Abbey Motorsport

What have you done for your 370z today? (2)

I was routing around the interior as a really annoying noise has appeared. It sounds exactly like a 20p coin rolling on it's edge somewhere when braking, cornering or accelerating hard. Anyway, I pulled open the compartment behind the driver's seat and noticed a small panel that looks like it can prised off. Does anyone know what's behind it? Also is everyone's user manual pack and folder smaller than the compartment so needs a small block of sponge or similar to keep it sliding side to side?

• Like 1
  • Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I gave mine a clean (very easy with all the fresh wax, etc.) and then took it out for a drive just for the hell of it. It's been a while since I took a pleasure trip for no reason and thoroughly enjo

Today I did this, really easy to do and got the wheel for a steal, in really good nick too.

So, I had my remap done at Abbey a few days ago, and just got home yesterday, after being at work for a couple of days. Luckily, my last duty involved not flying the aircraft, but positioning back fro

Posted Images

Thanks mate. You should see my crochet! :lol:

It does of course help if you get it right first time. I didn't! Here is the daughter board completed:

gallery_245_77_1197321.png

Here is the board laid out on top of the main board. I just need to work out how the best way to route the cables before I shorted and solder them:

gallery_245_77_1201020.png

I've also been making a little more progress mounting the main board to the car. I'm quite pleased with the way the test fit went:

gallery_245_77_85885.jpg

gallery_245_77_124601.jpg

Wow!

You should be working on new car designs for Nissan. That's how the Z Proto dash should look.

• Like 1

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

Also is everyone's user manual pack and folder smaller than the compartment so needs a small block of sponge or similar to keep it sliding side to side?

Yep! I wrapped it in 2 spare microfibre cloths.

• Like 2

Fred I - 350Z 2007 Gunmetal. 6 CD changer, full leather, reverse sensors. SOLD.
Fred II - 370Z GT 2011 Gunmetal. Premium connect. GT spec. Seriously un-modified. See-through windows, and a wheel at each corner. Sold 13 July 14. Gone.
Fred III - 2014 facelift 370GT. Magma red. Reversing sensors. Invidia Gemini CBE. Sold 2 April 2016.
Fred IV - 2016 Daytona Blue 370Z GT. Reversing sensors. K & N panel filters. Invidia Gemini CBE. Full front wrap - Ventureshield II.

Do 370Z owners keep their whole Z-embossed folders in their Zeds? Blimey! You've obviously got power (and torque) to spare lugging that around.

As a conscientious 350Z owner I keep the idiot's guide booklet in the netting in the passenger's footwell, despite having memorised it, while the folder makes a rather nice bookend in the technical section of my study. Or the area that requires two large whiskys and a loan (or two whiskys and a large loan) before visiting.

• Like 1

I was routing around the interior as a really annoying noise has appeared. It sounds exactly like a 20p coin rolling on it's edge somewhere when braking, cornering or accelerating hard. Anyway, I pulled open the compartment behind the driver's seat and noticed a small panel that looks like it can prised off. Does anyone know what's behind it? Also is everyone's user manual pack and folder smaller than the compartment so needs a small block of sponge or similar to keep it sliding side to side?

Do 370Z owners keep their whole Z-embossed folders in their Zeds? Blimey! You've obviously got power (and torque) to spare lugging that around.

As a conscientious 350Z owner I keep the idiot's guide booklet in the netting in the passenger's footwell, despite having memorised it, while the folder makes a rather nice bookend in the technical section of my study. Or the area that requires two large whiskys and a loan (or two whiskys and a large loan) before visiting.

Ah, Michael's cracked this one. My 2009 car was supplied with a large Z-embossed one which fits perfectly in the holder. It's clearly old stock and has the 350Z 'Z' logo on it rather than the 370Z 'Z' logo. I assume Nissan reduced the size and weight of the folder when the EU regs came in that reduced the 370Z power by a few BHP, so as to redress the balance ;)

To answer your question Steve, the plastic panel is a throwback to the earlier cars that had the Birdview Sat Nav. The Nav DVD drive was behind the slot and you can remove the panel to change map discs. There will be no problem taking the panel off to look behind. You might find you need to lift the floor and the padding to find the culprit though.

• Like 2

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Z* with a plethora of minor bespoke mods'

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

I think we've stumbled upon another helpful tip for buyers of used 370Zs now. If the seller needs a wheelbarrow to carry out the folder and accompanying paperwork the Zed in question is obviously packing plenty of muscle, and definitely worth having. Even more so if you leave most of the accompanying library at home. :thumbs:

Yes, it's quite chunky but I live in a flat. I need to keep all my storage space. :-)

Ah, Michael's cracked this one. My 2009 car was supplied with a large Z-embossed one which fits perfectly in the holder. It's clearly old stock and has the 350Z 'Z' logo on it rather than the 370Z 'Z' logo. I assume Nissan reduced the size and weight of the folder when the EU regs came in that reduced the 370Z power by a few BHP, so as to redress the balance ;)

To answer your question Steve, the plastic panel is a throwback to the earlier cars that had the Birdview Sat Nav. The Nav DVD drive was behind the slot and you can remove the panel to change map discs. There will be no problem taking the panel off to look behind. You might find you need to lift the floor and the padding to find the culprit though.

Thanks, Paul. I've noticed something else now. The dreaded rear axle click. Just waiting for my Ferodo pads to arrive and with the discs that arrived two weeks ago it looks like a maintenance day over the weekend.

• Like 2

I drove it! :bounce:

For a whole 2.5 hours! :bounce:

And 138 miles! :bounce:

It was soooo nice to actually use it :dtive1

• Like 2

To put that into context, that takes it up to 651 miles this year. What a terrible statistic :(

Edit: I also renewed the VED for another year. The number was very similar

I'm pleased to report that the new Android head unit and my HVAC controls worked really well.

Also the R35 seats were really comfortable, and I'm getting used to the new driving position.

Happy days :)

• Like 2

Filled up the Z with Shell VPower and drove home :)

Changed the front and rear discs and pads today. It nearly killed me all the kneeling, lying on my back and moving around the car. My legs feel worse than a heavy weight session at the gym. The discs look good though.attachicon.gif IMG_20200926_1637088.jpgattachicon.gif IMG_20200927_1506527.jpgattachicon.gif IMG_20200927_1505491.jpg

Good work mate. I'm very happy with mine.

I made some software changes to my HVAC controls this weekend. I'm pleased to say I'm now at the stage where I'm adding nice features and improving the displays rather than bug fixing.

So the controls now have more features than the standard Nissan one does:

• Mode (air vent) selection - I can now use the joystick to select the mode I want directly. For example, I press left and the mode changes to face vents only rather than having the cycle through all the available modes before you land on the right one. You can't instruct the car to set a specific mode so my software cycles through them until it's the right one
  • A/C consistency - when you cycle through modes, the car automatically switches on the AC when it goes to screen/feet and leaves it on even when you go past to another mode. My controls remember if you have the A/C on before it changes mode and will turn it off again if you didn't want it on before

There are a few things I still need to work out, such as if the car decides to turn off the heated rear screen automatically after a period of time or if it's the controls that I've removed. I guess it's the car and I don't have to code that, but I need to find that out.

• Like 1

I turned auto-rotation off on my head unit because I discovered that when I corner enthusiastically on an reverse camber bend it decides the display is in portrait mode :blush:

I am happy to report the car was on all 4 wheels so the gyro must just be a bit on the sensitive side :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On Friday I prepped the Z for it's MOT - re-enabled the headlight washers, gave it a clean, and double checked for any issues. I found the offside rear number plate light wasn't working but the bulb was OK, it just needed pushing in a bit more. It seems odd to have a push-in bulb pointing downwards, waiting to be vibrated out. But to be fair it hasn't happened before.

Today was the MOT and it passed no problem - except for the same bulb had worked loose again. I need to look at that...

Anyway, I picked the car up and the dealer had made my steering wheel Covid-proof:

gallery_245_77_37469.jpg

And my knob Covid-proof:

gallery_245_77_17354.jpg

Nice!

I didn't notice anything on the door handles or the horn press, but never mind. The dealer did a good job under tricky circumstances and the Z is legal for another year.

Happy days :)

• Like 2

Wished it a happy birthday. Born 2009 :)

Sorted the rear clicking axle, for now. It was only very subtle when rocking the car with 1st and reverse and having both windows down to hear it. Quick job. I used some moly based axle grease between the faces of the driveshaft rear face of the hub. Not sure why this needs greasing apart from to ease removal. Retorqued the hub nut to 105Nm and kept the crown thing over the axle nut, but using a good side of it then new split pin. If it comes back I'll use the Kawasaki axle nut with additional washers fix. They appear to be widely available for about £8 each.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I sorted my axle click out nearly two years ago now using Honda M77 Assembly paste. So far no axle click.

Also had my first part failure in 3 1/2 yrs ownership. Windscreen washer pump completely siezed up on sunday just gone. Managed to get a replacement and fit the washer pump in time for the Z's MOT today where it passed with flying colours. Just advised my front PS4's are wearing a little low on the outer edges. I blame Milton Keynes for that!

14 hours ago, David_R said:

I sorted my axle click out nearly two years ago now using Honda M77 Assembly paste. So far no axle click.

Also had my first part failure in 3 1/2 yrs ownership. Windscreen washer pump completely siezed up on sunday just gone. Managed to get a replacement and fit the washer pump in time for the Z's MOT today where it passed with flying colours. Just advised my front PS4's are wearing a little low on the outer edges. I blame Milton Keynes for that!

I have to get 2 x Michelin P sport4  and 2 x Michelin P sport4s for my Z, but I am going to wait for the new year.

I blame MK for a lot of things 😁 but then they do have some good clubs.

Vicky x

• 1 month later...

Not today but yesterday - passed its MOT with no advisories :)  Just under 3k miles since the last MOT.  Actually more miles than I though considering how much I have been working from home. 

Plus, I had the aircon regassed to try and help get some moisture out from inside as the windows tend to fog after a drive.

• Like 2

Brilliant result Dave. .  I use a 1Kg Bag (thing) in my car when its parked and the moisture when its parked has been sorted.    As i was getting a lot of moisture when it was parked up.

• Like 3

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Current - 2020 (20) Juke Tekna Plus, Gun Metal Grey/Red Contrast, DCT Gearbox, Clever Little Commuter Car

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

I actually bought a couple of those dehumidifier bags at the weekend too. My car alarm keeps on going off and I'm still trying to work out what causes it. Seems to do it more when it's damp. However, it's still going off :( The windows have been clearer since and the garage said I only had about a third of the refrigerant left (so air con was due some love anyway!) 

Dave, the alarm fault is almost certainly moisture (others on here getting the same), so it is a matter of purging the car of moisture using the aircon either when driving or doing the weekly turn-over.

If the problem persists, try turning the heat up to max for 10 minutes with the windows open when the car is parked in the drive. This draws the residual moisture out of all the cabin air feed pipes and also prevents the stale smell that can pervade under-driven cars. Not saying you've got that - just another benefit of doing it.

Jeff.

• Like 1

Fred I - 350Z 2007 Gunmetal. 6 CD changer, full leather, reverse sensors. SOLD.
Fred II - 370Z GT 2011 Gunmetal. Premium connect. GT spec. Seriously un-modified. See-through windows, and a wheel at each corner. Sold 13 July 14. Gone.
Fred III - 2014 facelift 370GT. Magma red. Reversing sensors. Invidia Gemini CBE. Sold 2 April 2016.
Fred IV - 2016 Daytona Blue 370Z GT. Reversing sensors. K & N panel filters. Invidia Gemini CBE. Full front wrap - Ventureshield II.

• JohnFK locked this topic