RJN Motorsport

370Z - Super Unleaded Only?

I read somewhere (not here) that super unleaded must be used in this car. Is that correct as to me, from what I've learnt, the V6 is a fairly old school?

2017 370Z Nismo / 2020 SEAT Ateca FR Black Edition / 2001 BMW E39 540i 4.4 V8 Sport / 2015 French C1 Thingy....

3 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

I read somewhere (not here) that super unleaded must be used in this car. Is that correct as to me, from what I've learnt, the V6 is a fairly old school?

Yes, 98 Ron (ie Super Unleaded)

but watch out, some garages ‘Super’ is only 97 Ron!...

I use Tesco’s, many use Shell.

• Like 2

Black Pearl 2010 (60) 370Z Auto GT Pack Connect Premium - 'Cool Dad'
EBC Ultimax (slotted) front discs and Ferodo DS2500 front pads
- auf wiedersehen pet
Storm White 2014 (64) 370Z Nismo #376 - the new 'Cool Dad'

The guidance in the user manual is that you may use 95 RON to top up in emergency, but that Super should be used day-to-day. Basically once you have topped up, you need to purge the tank of 95. There is clearer guidance in the book, but it's cold outside!

Super comes in 97-99 RON varieties - the manual advises 98, but availability will depend on where you are in the country.

• Like 1

Fred I - 350Z 2007 Gunmetal. 6 CD changer, full leather, reverse sensors. SOLD.
Fred II - 370Z GT 2011 Gunmetal. Premium connect. GT spec. Seriously un-modified. See-through windows, and a wheel at each corner. Sold 13 July 14. Gone.
Fred III - 2014 facelift 370GT. Magma red. Reversing sensors. Invidia Gemini CBE. Sold 2 April 2016.
Fred IV - 2016 Daytona Blue 370Z GT. Reversing sensors. K & N panel filters. Invidia Gemini CBE. Full front wrap - Ventureshield II.

11 minutes ago, Jeff-W said:

The guidance in the user manual is that you may use 95 RON to top up in emergency, but that Super should be used day-to-day. Basically once you have topped up, you need to purge the tank of 95. There is clearer guidance in the book, but it's cold outside!

Super comes in 97-99 RON varieties - the manual advises 98, but availability will depend on where you are in the country.

Must admit, I've only ever seen and used 98 RON. Does the use of 97 or 99 matter if needs must?

2017 370Z Nismo / 2020 SEAT Ateca FR Black Edition / 2001 BMW E39 540i 4.4 V8 Sport / 2015 French C1 Thingy....

8 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Must admit, I've only ever seen and used 98 RON. Does the use of 97 or 99 matter if needs must?

Certainly not detrimental to use 99. Never heard of any restrictions or problems using 97, although some members are more choosy on brand rather than absolute RON.

• Like 1

Fred I - 350Z 2007 Gunmetal. 6 CD changer, full leather, reverse sensors. SOLD.
Fred II - 370Z GT 2011 Gunmetal. Premium connect. GT spec. Seriously un-modified. See-through windows, and a wheel at each corner. Sold 13 July 14. Gone.
Fred III - 2014 facelift 370GT. Magma red. Reversing sensors. Invidia Gemini CBE. Sold 2 April 2016.
Fred IV - 2016 Daytona Blue 370Z GT. Reversing sensors. K & N panel filters. Invidia Gemini CBE. Full front wrap - Ventureshield II.

I got mine with the petty light on when I bought it. Good old Nissan Customer service lol!

Anyway, brimmed it with 95 only to realise 98 :o

Got down the ECP quick smart and bought a bottle of octane booster. Tesco Ultimatum since then.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am going to be hated - but I have a confession I pretty much only ran the 350z on Supermarket Unleaded for its entire life - never missed a beat but you could feel the difference when I ran it on VPower.

The Nismo I have only run on VPower all its life apart I think from perhaps two fills of the Tesco stuff.  But I can say I ran the 350z on unleaded.  (I expect my membership to be revoked). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Current - 2020 (20) Juke Tekna Plus, Gun Metal Grey/Red Contrast, DCT Gearbox, Clever Little Commuter Car

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

3 hours ago, LESmo said:

I am going to be hated - but I have a confession I pretty much only ran the 350z on Supermarket Unleaded for its entire life - never missed a beat but you could feel the difference when I ran it on VPower.

The Nismo I have only run on VPower all its life apart I think from perhaps two fills of the Tesco stuff.  But I can say I ran the 350z on unleaded.  (I expect my membership to be revoked). 

Spawn of the Devil! 👿

I looked at an 08 plate 350z roadster in London two summers ago. Nice looking car, until I asked the owner what petrol he used. I walked away immediately. I would never buy a 350/370 that has been run on standard unleaded. There must be a reason for the owner's manual telling you to only use 95ron if you absolutely have to. Someone will tell me I worry too much, but I don't care. It's better to err on the safe side.

If you're concerned that Super Unleaded is more expensive, I reckon you pretty much recoup the difference in improved fuel economy (anyway, that's what I used to tell the Mrs, until she stopped asking).

• Like 2

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

There was legislation introduced in 2003(?) that stated all new (petrol) cars sold in UK/EU must be capable of running on 95RON (without causing damage).

I don't know about the 370Z, but for the 350Z Nissan themselves said that running on 95RON would casue about a 5% drop in power and also an increase in fuel consumption compared to the recommended 98RON.

• Like 2

Yes, I am a miserable bugger. But that's your problem, not mine.

Z-Moon2.jpgAerialZneg-sig.jpgZ-SunsetCA.jpg

Anything I post may be complete b****ks. Especially after whisky consumption. Don't say I didn't warn you.

I recall being in France on one of the Run2 events in my 370 and in the middle of nowhere being on fumes, the only fuel the garage had was 95. I absolutely felt the difference in power, it just felt sluggish - that's probably the best way to describe it. 

On a brighter note, on the same tour, we found a grage selling 101 RON - oh boy is that good stuff :D

The 370Z other than that event always was run on 98/99 RON.

2011 Gunmetal Nissan GTR Premium Edition - Litchfield Stage 1, Miltek Y-Pipe, Alcon Discs, Ferodo DS2050 Pads, Flat bottomed steering wheel
2016 Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - APR Stage 1 tune with High Flow air filter and Secondary Decat Pipes - I'LL MISS THE POPS AND BANGS (BUT THE NEIGHBOURS WON'T)
2012 Pearl White 370Z GT Edition - Invidia Gemini catback exhaust with burnt titanium rolled tips, Stillen Gen 3 Intake Kit, UpRev, 15mm Eibach spacers, Satin Black painted bumpers - GONE TO A NEW OWNER WITHIN THE CLUB BUT WILL BE VERY FONDLY REMEMBERED.
2005 Gun Metal 350Z GT, Alezan Leather & plenty of mods - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

When I first joined I asked a very similar question and I was soon put on the right track by these guys, now I only use either Tesco Ultimatum or Shell V-Power and always fill up before a long journey and plan a route that will take me past a Tesco or Shell garage.  

On 1/17/2021 at 1:57 PM, Neutreus said:

I recall being in France on one of the Run2 events in my 370 and in the middle of nowhere being on fumes, the only fuel the garage had was 95. I absolutely felt the difference in power, it just felt sluggish - that's probably the best way to describe it. 

On a brighter note, on the same tour, we found a grage selling 101 RON - oh boy is that good stuff :D

The 370Z other than that event always was run on 98/99 RON.

It was probably down to crap French fuel rather than the RON rating 😂

101 RON, that like the old 5 star leaded petrol 😁

• Like 1

Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev remap

I've not seen an owner's manual yet for the 370Z but I assume that it says 98 RON.

It does on all, but I don't think the performance is hit very much with 1 Ron on a none mapped car.

I think on the mapped cars you get 3 maps for 98+, 95 and then valet.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Current - 2009 GTR Premium, Stage 2
Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

Was there a way of turning a cable to select 95 on the 350z or was that the Type R?  Something in my mind says there used to be a way of telling the car it was running on non Super Unleaded.  Or have I just made all that up?

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Current - 2020 (20) Juke Tekna Plus, Gun Metal Grey/Red Contrast, DCT Gearbox, Clever Little Commuter Car

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

The ecu detects the knocking and tunes it out, hence the reduced performance. Same on GT-R.

• Like 2

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - "Muttley" (it was the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - "The Expensive Mistress"
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - "Dumbo"
Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R MY11 with Recaros - "The General"
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - "Dastardly"
[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]