My New Juke

LESmo

Great write up Les. Thanks for that :clap: Very interesting stuff.

I can't help thinking that at if this level we're all guinea pigs testing out the tech before they go full on driverless.

I wonder if there will be Pro Pilot upgrades installed when you service the car. It might be Nissan will make changes and, depending on what they are, may either make a big thing of telling you or decide to stay quiet.

You've obviously saved some decent cash with the improved MPG. With the roads so quiet, even in Normal mode I expect your journey hasn't taken any longer either.

• Like 1

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Z* with a plethora of minor bespoke mods'

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

• 2 weeks later...

So how is it going now Les? :)

I read this long-term test review the other day. Would you say it's a fair article?

Have you been keeping an eye on the oil level? There's no particular reason for me asking that other than it's a relatively new design and we know some engines consume oil more than others. I wondered if it's a 'user'.

Keeping check on the oil will be important with this one I think, like it is with the 1.2T engine in Sarah's current Juke. Some 1.2's suffered with timing chain issues exacerbated by low oil levels and infrequent oil changes.

Interesting you mentioned oil. I checked it last weekend and about 3 weeks ago So every couple of weeks. It had not' touched a drop but I am keeping an eye on it.

I have a report in the Garage for two faults - one the red trim at the front is lifting and need sticking down and the centre console has been fitted incorrectly near the seat belt on the drivers site. As neither is affecting the use and as CV-19 means the dealer has to handle other priorities and although I am a Key Worker I am holding off to get them fixed. But the issues are registered. I fully intend to make sure anything I pick up during Warranty is dealt with.

Mechanically everything has been great. I do like the removable floor in the Boot. I did have one of the Blind spot detectors get confused in the rain when I was coming off a slip road and it stayed on. But I just cycled the power on the car at the first opportunity and it was fine again.

I have not seen any error lights since the morning with the Auto braking warning, The speed varied cruise control works well. Heated front screen is quick. Generally for the money its a good car, Just a couple of superficial issues to deal with.

• Like 1

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Current - 2020 (20) Juke Tekna Plus, Gun Metal Grey/Red Contrast, DCT Gearbox, Clever Little Commuter Car

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

That's good to hear on the oil front. I might have known you'd be watching it :)

I think you've done the right thing regarding the faults. It's good to keep on top of things. Even if it's a very simple fix the factory needs to know.

I was thinking today, with current events there will be very few 20 plate Jukes on the road.

7794dc4f24c003de48c51c4b2349348f.jpg

Checked Oil again today after nearly 2 months and with the opening of the A14 so faster commutes in and not touched a drop yet which is impressive so far doesn’t look like a oil burner. Will be back at the watering hole this week for the second time in two months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Current - 2020 (20) Juke Tekna Plus, Gun Metal Grey/Red Contrast, DCT Gearbox, Clever Little Commuter Car

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

I am growing to love Apple Car Play more and more. Having Amazon Music and Waze is brilliant. The warning about the police from other Waze users - Friday Night d1ck Turpin was hiding up the road from work and I knew about it before I drove out of the car park.

I am not sure I will ever really use the Nissan inbuilt GPS again. So about 3 month into picking her up what do I know. Covered just under 870 miles. Its fair to say the MPG has dropped since the opening of the A14 - so at 70 Mph cruise speed for most of the Journey I am down to 35-38 Mpg - but it costs me about £45 a month in Fuel.

Life isn't as quiet in the Juke than the Zed. Bongs and messages flash up - the Zed just sits there - with really very few warning messages. This Auto braking thing gets upset from time to time including one night when I got a "System Failure Message" - Restart the car and it was fixed but I will have it checked anyway in case its a sensor or loose wire.

At the moment after 3 months I have not seen a single other one on the road. I suspect that will soon change when the factory starts up Its a nice car to clean although I do have some steps to reach the roof. So Issues to date:

1. Red Trim on front Bumper needs re-attaching / replacing
2. Centre Console needs refitting (if its been scratched replaced)
3. Auto Braking needs investigating to find the cause of the sporadic errors.
4. Blind Spot Detection needs software update if one exists - I have had both sides stay on and not go off once each in 3 months. Reset the car fixes it.

086d85e1c6ea1d52ae4905d75c4b8127.jpg
9a281ae6025fc75a9ae7ef1400fe61ce.jpg

Finally got the Juke and Zed together this afternoon as the Space became free to take a photo

bc854dff2d17b904d04d45ae6235a0db.jpg

839c8aead7c173a5765f1771855dc1f4.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the update Les. It's good to hear it doesn't use oil :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fairly similar to the Zed I think mate. I have just hit 1000 miles in the Juke. Zed has done less than 800 miles since February.

287f4c539e2dca1ee7ac107995811068.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not planning on towing anything, but you never know!

• Like 1

I see Nissan have started production in Sunderland again :)

They have indeed. Which is good news.

They have indeed. Which is good news.

It is, but they'll be all over the place before you know it!

I saw the first one (twice) in our area last weekend. I got ready to wave (Not sure if Juke people do that) and realised I was in the Zed.... I figured they would think I was a nutter. But its only a matter of time.

• Like 1

I saw the first one (twice) in our area last weekend. I got ready to wave (Not sure if Juke people do that) and realised I was in the Zed.... I figured they would think I was a nutter. But its only a matter of time.

Haha! :lol:

When we had Sarah's first Juke there we very few on the roads and we used to wave. Then they got very popular and we stopped to prevent RSI.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Juke is coming up to 3 months old Wednesday this week.

Its covered so far 1332 miles.

As far as faults are concerned they are fairly superficial. Strangely the Auto brake warning I have not seen once since I booked the car into the dealer but they can take a look to see what the cause is. The internal central console needs taking apart and putting back together properly (Factory assembly issue) and the front Red Accent needs sticking down on one side. I also had once on both sides the Mirror blind spot indicators come on and stay on but again not seen that for about a month - Its booked in for Mid July to have it hooked up and fix the couple of cosmetic items.

As for driving its really comfortable and very stable (for such a high centre of gravity). Power wise you learn how to use what you have with overboost it has 117 bhp which is about the same as a lot of small SUV's - the Hybrid C-HR with 2ltr Engine only puts out 184 with a 0-62 of 8.2 seconds - the Juke pulls up to it in 10.4 with a 3 Cylinder 1 Ltr engine. Its fair to say it could have done perhaps with a 1.2 to match the looks - but you find 0-30 pulls away from the majority of shopping trolleys.

Fuel - when the A14 was in Roadworks I routinely got 55 MPG out of it in a mix of 70 and 40 Mph areas. Since its been fully 70mph I am getting around 45 Mpg in the Commute run but longer runs I have seen routinely 50 Mpg - Nissan claim it does 47.9 - so their estimate is pretty much spot on.

I tend to find myself using Pro Pilot for all my Multi-Lane driving with the car automatically steering and braking and moving away, Gearbox is good, it can surge when you touch the accelerator in reverse but apart form that its fairly smooth. Paddles - I have used twice same happened with the BMW - just don't use them. Auto Hold is very good, although makes transfers to the Zed driving the need of being careful. Auto-Stop isn't quick. However, you only have to tap the Steering wheel and the engine kicks back into life so if I watch the other lights and they go Amber I hit the steering and its ready to move away on my green.

Paintwork, when it arrived one wing was suffering from over spray fairly badly and took 30 minutes with a clay bar to sort out, but apart from that its pretty good. I did apply a coating within the first two weeks and have been applying GTechniq C2V3 - today I put a layer of Wax on it. I have also applied the GTechniq Plastic Trim restorer to the Arches etc - so they don't fade.

Cost to run. The Zed was doing the daily commute until March and was using around £180 a month - so 3 months would have been £540 in Fuel - the Juke I have filled up 3 Times so far - £152.40 - so about £50 a month. I am running the Juke on Shell V-Power I don't need too but I am. As a commute car is absolutely fine.

Oil - It hasn't used any - check it every week, but so far not a drop and for a Turbo Car that's impressive. The mini drinks oil. Although when cold it does rattle a bit like a Diesel.

Practicality, well its pretty good not had anyone in the back seats yet, but the boot is bigger than most hatchbacks and the adjustable floor is great. As you would expect the seats fold as well.

Ride and Handling, Some say the ride is firm, they clearly haven't used a Nismo as a daily :-) - Its firm but not stupid firm, on heavily saturated roads its sure footed. The Hankook tyres I have had on the Zed and they are good, not seen Traction control kick in as yet.

We do have a Juke at work and while i have not driven it very much, it does feel much smaller inside. The various parking cameras make parking a breeze and you feel quite confident parking next to a curb. The LED headlights are very bright. Although I hadn't worked out that it was set to the lowest setting for the first month or so - when I increased the headlight angle the lighting is amazing. LED obviously do not self level like the Xenons.

At the moment strangely the Juke is very rare, most were not delivered as lock down happened - so you are luckily to sport one, that said I though I did the other day and it was the Toyota CH-R - so just goes to show how similar they are to each other.However, you will drop into the world of mundane - compared to the Zed which is always being admired, you know you are back in a metal box and nearly no one pays any attention - I have had more people ask about the Zed and been surprised I swapped (I have to assure them its safe and sound at home) - comes from having two registrations so similar.

But its really not a bad car - certainly large enough - being nearly the same size as the first Generation Nissan QQ.

aea69181d80ed601e34e37f7d9a94cee.jpg

9e0f5f7bc51f739b0e1d03772cba6395.jpg

197e0c9870201ac97ab284fc3b94d52b.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

So today the Road Tax was renewed for the coming year.  Still a good 6-7 weeks before it is a year old - but its coming up for its first service.  Hard to believe really, it had definitely been the work horse for the Zed in the past year.   Road Tax for this coming year is £150.

Still have a lot of time for this little car.  Had to tighten one of the door closer bolts the other day as that was clicking, but apart form the auto brake getting upset in certain weather its a reliable little car.  Checked the oil again yesterday and still not used any.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Nice one Les.  Sarah's one has been a charm.  So much better than her previous ones.

It was only today when I loaded it up with a large quantity of junk* for a run to the tip tomorrow that it occurred to me that you can store the rear parcel shelf under the boot floor when it's raised to the higher level,

*don't worry, I bought a Hippo Bag to line the load area to keep the Juke clean!

• Like 1

Under the floor - Brilliant - Didn't know that Paul.  That's a great idea will give that a go.

I think there is a software update for the Autobraking, I asked about it when the Zed was being MOTd - and they will check when its in for its service in bout 3 weeks, if there is I will post up.  Apparently it came out in October.

• Like 1

Yep, plenty of room under there.

That's interesting.  The auto 'handbrake' on Sarah's works fine on a trip but I've noticed that it often needs to be manually triggered after manoeuvring at slow speeds (like faffing around on the driveway).  I might have a word with my dealer :)

Does Sarah use Autohold?  I must admit I sometimes manually trigger it by hand but it would definitely be worth speaking to the dealer.  

Yes, we use it all the time.  Most of the time it works.  Sometimes we need to reach for the button.

It's never failed to work on hill starts, junctions, etc. - just after slow backwards and forwards stuff on the flat.