taking the time to investigate Blobbish. Good point regarding the units, throttle angle would make sense rather than percent.

Regarding an e-mail to Nissan, I was only going to ask what the extra notch was for rather than going in all guns blazing. I'm curious as to why we (well, some of us) appear to have it, what does it do and why don't all models have it?!? I will also speak to Abbey or similar at some point.

• 3 months later...

So closing this thread off a little as the issue was still bugging me, I went back and read the thread from the beginning again and it appears Blobbish is right (credit due...). The second notch cancels the speed limiter. I set my limiter, floored to the first notch and it wouldn't go past the limit I had set. Press harder to the second notch and the limiter is deactivated. I did a bit more searching and found this post that also came to the same conclusion some time ago:

http://forums.nissansportz.com/topic/30282-manual-370z-with-kick-down-on-the-accelerator/?hl=%2Bclick+%2Bclutch&do=findComment&comment=302827

It also explains why the same 'switch' is on a new Nismo in the Cambridge showroom that I noticed a little while ago. Case closed... (sleep resumed)

Hope this helps reassure some folk who were wondering like I was. Plus, I can't see any reference to this in the user manual which doesn't help...