Advertise Here

Nearly a 370Z Nismo Owner

Evening all - just registered this evening and hoping to learn of any bad points and/or things to look out for/ask about concerning a three year old (December 2017) 370Z Nismo. I've read about a couple of potential failings but they happened to be on older cars (2013/2014) so they may have been ironed out by Nissan by 2017. One thing I've read about is the steering lock failure, remedied temporarily by removing a fuse!

All assistance gratefully received, but I guess the best thing is to post this question in the main 370Z specific area.

• Like 2

2020 SEAT Ateca FR Sport Black Edition / 2001 BMW E39 540i 4.4 V8 Sport / 2015 French C1 Thingy....

Hi Loadmaster and welcome to the OC

I see you are in Surrey!  We are too and generally we have about 4 meets at our house (when we aren’t fighting COVID) so hopefully you will be able to make one of those and have a good chat to fellow owners, the event includes a full English breakfast if you need encouragement 😂 

Is there a particular car you have seen yet or are you generally asking for now? The others will be along soon with some answers

Sarah :hello:

• Thanks 1

07765 406665
Infiniti FX 30d premium - loved it but now gone
QX70d S Design and owner and lovin' it - Alas, she has now gone too

350Z Chilli Red 2006, with full Do-Luck Kit and still looks as good as new!
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube

Hi Sarah, thanks for your welcome.

Yes, currently looking at a 2017 (67) 370Z Nismo in white which is for sale at £24,500 from at main dealer (non-Nissan). One owner, 16k miles with the first two services carried out. The the third will be done at point of sale and it has a new MOT. It's virtually mint, with the exception of a couple of minor stone chips on the lower front.

Abbey Motorsport in Oxted are within a reasonable distance from me which would be handy as I prefer to stay away from the main dealer franchise network for servicing and maintenance.

Will keep you updated on progress.

• Like 1

2020 SEAT Ateca FR Sport Black Edition / 2001 BMW E39 540i 4.4 V8 Sport / 2015 French C1 Thingy....

Welcome Loadmaster! Glad you found the club and you're looking at a great car by the sound of it. Have you got a test drive planned or already done so? 

What's your car history by the way - what's led you to the Z?

2011 Gunmetal Nissan GTR Premium Edition - Litchfield Stage 1, Miltek Y-Pipe, Alcon Discs, Ferodo DS2050 Pads, Flat bottomed steering wheel
2016 Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - APR Stage 1 tune with High Flow air filter and Secondary Decat Pipes - I'LL MISS THE POPS AND BANGS (BUT THE NEIGHBOURS WON'T)
2012 Pearl White 370Z GT Edition - Invidia Gemini catback exhaust with burnt titanium rolled tips, Stillen Gen 3 Intake Kit, UpRev, 15mm Eibach spacers, Satin Black painted bumpers - GONE TO A NEW OWNER WITHIN THE CLUB BUT WILL BE VERY FONDLY REMEMBERED.
2005 Gun Metal 350Z GT, Alezan Leather & plenty of mods - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

3 hours ago, Neutreus said:

Welcome Loadmaster! Glad you found the club and you're looking at a great car by the sound of it. Have you got a test drive planned or already done so? 

What's your car history by the way - what's led you to the Z?

Hi and thanks for the welcome. Not driven it yet but hoping to this weekend, restrictions allowing!

What led me to the Zed? Good question! I recently sold a BMW E39 540i (4.4 V8) and am looking for another weekend car/hobby interest to fill its space on the driveway. I've been looking at other BMWs, Mercs, Leon Cupras and the like, but a mate of mine suggested thinking a bit 'outside the box' and never having owned a two seater went in search of what's to be had. In all honesty, I've never liked small two seaters (MX5 size etc) but the Zeds are a different (bigger) kettle of fish and have rediscovered them thanks to Autotrader. I'm old enough to recall the 240Z of the 70s and always wanted one, but I went down the Ford route of 3.0 Capris for a few years.   

Anyway, when I saw the latest 370Z in Nismo form I was quite frankly blown away by its looks and rather retro simplicity, particularly in white. So, that's where I am now, although there are a couple of other cars in the running.

I will know more after the weekend.

• Like 1

Welcome!  The Family of Nismo's (2013 to 2020) are fairly similar, later cars had additional suspension changes and the very later models a new clutch type.  But generally apart from some interior items (such as sound enhancement) and body kit they are the same cars.  The later cars have the Ricardo seats and the first gen had a GT Seat in fabric.  The Nismo is stiffer than the GT, but I used mine for a daily around 6 years and have only just retired it to being the weekend car.  With a Juke taking the daily strain.

Issues - well in my 6 years (nearly 7).  The things to get used too, ride height - the car is low.  I had a clicking rear axle - which is a small click you get when you go into reverse at low speeds - but that problem existed on the 350z and carried over, its no big deal and my dealer sorted it for around £90 not had it since.  Had a new Battery a couple of years ago and that is it.  Just Fuel (a lot) and go.  There are many people on here who have had the cars (350z and 370z) for 15 years now and you generally do not hear about major issues.  I have had a 12 year spell with 350z and 370z.

Steering Lock failure often comes up in the winter months, I have been lucky, others haven't but again so far touch wood I have not seen this on too many newer cars.  The cars are a sledge hammer in a scalpel world - they are big mechanical cars, more akin to the old school TVRs.  But reliable, I have to say I had a BMW for about 3 years between the two Zeds and that still has the record for the most visits to a dealer of any car the Zed has been in 7 times in 6 years  (6 of these annual services) - even main dealer the costs for servicing are not that bad - and as a weekend car it will be once a year (none of this conditional servicing).  The dealers are also used to modified cars - they know to expect different filters and exhausts etc.

PaulS on here has a 240z and 370z so is well placed to compare and contrast the two cars.  But the 370z is literally the only car I plan to keep.  If you are used to a Capri you probably won't be disappointed - but its not numbed out like a Z4 or TT.  The electronics will keep you on the road and the grip (apart from snow) is impressive.    Plus the attention you get in a Zed - I have never owned a car which so many people come up and talk to you about, let you out of junction and generally admire - its a great car to own.  Hope you enjoy the test drive.  

• Like 1

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Current - 2020 (20) Juke Tekna Plus, Gun Metal Grey/Red Contrast, DCT Gearbox, Clever Little Commuter Car

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

1 hour ago, LESmo said:

Steering Lock failure often comes up in the winter months, I have been lucky, others haven't but again so far touch wood I have not seen this on too many newer cars. 

Good morning, thanks for that comprehensive reply. Can you tell me more about this steering lock issue - the cause and potential cost of the repair?

Another fault comes to mind that I've read about too - can't recall what it is now but the fix concerned going in to the clutch (or gearbox) housing and sounded a bit serious?

Apologies for these nerdy questions - I don't know these cars at all and tend to be overly cautious of any unfamiliar car that I buy!

You should ask Dave how many questions I asked when I was ordering the Nismo and I had owned a 350z - people on here will always be happy to answer any questions you have its really not an issue 🙂 Sorry this will be a bit of a ramble - feel free to switch off if you get bored 🙂 

The fix (to prevent it) is to pull the Steering Lock Fuse.  Some people I know have done it, I haven't and to be honest there are insurance questions around disabling one of the security components.  It seems to happen more in cold weather and the lock doesn't disengage leaving the car stuck - there are some videos online which show how to get the car moving (last hope) and then the fuse can be pulled.  I have never had it - but something tells me it used to be around £800 to fix - there are new kits which were cheaper and some people have managed to get good will from Nissan - especially if the car has always been serviced by a dealer.    Perhaps someone can come along and update the cost - as I say I have never had it happen so fortunately never had to pay it.

Clutch Master Cylinder?  Again never had that but I do know a couple of people who did.  The Clutch pedal as I understand it drops - and its a tow truck job, but again I have never had that happen thankfully and my car is sitting at around 45000 miles - what I have had is the clutch fluid changed twice in service  and I am going to do it again this service in February - on one of the first services water was found in the clutch fluid at a change and while I have nothing to say if that would be a contributing factor to failure - I think its a good idea to change it - I have no proof of this but you tend to see the issue more in the States I think, it may be less sympathy to manuals, the hotter conditions etc.   

I think the clicking axle issue is actually heat related as a contributing factor, as it has only done it on the wheel facing the sun when I park up and they are dark wheels on the Nismo v1 - I do wonder if the grease dry's out causing the click - but again I have no proof just an assumption.  Interesting if it happens on the other wheel now as the are is now parked up the opposite way around - if it does then I will have the proof of the cause.

Trunk release is another issue.  There are some fixes (which do not work on the V1 Nismo).  What I didn't realize is the V1 had a higher rate boot spring because of the Weight of the wing - there is a higher rate spring available for the V1 which would help if the V2 uses the lower rate springs like the GT and the Gas Struts I changed to Z1 Motorsports ones MHP - https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-products/z1-motorsports/z1-upgraded-370z-hatch-struts-p-6392.html

These are great - the Nissan ones really struggle.

Some say Fuel readings - but again mine is spot on - but as far as Fuel is concerned I have only run on Shell VPower since it was 14 miles old.  

Oil Temp - the 370z Nismo does have a Oil Cooler.  But if you are going to do track days - its worth upgrading as well as the brakes.  But I have never had an issue with my temperatures.  Even when doing track stuff.

Soft Paint is the other issue - if you have had BMW / Audi they have a very hard paint coat - French, Jap etc. tend to be soft - that mean scratching Storm While however hides a multitude of sins very well - its a great colour to own, doesn't necessarily reward as much as some colours when detailed - but in the sun it absolutely pops with the speckles.  Its also a great colour for the Nismo.  White is a fairly easy colour to own actually.  But be prepared to have to tend to the paintwork with sealants and love - but that's not such a bad thing.  Also oil the bonnet catches (that's been the case since the 350z).

Others I am sure will come along with other thoughts.  My view about cars is if you look after them they look after you.  I cannot help but feel the price difference in the US to the UK means that some of the cars are given much harder time by much younger drivers and the adverse temperatures also I am sure play a part.  There are other small things like when is freezing how you get into the car - but if its a toy that probably won't be an issue - but as a daily, I got used to it.  Something I am sure the merc drivers simply would not put up with, but to me its the character of the car - its not perfect, it doesn't try to be, but its got a character and personality, in the winter its grumpy and in the perfect air temperature its just perfect.

Also if its got the Stock Nismo Exhaust you may soon find it not as loud as you might want.  Then comes the fun of finding the perfect exhaust for it.  But I do miss the Nismo etched on the exhaust.  

• Thanks 1

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Current - 2020 (20) Juke Tekna Plus, Gun Metal Grey/Red Contrast, DCT Gearbox, Clever Little Commuter Car

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Not a ramble at all, very useful information. Thanks for taking the time to write it all up. 

• Like 1

My pleasure mate.  Hope you enjoy it when you come to try it.  Shame its not hotter and better weather but probably the best time to buy a sports car 😀

• Like 1

Hi Loadmaster and welcome to the OC - nice profile pic

Much of my advice on purchasing my Nismo came from LESmo, so nothing to add really, but i would push you to concentrate on the things you like/dislike, and not worry too much mechanically. All personal taste - i love my v1 wing, but prefer the v2 front (running lights) - the thing that swung me to an older v1 was the seats - after a test drive, my back preferred the non Recaros.

There's a member on here who went down the Capri route too...then went on to a 350Z & GTRs...not sure of any comparisons - Dad?! any comment?

Black Pearl 2010 (60) 370Z Auto GT Pack Connect Premium - 'Cool Dad'
EBC Ultimax (slotted) front discs and Ferodo DS2500 front pads
- auf wiedersehen pet
Storm White 2014 (64) 370Z Nismo #376 - the new 'Cool Dad'

18 hours ago, John_K said:

Hi Loadmaster and welcome to the OC - nice profile pic

Much of my advice on purchasing my Nismo came from LESmo, so nothing to add really, but i would push you to concentrate on the things you like/dislike, and not worry too much mechanically. All personal taste - i love my v1 wing, but prefer the v2 front (running lights) - the thing that swung me to an older v1 was the seats - after a test drive, my back preferred the non Recaros.

There's a member on here who went down the Capri route too...then went on to a 350Z & GTRs...not sure of any comparisons - Dad?! any comment?

Thanks for your input John, LESmo has been very helpful and I feel very confident in the car's reliability. As you have noted about likes and dislikes, no dislikes at all from me visually butI need to get in and drive one which will be tomorrow hopefully.

Just so you know, my reference to Capris was from my early driving days in the 80s, I've not owned one since that decade.  

Hi Loadmaster. Welcome to the OC.

You've had some great answers there so there's nothing I can add.

Enjoy :)

• Like 1

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Z* with a plethora of minor bespoke mods'

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

Well, Covid is currently delaying the purchase. I went over to the dealer again yesterday, but unlike the first time before Christmas when the car was moved into the open and I was left to explore it, their rules prevented even that and of course no test drives for the foreseeable future.

Some might say just buy the bloody thing, but I need to drive it first for a good 20 miles or so. Some brave soul in the meantime could of course just buy it online without even seeing it, but that's just a chance I'll have to take. 

So, the waiting game continues... 😬

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...