Advertise Here

What type of battery is fitted to 370Z?

I have hardly driven the last few months due to a couple of slipped discs.

The pain has got worse the last 7-8 weeks which meant no driving at all.

I now have to think about keeping the battery charged.

I have a Black & Decker (model BDV1084) 12v fully automatic battery charger but the problem with it is that it is designed to only charge lead-acid batteries.

I'm no expert on batteries but am pretty sure that the batteries fitted to cars these days are not lead-acid.

I'm wondering if I can use the charger I already have or do I need to get a new one?

I don't want to damage the battery fitted, which was fitted a few months ago at a Nissan dealership.

What would happen if I use my battery charger on a battery it was not designed for?

Prof, just search Forums for “battery charger” - there is plenty of advice there and several product recommendations (with links) for you to choose from. You can put trust in things our established membership have used.

Jeff.

Fred I - 350Z 2007 Gunmetal. 6 CD changer, full leather, reverse sensors. SOLD.
Fred II - 370Z GT 2011 Gunmetal. Premium connect. GT spec. Seriously un-modified. See-through windows, and a wheel at each corner. Sold 13 July 14. Gone.
Fred III - 2014 facelift 370GT. Magma red. Reversing sensors. Invidia Gemini CBE. Sold 2 April 2016.
Fred IV - 2016 Daytona Blue 370Z GT. Reversing sensors. K & N panel filters. Invidia Gemini CBE. Full front wrap - Ventureshield II.

If it is a oem battery it will be lead acid and any 12v battery charger will charge any car battery. The only difference is in the charge controller where you to leave it on for a few weeks. Although if it's not flat I wouldn't worry about it. I left mine for 4 months or so with no problem.

gallery_245_423_13930.png

If it is a oem battery it will be lead acid and any 12v battery charger will charge any car battery. The only difference is in the charge controller where you to leave it on for a few weeks. Although if it's not flat I wouldn't worry about it. I left mine for 4 months or so with no problem.

I might have to leave mine longer than 4 months, depends how long I now have to wait for a hospital appointment due to the Coronavirus.

At the moment it's been 6 weeks since it was last driven so I have a good few weeks before I have to worry about charging it.

• 4 weeks later...

Be careful with the CTEK ones. Some won't charge a totally flat battery. Just something to be aware of.

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - "Muttley" (it was the only Z in the village ....)
Storm White R35 GT-R MY21 Track Edition… “Fully Loaded”

Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - "The Expensive Mistress"
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - "Dumbo"
Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R MY11 with Recaros - "The General"
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - "Dastardly"
[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]

I do have a battery charger but it's designed to only charge lead-acid batteries.

I was trying to find out what type of battery is fitted to the 370Z.

It looks like it is a lead-acid.

I have searched on Google and emailed Nissan UK who weren't 100% sure, which surprised me.

In the end I decided it must be a lead-acid and used my charger. It took 6 hours to fully charge.

Edited by ProfessorZ

I do have a battery charger but it's designed to only charge lead-acid batteries.

I was trying to find out what type of battery is fitted to the 370Z.

It looks like it is a lead-acid.

I have searched on Google and emailed Nissan UK who weren't 100% sure, which surprised me.

In the end I decided it must be a lead-acid and used my charger. It took 6 hours to fully charge.

Yes, it will be lead acid or possibly an AGM variant. Either way, a standard lead acid battery charger will work. The only time you have to be careful is with lithium based batteries. These are not fitted to the 370z as standard, as they cost a fortune.

• Like 1

Peugeot 205 XS : 1995 to 2002

Toyota Celica: 2002 to 2007

Nissan 350z : 2007 to 2017

Ford Ka : 2017 - 2019

Nissan 370z : 2017 -

On a slightly different topic, I notice that CTEK do a charger specifically for cars with stop-start now. I wonder what's different about them :?:

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Z* with a plethora of minor bespoke mods'

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

Yes, it will be lead acid or possibly an AGM variant. Either way, a standard lead acid battery charger will work. The only time you have to be careful is with lithium based batteries. These are not fitted to the 370z as standard, as they cost a fortune.

From what I've read, an AGM battery needs a different charging algorithm than a standard battery but I can't find out what happens to a AGM battery if a charger designed only for lead-acid is used. Edited by ProfessorZ

On a slightly different topic, I notice that CTEK do a charger specifically for cars with stop-start now. I wonder what's different about them :?:

From what I've read, batteries used for stop-start are AGM so need a charger designed for this type.

As mentioned above, a different charging algorithm is used.

Edited by ProfessorZ
  • Like 1

From what I've read, batteries used for stop-start are AGM so need a charger designed for this type.

As mentioned above, a different charging algorithm is used.

Interesting. I need to do some reading around that then.

After a service on Sarah's Juke (which is start-stop) the dealer advised driving with the lights on every now and then to keep the battery fully charged up. They said it was a bit low.

I couldn't help thinking that was a workaround to a fault with the charging circuit.

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Z* with a plethora of minor bespoke mods'

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

I'm still not sure what type of battery I have.

If it is a AGM, I hope I haven't damaged it using my standard charger, but it is one of the 'smart' ones.

I've searched and searched but can't find the information I'm after, whether using a standard Smart charger can damage a AGM battery?

Edited by ProfessorZ

I'm still not sure what type of battery I have.

If it is a AGM, I hope I haven't damaged it using my standard charger, but it is one of the 'smart' ones.

I've searched and searched but can't find the information I'm after, whether using a standard Smart charger can damage a AGM battery?

Depends on how smart your charger is. My Ctek says in the manual that the normal battery program is suitable for wet batteries, MF, Gel *and many *AGM batteries*.

Looking at the charging profiles, the only difference for my ctek between normal and AGM is that normal charges up to 14.4v and AGM charges up to 14.7v. The float charge is the same.

If your battery charger is very old/basic, it might charge at over 15v which can cause issues for AGM batteries.

• Like 1

Peugeot 205 XS : 1995 to 2002

Toyota Celica: 2002 to 2007

Nissan 350z : 2007 to 2017

Ford Ka : 2017 - 2019

Nissan 370z : 2017 -

Depends on how smart your charger is. My Ctek says in the manual that the normal battery program is suitable for wet batteries, MF, Gel *and many *AGM batteries*.

Looking at the charging profiles, the only difference for my ctek between normal and AGM is that normal charges up to 14.4v and AGM charges up to 14.7v. The float charge is the same.

If your battery charger is very old/basic, it might charge at over 15v which can cause issues for AGM batteries.

I have a Black & Decker (model BDV1084) which is a few years old now.

I don't know how clever the 'smart' part of the charger is.

If the battery is AGM will my charger charge it correctly? I don't know.

As you mention, a AGM battery can charge slightly higher than a lead-acid battery.

If I have a AGM and is charged to 14.4v instead of 14.7v, I'm wondering if that will make a difference to the battery?

Edited by ProfessorZ

Your 370z battery will be a standard lead acid battery, probably a zero maintenance version where you cannot top up the electrolyte.

The Black and Decker charger will be fine to keep the battery topped up, but probably needs the battery disconnected from the car to be charged.

The Ctek chargers/conditioners are designed to be connected to the battery whilst still installed in the car and connected. I currently use a MXS5.0 on my 350z.

AGM batteries are in fact still Lead Acid batteries, but can support higher discharge and charge rates hence why they typically utilised in stop start equipped cars, as they quickly re-charge after each start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

<p class='bbc_center'>If you cant explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.</p>

An easy way to check if you have an AGM battery is the price. A branded AGM battery will be two to three times the price of a standard lead acid battery. So unless you've spent at least £250 upwards it's highly likely to be a standard lead acid battery. It would also be very strange why a dealer would fit an AGM battery to a car without start/stop.

I went through a similar situation years ago trying to work out what type of battery I had in my Mini. My dad has a Qashqai with start/stop. His battery was replaced under warranty luckily otherwise it would of cost him £350 to replace. The cars that use them tend to have a little box of electronics on one of the battery terminals or close to it. When replaced you have to go into the service menu to tell it you have replaced the battery and the specifications of the battery. AGM's have a predefined charging programme dependent on battery specification and age.

• Like 3

An easy way to check if you have an AGM battery is the price. A branded AGM battery will be two to three times the price of a standard lead acid battery. So unless you've spent at least £250 upwards it's highly likely to be a standard lead acid battery. It would also be very strange why a dealer would fit an AGM battery to a car without start/stop.

I went through a similar situation years ago trying to work out what type of battery I had in my Mini. My dad has a Qashqai with start/stop. His battery was replaced uner warranty luckily otherwise it would of cost him £350 to replace. Also the cars that use them tend to have a little box of electronics on one of the battery terminals or close to it. Plus when replaced you have to go into the service menu to tell it you have replaced the battery and the specifications of the battery. AGM's have a predefined charging programme deonedent on battery specification and age.

Thanks for the info.

From what you said I must have a normal lead-acid battery.

Greg and Ste_ac - you know your batteries, don’t you! Veritable fonts of knowledge!

Fred I - 350Z 2007 Gunmetal. 6 CD changer, full leather, reverse sensors. SOLD.
Fred II - 370Z GT 2011 Gunmetal. Premium connect. GT spec. Seriously un-modified. See-through windows, and a wheel at each corner. Sold 13 July 14. Gone.
Fred III - 2014 facelift 370GT. Magma red. Reversing sensors. Invidia Gemini CBE. Sold 2 April 2016.
Fred IV - 2016 Daytona Blue 370Z GT. Reversing sensors. K & N panel filters. Invidia Gemini CBE. Full front wrap - Ventureshield II.