RJN Motorsport

Making Some Replacement Exhaust Gaskets

After a few years of good service my Invidia Gemini exhaust gaskets started to give out. They've been getting slowly worse over the last few years and now are in serious need of replacement (especially with my MOT due soon).

I considered replacing them with the same again but felt I should go for something longer lasting since I am not planning on selling the 370Z this century! Luckily Chubbs posted this up when he was selling his so I had a plan...

post-22-0-14299600-1531715090.jpg

...and I decided to make my own ones out of copper.

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Z* with a plethora of minor bespoke mods'

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

I did a little research and the few commercial copper gaskets I've found tend to me a fraction over 1mm thick so I ordered a some copper plate 300 x 300 x 1.2mm for the princely sum of £15.85 delivered :)

Using Chubbs template (thanks Geoff!) I marked up the plate:

gallery_245_371_47095.png

The plate was thick enough for me to use my jigsaw to cut them out:

gallery_245_371_24556.png

gallery_245_371_1189762.png

• Like 1

Next was to drill and cut the holes. I used progressively larger drill bits for the bolt holes and a metal hole cutter for the center one:

gallery_245_371_121248.png

gallery_245_371_375562.png

All done with the edges filed down:

gallery_245_371_490965.png

gallery_245_371_712552.png

• Like 1

Next was to anneal them, but I don't have a gas torch. Luckily my Dad does and it was a good excuse to take the Z out for a drive along some decent roads (and stop off at a Shell garage on the way as a bonus!)

gallery_245_371_431197.png

One annealed and 5 to go:

gallery_245_371_660277.png

Finally, all done:

gallery_245_371_344604.png

I bought a new set of zinc plated nuts and bolts so I'm all ready for the Members Workshop day next Saturday to make use of their ramps to get them fitted :)

• Like 5

looks like a really good job as usual Paul. Just wondering why copper and not an exhaust gasket material?

That's a good question. I'm led to believe that copper will last longer. I'll report back in a few years - watch this space! :lol:

As you may have read in the Workshop Day thread, I fitted some of these yesterday. Thanks to Chubbs for the diagram because they were perfect :thumbs:

gallery_245_532_219452.png

gallery_245_532_428337.png

They've sealed really well and I hope will last for many years. Time will tell, and so will I! :)

• Like 2

So, from the joys of having ramps and help last weekend to the reality of doing it on your driveway. The car up on axle stands and I was lying on the floor on my back :lol:

I had just 3 troublesome bolts to remove and it took me an age, 2 junior hacksaw blades and every swear word I knew to get the job finished.

Here's one of the little blinkers:

gallery_245_371_53879.png

I think you'll agree the old bolts and gaskets look a little 'second hand' :lol:

gallery_245_371_608730.png

Anyway, job done and the Z is ready for its MOT :)

• Like 4

Wire brush and some plus gas ;)

Failing that then the grinder comes out

Good shout but some of the worse ones were up in the transmission tunnel so there was very limited access!
  • Like 1

We're the nuts rounding off?

I have some Metrinch spanner's just for occasions like that 😁.

I usually find though that giving the threads really good brush with a wire brush and a good soak with plus gas works a treat, especially in areas that aren't subjected to road grime.

• Like 1

Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev remap

Yes, there were a couple of really tricky ones because they were tight to the pipes and I couldn't get a socket on. I could get a ring spanner on then but the heads were very rusted and rounded very quickly.

• Like 1

The spanners i have work on the flats of the nuts instead of the corners and they do work quite well though not on really rusted nuts and bolts.

Nice job though, very nice exhaust gaskets 😎

• Like 1

Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev remap

The spanners i have work on the flats of the nuts instead of the corners and they do work quite well though not on really rusted nuts and bolts.

Nice job though, very nice exhaust gaskets

Oooh, I feel tool envy coming on!
  • Like 1

Pmsl 😂 lots of choices out there these days, I bought mine when things like that were unheard of, back in about 1989.

I used to get Performance Bikes magazine and they tested these spanners with nuts turned down on a lathe until they couldn't undo them, most were nearly round when they failed and on the basis of that I bought a set and have had them since. They've been very good spanners and I'd recommend them to anyone.

• Like 2

Must... Refrain... From... The... Internet... After... Beer...

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

I'm just bumping this thread for reference.

Also, just to report that all is well with the gaskets 2 years on (albeit with very little running this year).

• Like 1

I need to source some exhaust gaskets. My car failed it's MOT yesterday because of a high lambda reading on fast idle in the emissions test. Examiner said this will because by the leaking gaskets that he noted in the advisories along with deteriorating heat shield.

I will have a fun day next weekend crawling under the car to replace them before the end of the 10 day retest window. I might as well clean out the throttle bodies while I am at it.

Yeah, the Invidia exhausts last forever but the gaskets are a weak point. I decided to try the copper ones rather than spend about £100(?) on another set of the same which will fail again. But, I suppose it depends on how long you plan to keep the car.

From memory, there was a place in Germanys selling replacement gaskets on eBay at the time I looked. I didn't go as far as asking UK distributors if they sold the gaskets individually. Something on your side is all the gaskets are the same.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the exhaust gaskets yesterday. I had to admit defeat and take the car to an exhaust and tyre place to do it. I couldn't even get one bolt off trying to do it myself on axle stands. The owner of the tyre and exhaust place loved the car because he was telling me he used to own a 300ZX. They needed to heat the bolts up with a torch to loosen them so they said I had no chance trying to do it in the path. haha.

Anyway, nearly two weeks ago I was buying gaskets. Various retailers were selling gasket kits for the Invidia Gemini for £50 upwards it seemed, although some did come with a new set of nuts and bolts, so I purchased one. I also noticed this place, ClampCo UK. (link below). I used Chubbs sketch and Paul's pictures to estimate a key dimension that was missed off the sketch, the "eye to eye" dimension. Using a rule against the screen (proper engineering) I estimated the E-E dimension to be 90mm.

I had a look on the ClampCo UK website and found these for only £1.32 each. Bargain! When I received them, they were individually packed, looked as good quality as the Gemini gasket kit I also ordered, although slightly thinner. I took them to the tyre and exhaust place and they said they were a perfect fit.

https://www.clampcouk.co.uk/eceg126-sug3-exhaust-gasket.html

Having a browse through all the other gaskets, they also manufacture gaskets from mild steel and stainless steel although I didn't have time to look into these, I went for ones similar to the gasket kit I already had.

It looks like this company sell a few other things at a good price too.

• Like 2

Very good mate :thumbs:

I remember I looked at ClampCo at the time I don't think they had the right size back then. Good find! Let us know how they go :)

• Like 1