RJN Motorsport

My New Juke

LESmo

Checked over all good paint wise no obvious issues in the first 30 miles had 7 miles on the clock.

dc47b37c0d082007c47ab704160df6ac.jpg

f38c04711f3f6aac00d1a6ba338aacd8.jpg

c3e78a6d8742830a996f3d2d55473fb9.jpg

06470066b4c0a055281e033e704adc4c.jpg

19c782cd7e508787a92b1840a44c5484.jpg

f8813c35e88171b5f8a1cb30b6004805.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Current - 2020 (20) Juke Tekna Plus, Gun Metal Grey/Red Contrast, DCT Gearbox, Clever Little Commuter Car

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Oh and no I still have the Zed here it is today....

cbadb6a6837cbaa99f8af1475abf07a2.jpg

• Like 1

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Current - 2020 (20) Juke Tekna Plus, Gun Metal Grey/Red Contrast, DCT Gearbox, Clever Little Commuter Car

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

First pics look great Les. But I bet it needs a detailing 😆😆 ...

• Like 1

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - "Muttley" (it was the only Z in the village ....)
Storm White R35 GT-R MY21 Track Edition… “Fully Loaded”

Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - "The Expensive Mistress"
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - "Dumbo"
Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R MY11 with Recaros - "The General"
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - "Dastardly"
[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]

When I finally get stuck at home I am going to have good look at it I have some Can Coat stuck on a courier at the moment which I hope will arrive

Generally apart from what looked like a squashed bug from the transporter the paint looks in good condition.

I now need to get my head around all the electronics.... Never had so many toys.

• Like 1

Looking very good Les :clap:

Well done for getting it just in time! I'm looking forward to hearing about your early experiences. Something to look forward to!

• Like 1

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Z* with a plethora of minor bespoke mods'

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

I guess you got to play with the heated front screen this morning :)

As the car doesn't have Gap started yet I have parked it up until Friday so I have only driven it so far from Letchworth to home. But come Friday I will be on my insurance and GAP will have started. Came to work in the Zed and had a iced up screen :lol: - I had originally got my insurance and the Gap started on Friday. So at the moment its covered by the Nissan Free insurance. Notice today its on the DVLA and so its registered and a Log Book is issued. Lets see if I can manage to not lose this one....

Look forward to reading the manual and learning to car it has so many buttons... Speed limiter is the same as the Zed though except Zed does groups of 10 and Juke does it in 5's

• Like 1

Nissan have done a great job with the styling I like it.

That colour combination is spot on. Looks almost like a Nismo with all the red accents

• Like 1

2016 GT-R Recaro Black. Stage 1 engine and gearbox remap epic!

No 1 GT-R Black Black from Marshalls. Helmet signed by Mizuno...

Paul_S Reversing Camera - Sold.

Sept 01 2004 Z GT gunmetal Alezan gone but not forgotten

Very nice Les It has the grin factor :teeth:

• Like 1

07765 406665
Infiniti FX 30d premium - loved it but now gone
QX70d S Design and owner and lovin' it - Alas, she has now gone too

350Z Chilli Red 2006, with full Do-Luck Kit and still looks as good as new!
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube

I got around to claying it today. The vast majority of the paintwork was really good and there was little contaminated paint. But the Driver wheel arch took about 30 minutes and the paint on the clay was unreal. I eventually had it like glass but it’s a little unsettling when you do it.

77df56d9ccf454f7d879699a87fedce1.jpg

I just put some spray on sealant as one day when the couriers start up again I have some one coat coming.

c1dad355bf96b86ff0b097aaafd86555.jpg

a0f5220864490620a99293eed34c0cc5.jpg

41861580d7d4e9c8bdbbabefd8e53b7f.jpg

8908f930634579b254f44c7c2942fa14.jpg

• Like 1

With the roads so quiet tonight I decided to try Pro Pilot. I enabled it in the menus as well as lane detection/maintenance. Set the speed to 55 and took my foot of the pedals. I could feel the car making minor changes to the steering, come the first corner it drove around it on its own. I was impressed if not a little nervous initially. In theory I can set a speed and the car will drive me home. Accelerate and brake and resume speed automatically using Radar. Just took back over when I got back to the Village.

Scary. Bet you didn't close your eyes though!

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - "Muttley" (it was the only Z in the village ....)

Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - "The Expensive Mistress"

You're a brave man! I noticed that both of the 2 we test drove had all that turned off. It seems the salespeople don't use it! :lol:

I played with the lane detection but nothing else on my drives.

The car needs to detect hands on the steering wheel. If it doesn't it soon flashes up a message on the dash - but not until about 20 seconds have passed and then it immediately goes off as soon as it detects the hands again.

Also found if you pull back the + Paddle for a few seconds the car goes completely into Manual mode on the gearbox and you control the gears - if you hold it again it goes back to Auto.

Apple Play works really well. The App which comes with the car lets just say needs development. I can see the Car on the App (it would be nice to be able to configure the colour scheme and model so you have your own car) - you have to provide the VIN number for - but the registration itself you have to start the car take a code off the screen and cycle the power, the app then confirms and after a while it starts to pick up the data. The route information is a bit hit and miss - and as for locking the doors like they show you on the advert - I think its fair to say you will want to do that manually. I suspect when Nissan have sorted it - it will be really good.

The Auto lights are clever - although they leave it much later to switch auto high beam off than I would - so I have that switched off but I can see that working on a country road.

At the moment I am getting about 41-47 mpg out of it on my commute - the Zed is about 21. So really at the moment with a engine that's not run it, it returning what I hoped. Feels strange though, cornering is good, but you definitely feel the height over the Zed. I am yet to see Auto braking, Pedestrian avoidance etc kick in.

• Like 1

I've been driving Sarah's Juke since she's been working from home (some time before the lock down) and so hadn't got into the Z for 3 weeks or so. When I did get back in I thought it felt really low! It's amazing how quickly you adapt to something and it feeling 'normal' so quickly.

I hope Nissan do keep developing the app. I think it's for the owners to give regular feedback to keep them on their toes. I imagine that's best done via the app store rather the dealer!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

First Month (500 ish Miles) Review

Its hard to believe with all that's going on I picked the Juke up over a month ago. And apart from the first three days it has been the daily. So had a chance to get used to it. But whats it like after about 25 years of either driving Hot Hatches or Sportscars to drive a 'normal car' as a daily?

The New Juke actually isn't a bad car - I have only driver a Gen 1 Juke a couple of times around my work car park while on close down but I would say it feels a step up. But the work Juke is way down on the equipment level to the Tekna+ I have. I have had digital speedos on every car since and including the 350z and the new large in dash screen gets over the need for that. The toys work really well - although Apple Play does sometimes require disconnection and re-connection to play music, but I suspect I am not giving it long enough. Space its great - well most of the time I am on my own in it, but the boot works for shopping standing up (something I cannot do with the 370z).

Handling is good, but you can feel the shift in the centre of gravity, you know you are in a higher car. Road noise isn't bad - people get hung up on that I never have been, doesn't really bother me, lets face it the Zed isn't quiet. Brakes with so little traffic I haven't really used in anger. They stop the Juke.

Gearbox - so I have the Dual Clutch Gearbox, doesn't feel like it hunts about, the biggest change is the throttle, you need so much more than the Zed to do the same things, but that's expected given the engine size. If you go into sport it does pick up. And if you hold the + paddle back for a second or so it will switch to manual mode. But like last time I had paddles I don't really use them.

Engine - 1ltr 3 Cyl Turbo. Now all the Web seems to go on about this all the time, how outrageous it is, how they would never drop to a engine that small - how the whole world will end. Its about 116bhp I think from memory, but not having all the weight in the engine and other bits and pieces it equated the original 1.6 Juke. Ok its not Zed quick - and slip roads are a more leisurely affair - but it picks up and when it uses its overboost it goes. I switched to Sport and went past a bike a few weeks ago - and let just say I was surprised at how quickly it dealt with that. But the engine does rattle a bit, more like a Diesel on idle - not perhaps as annoying as a diesel - and with Start Stop it doesn't affect you too much.

Hand Brake - Auto Hold - I have had Auto Hold both on and off. And its back on again. So like all start stop - the list of reasons why it won't be used is endless - temperature, air con on, the wrong leaves on the road. The Juke is no different. But when you stop the Dual Clutch - it enables automatically, Manual you have to I believe go into neutral. You then get a display up to say how much CO2 you have saved - and presumably a kitten is saved as a result. But with the Auto you can then take you feet off the brake and the car just sits there (on Auto Hold). When the lights go to amber you place you foot on the Accelerator and it fires back up - just in time for you to pull away on Green - timing is important if you are not to look like a complete numpty.

Infotainment - Finally, a system which includes Digital Radio, Apple Play, Google Play, 360 Camera - Weather, Traffic, In Air upgrades, Wifi (although you have to buy a subscription) - SOS Calling - which I last had in the BMW, You can send routes to the Car from the App, You can customise the Widgets on the Screen but the system is no Audi - but it isn't bad - touch is a bit clunky - but you learn to go with a firm press. To be honest I have been mainly using Digital Radio as I haven't had it - although the Mini is a 2012 and that has it. Gives a taste of the system any new Zed will have.

Controls. Speed limiter still exists, works the same way, although the Zed seems to allow a little less roaming over the limit, then there is Pro Pilot. This really isn't one system its many components which gradually increase central control. This is Traction, Stability, Auto Brake, Auto Accelerate (on DCT Only), Auto Steer, Driver alertness, Lane departure and Correction etc etc. So Like all these things I slapped everything on - but the Lane Departure Correction really doesn't work in road works - if you are crossing over lines with lanes coned off the system tries to fight you and if you don't behave it brakes automatically, which is a little dramatic for the car behind I suspect. I struggled with this on for 2 weeks and switched it off. Its not required as I see it at the moment at least while the A14 is in road works. I will try it again when the roadworks are over. I have not tried Autobrake yet (not brave enough) or Cyclist detection or Pedestrian detection. The little blind spot indicators which come on in the wing mirror are good. Wonder often what that looks like for cars coming passed in Lane 2. Then there is Steering Assist when you are in Adaptive Cruise Control. That's a clever little system. Adaptive Cruise is nice. Heater Front screen is quick and is lovely :-)

App - It has one, you can see where the car is parked, you can lock it, unlock it, flash the lights - make the horn sound, read the mileage, see the remaining fuel range, send maps, get a trip analysis - and get help from Nissan. Setting up the App was a less than pleasant experience and I would suggest anyone buying a new Juke create their account before they get the car. It took me two days to persuade Nissan to accept the request. Once you finally get an account on Nissan Connect (and there are two apps so you have to be careful which one you download). You then have to sit in the car - put the VIN number in and a Pin Code that Nissan generate and send to the Connect System. Once that's done you start to see the sync process. The app when I first downloaded it was rubbish - it would take 30 minutes to unlock the door and then you worried what state you had left the car in. They have recently updated it and while its not as quick or dramatic as the advert would have you believe , it does it in about 30 seconds. Now you think why would I need it. I did actually use it last weekend, as I didn't have the keys but had my phone - I opened the car and locked it with the app. But to be honest I think it could do a lot more than it does - and its work in progress for Nissan. But the App does work now at least.

MPG - I have filled up once in a month - its doing currently on my commute around 51 Mpg and I have seen 55 Mpg on one trip. I am using really only Normal mode for the commute. Eco mode is just plain nasty. Sport is the best but on commute I really don't need to use it. Yesterday when I filled up the tank (I had 25 mile range left) - it was £47 for V Power. It will run on either E5 or E10 fuel. But as I always run the Zed on V Power I am doing the same for the Juke. I was previously using about £180 a month for Fuel on the Zed.

Issues so far - Right, apart from Lane Departure correction, which isn't a issue really as it can be turned off. I had a couple of mornings when a warning came on about auto braking, it was on a very cold dewey morning and when I turned the steering wheel to either direction, it flashed to say it wasn;t enabled. Its not the most helpful logo in the world and looks like two cars crashing in an electric shock - but after I dragged the manual out I worked it out. When I got up to speed the problem went away and it only happened twice. There was some mention about one of the cameras being obstructed in some way. Who knows.

Lights - Bright LED - it does have a light level adjustment which I haven't seen for 20 years - and realised the other day I had it on the wrong setting - when I moved it to Zero - there we go the LEDs were spot on. Auto Dip - Well there is a thing, if it bounces off the Hi Viz on a cone its like a Manchester Rave flashing on and off - open roads though it works well - cannot see any way to say I will control it leave me alone though.

Not really an issue - but the paint on one wing I don't think was finished that well, I clayed it for about 30 minutes - and the grey paint coming off on the clay was alarming, but after that it was fine - I think putting a Silicon coating on early on - will help the paint. But the usual light scratches have appeared on the Piano Black A Pillar trims - I may carbon them in the future as with the Zed I am sure there will be some accessories in time.

Rare - at the moment its very rare on the road. Like super rare, I don't think it will be - but a older QQ came passed the other day and I realised its about the same size as the first generation QQ. That goes to show how big it now is. I have not seen another on the road in a month. But give it 2 years and they will be everywhere I suspect. But for a while at least Its rare.

So there we go first month - real life review of the new Nissan Juke. Its not a bad old thing, its no sports car, but its not a bad place to be. The equipment is good, the finish is good, I would have loved perhaps a slightly bigger engine, but is not the end of the world (if you listen to Gen 1 Juke Owners you would think however it is). And its a marked step up on the one we have at work. Gives a real taste of what might come on the next generation Zed. As I suspect most if not all of the Pro Pilot will be included as well finding a way to fit all the cameras - I think I have 5 in total. But when you drive the Zed its like new again, it feels so fast and planted, the noise is amazing. Sometimes it pays to drive a normal daily to appreciate the Zed.

• Like 5

Great write up Les, thank you for giving us the insight. The app sounds fun, well when it finally becomes more responsive anyway. Didnt realise it had one !

• Like 1

07765 406665
Infiniti FX 30d premium - loved it but now gone
QX70d S Design and owner and lovin' it - Alas, she has now gone too

350Z Chilli Red 2006, with full Do-Luck Kit and still looks as good as new!
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube

Good read Les. Would you care to elaborate on how and when the 360 degrees camera works please?

The Cameras have different roles at different time. When parking the cameras display the side and front / rear - As a single image so almost like you were looking down on the car - its a little strange the first time you park - there is also a image similar to the Zed reversing camera. it also has sensors and if you are brave it will stop you automatically. I am not brave to see what happens if I try and hit something. The front camera like the Infiniti comes on automatically when you come up to something. So parking side its either the same as the infiniti? or a advance on that, I think Chilli has most experience of that to know for sure.

There is a Camera built into the nissan badge at the front, one in a similar place to the Zed / GTR at the rear and one in either Wing Mirror - under it.

There is a 5th Camera in the Cabin near the rear view mirror - that reads road signs and its used by Pro Pilot for Adaptive Cruise and Lane Assist. I believe the front and rear Parking Sensors work with the Pedestrian and Cycle avoidance / as well as with the cross traffic when you reverse the sensor can see what you can't and warns you if you are about to pull out into the front/side of someone.

The parking sensors and the front Camera in the cabin are used activate the lane warning in the wing mirrors - So around and about there is a lot of kit stopping you smashing the car up. On a private road you can take your hands off the steering wheel for about 20 seconds before it starts to tell you off. All the time its handling the steering, will go around a corner and if its too fast it brakes and goes around the corner. Once the system hasn't gained any response form you, it starts to automatically brake in the lane and applies the 4 ways - coming to a complete controlled stop in lane you are in - I get thats not great if you are in Lane 3 unconscious - but better than crashing off a motorway I guess. I have seen a clip of it doing it from 70Mph absolutely no dramas apart from the alarms in the Cabin. I believe but I cannot be sure it then activates the SOS function automatically and send co-ordinates to the response centre. Here are a few promo videos. Show some of the uses of the Cameras.

http://youtu.be/m6K0N-WRmkk

http://youtu.be/d_zvBAoHsek

• Like 1

• Like 1

Thanks Les. I find it more and more difficult to judge front parking when I'm regularly changing cars. It the current GT-R could have a front park camera it might have swung my order hesitation. Front park assist sensors dont do it for me as they go off parking alongside walls, etc.

• Like 2

An interesting read great that Nissan are introducing these technologies across the range except Z and GTR.

I find the blind spot warning excellent on the wife’s Merc there have been a couple of times where it has helped.

At what speeds does the auto hard braking work? I have heard of a few cases on German cars of hard braking being applied when not required so think they technology needs a few more years yet to recognise some of the less obvious conditions.

Interesting that you mention a crash protection system warning. I’ve had about 3 times recently On the merc where it warned me but the warning and manual do not make it clear why. I think it is down to fog dew and to much road spray if the windscreen wipers are not fast enough.

Finally get it down to litchfields for a tune! I had there Stage 2 dig t juke and blew off a 520 D in it...

• Like 2

2016 GT-R Recaro Black. Stage 1 engine and gearbox remap epic!

No 1 GT-R Black Black from Marshalls. Helmet signed by Mizuno...

Paul_S Reversing Camera - Sold.

Sept 01 2004 Z GT gunmetal Alezan gone but not forgotten

Cheers Paul. I need to look in the manual for actual facts but as far as I know emergency braking triggers at any speed and is automatically on. It doesn't guarantee no damage though as far as I know it just mitigates against it as much as it can. I found a Rouge video which uses the same system

http://youtu.be/fRdUNm-fnrk

• Like 1