Horsham Developments

"Electric cars are the Betamax of the car industry"

(the thread title borrowed from another place!)

My question regarding the recent Government announcement of no petrol or diesel only cars to be sold by 2030 is: What about Vans, Trucks, Trains, etc. The above is from a government who cancelled a large railway electrification project and retrofitted dozens of new trains with underfloor diesel engines...

What about hydrogen power and other alternatives (the marine industry are building a prototype ship with an ICE powered by ammonia!)?

Discuss!

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - "Muttley" (it was the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - "The Expensive Mistress"
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - "Dumbo"
Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R MY11 with Recaros - "The General"
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - "Dastardly"
[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]

I can not help but think it is the most ridiculous thing bojo has come out with yet.will the infrastructure be in place for all these extra cars I very much doubt it, the only people who are going to pay for the infrastructure are the general public and I do not there is the momentum for that yet. Electric cars are not the answer they are a poor stop gap in my opinion. Is this about pollution or the middle East

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Just the basic issues make this idea completely ridiculous

1, Every house that is over 5 years old will need a whole new electric supply.

2, The motor industry is not able to produce an additional 2 million electric cars just for the UK market.

Then the big issue

3, We simply do not have enough electricity to power 2 million new electric cars, and this is just in year 1, by year 4 at current new car sales there will be 8-10 million electric cars. UK peak demand is 75GW, 2 million new cars will potentially add 52GW to this demand in year 1, by year 4 over 200GW. We would have had to be building power stations decades ago to meet this increase!!

gallery_245_423_13930.png

What are the "Some Hybrids" Allowed after 2030?  Is this the QQ type engine in another post which is a Petrol Generator charging what is an electric motor driven car?

I am "lucky" enough to head up the 2030 agenda at work - which I cannot feel is ironic - so I was interested if we could be zero carbon, so during lock down we shut everything off we didn't need and by that I mean we were running heating, cooling, extraction, alarms and CCTV mainly, so not huge power, we have Ground Source, We have Solar, we have a wind Turbine - we have a Biomass - so pretty much all the bells and whistles and we were not carbon neutral - we still generated around 30,000kgs of CO2 a month.  Ok that's down a  lot but we could not hit it.

Where do they plan to put these charging points - some of them need as much power per charger as we have to a floor in one of our buildings - I cannot see how its do-able unless these Rolls Royce mini reactors really take off and every village has their own reactor - and they had better start changing the cables out.  The next thing you will hear about is pavements bursting into flames as happened in London (Not sure if it still does?)

I wonder what the order book will be like in Q3 of 2029 for Petrol Cars (That is only 9 years away) - then what the life for Petrol Cars - another 20 years or so?  I think its certain the Zed will stay on the road in my lifetime.

Personally I am not against a Electric Car - even an electric Zed (which lets face it might be the only way we get one).  I suppose I could make it work as I have charging points at work - but even then I am still not sure I would find it as flexible at the moment as petrol.

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Current - 2020 (20) Juke Tekna Plus, Gun Metal Grey/Red Contrast, DCT Gearbox, Clever Little Commuter Car

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

I saw something recently where there was a company that has started using lamposts as a supply point for electric cars and the article said something about the average car will need charging every 9 days (there was some rationale behind this but can't remember what it was). On the basis of the 9 days calculation, they reasoned that this was enough for most neigbourhoods.

Yes I thought, that is assuming that not 2 households need to charge their cars at the same time! 

I thought the 2035 deadline was ambitious but 2030 - can't help thinking there are other agenda's to that announcement.

2011 Gunmetal Nissan GTR Premium Edition - Litchfield Stage 1, Miltek Y-Pipe, Alcon Discs, Ferodo DS2050 Pads, Flat bottomed steering wheel
2016 Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - APR Stage 1 tune with High Flow air filter and Secondary Decat Pipes - I'LL MISS THE POPS AND BANGS (BUT THE NEIGHBOURS WON'T)
2012 Pearl White 370Z GT Edition - Invidia Gemini catback exhaust with burnt titanium rolled tips, Stillen Gen 3 Intake Kit, UpRev, 15mm Eibach spacers, Satin Black painted bumpers - GONE TO A NEW OWNER WITHIN THE CLUB BUT WILL BE VERY FONDLY REMEMBERED.
2005 Gun Metal 350Z GT, Alezan Leather & plenty of mods - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

I echo the thoughts of Milanored and PaulW above; in some ways this announcement by the government reminds me of one about 12-15 years ago when the Minister for Digital Comms (or some such similar title) declared his government's intention for the whole country to move over to digital radio within about 5 years. That is, for analogue radio to go off air.

Once the facts of life had been explained to his dept, the proposal was quietly withdrawn.

There are parallels to be drawn here.

Fred I - 350Z 2007 Gunmetal. 6 CD changer, full leather, reverse sensors. SOLD.
Fred II - 370Z GT 2011 Gunmetal. Premium connect. GT spec. Seriously un-modified. See-through windows, and a wheel at each corner. Sold 13 July 14. Gone.
Fred III - 2014 facelift 370GT. Magma red. Reversing sensors. Invidia Gemini CBE. Sold 2 April 2016.
Fred IV - 2016 Daytona Blue 370Z GT. Reversing sensors. K & N panel filters. Invidia Gemini CBE. Full front wrap - Ventureshield II.

If only someone in power had a family member who needed to be in hospital urgently, and waiting for an ambulance to arrive (or an electric car to change for a few more hours to make the distance) is not an option, and those cars that fuel easily and hold onto that energy for long periods of time will appeal a little more.

A few months ago one of the current script writers for the BBC's Top Gear wrote: ". . . the ability to stuff our cars with a vast amount of energy in a tiny amount of time is a historical anomaly, not a divine right".  So the future is going to be a backwards step then? How very woke. Bojo needs a new girlfriend methinks.

I am against electric cars. They are soulless, boring and mind-numbing. I like the way petrol cars sound, and the way they improve the warmer they get. I enjoy deciding when to change gear, and the process of doing so. If it helps to keep my mind fresh, it might help keep me out of the adult social care debit column too.

I notice today a Japan launch of a new Note with only an electric powertrain. Havent looked the details yet but with the QQ configuration I wonder if Nissan are actually being very clever. If traditional ICEs are to be banned in a numbet of years time, they could eventually be replaced by an alternative power unit, e.g. hydrogen, which would then still charge the batteries and keep the electric drive motors.

Hmmm...

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - "Muttley" (it was the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - "The Expensive Mistress"
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - "Dumbo"
Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R MY11 with Recaros - "The General"
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - "Dastardly"
[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]