Adrian Flux

What have you done for your 370z today? (3)

1 hour ago, Chubbs said:

To redress the balance slightly Gav, you'll be delighted to hear that I'm waiting for the weather to warm up slightly, so I can remove my sexy side markers and spray them GunMetal :) You've inspired me!

I'm planning just one difference from your method - I found a can of Hycote Adhesion Aid in the garage, so I plan to spray that as the first coat. Masking off those Zs will be fun (I enjoy fartarsing around with things like that).

Interestingly, I discovered that Glyn Hopkins St Albans don't sell rattle cans of the genuine Nissan paint anymore, but Halfords do one called Nissan Gun Metal. I dare say it will be just as poor a match as the Nissan one used to be.

Halfords do a grey etching primer which is what I used, where I went wrong was testing out the pearlescent paint and hen over spraying with the white primer and it reacted, which I didn`t expect as they supposed to be compatible but only with the primer first as it happens.

You`ll have loads of fun with the masking due to the shape of the Z and the lens, it`s hard to find the definitive line  between the two as they`re both a black glossy finish, the plus side is that it won`t show up as much as the white if it isn`t quite right.

I used Tamiya masking tape which is designed to curve which you need to follow the shape of the lens.

Have fun, I`m looking forward to your posts 👍

• Haha 1

Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev remap

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I finally found some time to give the Z (and Juke) a little TLC.  To my shame, this is the first proper clean and vacuum they've had this year.  The Z looked very unloved. The final r

Today I continued to put together a small 'refresh' package for mine, which will happen during May when it's hopefully warmer and I can spend a whole blokey day doing stuff to the car. It's only bits

Not what I've done for my Zed but more what it has done for me... 3 year anniversary today!!! Loved every year, month, day, hour, minute and second. Did I mention that I like it...?  Here's to ma

Posted Images

On 3/17/2021 at 10:18 AM, Gav C said:

Lenses popped off the LED side repeaters and sanded down ready for intricate masking of the Z

PXL_20210316_173205163.jpg

You have a PM.

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

I take it you got them off ok?

• Haha 1

Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev remap

Today I continued to put together a small 'refresh' package for mine, which will happen during May when it's hopefully warmer and I can spend a whole blokey day doing stuff to the car. It's only bits and bobs, plus some professional input for two tasks:

* Application of a heavy tint to the rear window - Tint Shack, Horley, Surrey (visited today)

* Roof wrapped in either gloss or matt black - Blue Lizard Signs, Gatwick, West Sussex (visited today)

* A proper paint decontamination and detail, plus wheels off and cleaned

* Touch in of a few minor stone chips to the front end - paint kit from Nissan arrived

* New number plates  (can't stand plates with the dealer's name, as is the case now). I was going to transfer one of my retained plates, or even the one off our Ateca, MD11 FLY which would have looked good, but decided to keep it on the original 67 plate - arrived today in the post from my favoured number plate maker from the BMW club

* "Z Burger" badges to replace the Nissan ones - arrived on the weekend

* A small package of tech upgrades by Abbey, but that will be later in the year

• Like 6

2017 370Z Nismo / 2020 SEAT Ateca FR Black Edition / 2001 BMW E39 540i 4.4 V8 Sport / 2015 French C1 Thingy....

12 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

Today I continued to put together a small 'refresh' package for mine, which will happen during May when it's hopefully warmer and I can spend a whole blokey day doing stuff to the car. It's only bits and bobs, plus some professional input for two tasks:

* Application of a heavy tint to the rear window - Tint Shack, Horley, Surrey (visited today)

* Roof wrapped in either gloss or matt black - Blue Lizard Signs, Gatwick, West Sussex (visited today)

* A proper paint decontamination and detail, plus wheels off and cleaned

* Touch in of a few minor stone chips to the front end - paint kit from Nissan arrived

* New number plates  (can't stand plates with the dealer's name, as is the case now). I was going to transfer one of my retained plates, or even the one off our Ateca, MD11 FLY which would have looked good, but decided to keep it on the original 67 plate - arrived today in the post from my favoured number plate maker from the BMW club

* "Z Burger" badges to replace the Nissan ones - arrived on the weekend

* A small package of tech upgrades by Abbey, but that will be later in the year

Nice! I like a black roof! Decided to remove my latest one after 4 years, because I'd been waxing it - didn't realise until recently that 3M specifically say don't wax it - and it was starting to look the worse for wear. I tend to do the wrapping myself, but you need good quality vinyl, a garage, an assistant and a lot of patience!

Here's the removal thread - CLICK HERE

• Like 1

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

2 hours ago, Chubbs said:

Nice! I like a black roof! Decided to remove my latest one after 4 years, because I'd been waxing it - didn't realise until recently that 3M specifically say don't wax it - and it was starting to look the worse for wear. I tend to do the wrapping myself, but you need good quality vinyl, a garage, an assistant and a lot of patience!

Here's the removal thread - CLICK HERE

Well, I say black but yesterday evening I had another alternative colour pop into my head as suitable - red!

Not a bright red, but one closely matching the red Nismo exterior trim, a sort of dark red, whatever it might be called. Blue Lizard had a few swatches for shades of red, so I'm taking the car back to them next week to see if we can find a good match.

But at the end of the day, without seeing a mock up, I'd have to be sure that a red roof wouldn't be a step too far. I don't think it would, just need to make the decision!   

• Like 1

2017 370Z Nismo / 2020 SEAT Ateca FR Black Edition / 2001 BMW E39 540i 4.4 V8 Sport / 2015 French C1 Thingy....

1 hour ago, Loadmaster said:

Well, I say black but yesterday evening I had another alternative colour pop into my head as suitable - red!

Not a bright red, but one closely matching the red Nismo exterior trim, a sort of dark red, whatever it might be called. Blue Lizard had a few swatches for shades of red, so I'm taking the car back to them next week to see if we can find a good match.

But at the end of the day, without seeing a mock up, I'd have to be sure that a red roof wouldn't be a step too far. I don't think it would, just need to make the decision!   

Now THAT would be rare - I'd say unique, but you know what these Americans are like.

Edit - done a quick google images search and I can't find one, so...

Edited by Chubbs

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

6 hours ago, Chubbs said:

Now THAT would be rare - I'd say unique, but you know what these Americans are like.

Edit - done a quick google images search and I can't find one, so...

The more I think about it, the more I'm seeing red....

• Like 1

It's gonna be red.... 😜

• Like 3

Today, I changed the plugs on mine, at 32,000 miles I know it’s maybe a bit premature at that mileage, but I discovered you don’t have to disconnect the throttle bodies at all, just the 4 Allen screws, which according to the Nissan manual you should unscrew and screw in using a cross pattern which I did, I found I had plenty room by simply moving them without unplugging them or disconnecting the coolant pipes, just had to move a couple of breather pipes and i unbolted the fuel damper and carefully swivelled it round to let me into plug 1. I also found the plenum side of the throttle bodies had some oily carbon on them too, so I cleaned that as well. I just changed the plugs for peace of mind, but having said that, I found some of them were at their service limit, and some were fine and could’ve lasted a good while yet. Just got the oil and the serpentine belt to do now as it is showing at the end of the condition marker on the tensioner and it’s badly discoloured, but it is the 11 year old original. 

Edited by Joe370Z
  • Like 4
14 hours ago, Joe370Z said:

Today, I changed the plugs on mine, at 32,000 miles I know it’s maybe a bit premature at that mileage, but I discovered you don’t have to disconnect the throttle bodies at all, just the 4 Allen screws, which according to the Nissan manual you should unscrew and screw in using a cross pattern which I did, I found I had plenty room by simply moving them without unplugging them or disconnecting the coolant pipes, just had to move a couple of breather pipes and i unbolted the fuel damper and carefully swivelled it round to let me into plug 1. I also found the plenum side of the throttle bodies had some oily carbon on them too, so I cleaned that as well. I just changed the plugs for peace of mind, but having said that, I found some of them were at their service limit, and some were fine and could’ve lasted a good while yet. Just got the oil and the serpentine belt to do now as it is showing at the end of the condition marker on the tensioner and it’s badly discoloured, but it is the 11 year old original. 

Excellent information there mate - Thanks.

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

On 4/14/2021 at 8:32 PM, Loadmaster said:

It's gonna be red.... 😜

I'm looking forward to seeing that!

Can you find a close match the the NISMO red or might you wrap those bits to match the roof?

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Z* with a plethora of minor bespoke mods'

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

3 hours ago, Paul_S said:

I'm looking forward to seeing that!

Can you find a close match the the NISMO red or might you wrap those bits to match the roof?

As long as I can hold my nerve and not revert back to the safe option of satin black! To be honest, black would look great and I'd be very happy with that, but I think to gamble red might pay off. I don't really want to have to wrap other parts just to match the roof either.

I'm taking the car to Blue Lizard on Monday to review their red swatch options against it, so will decide after that.

• Like 2

Update:

Popped into Blue Lizard near Gatwick again today (after my rear window tint) to look at their red swatches to see if anything came close to 'Nismo Red' for the roof.

I think they smashed it - no excuses now!

20210419_163617_HDR-1.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

Update:

Popped into Blue Lizard near Gatwick again today (after my rear window tint) to look at their red swatches to see if anything came close to 'Nismo Red' for the roof.

I think they smashed it - no excuses now!

20210419_163617_HDR-1.jpg

Goodness! That's an incredibly good match! Go for it - I think it will look superb. Dare I ask what they charge?

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

4 hours ago, Chubbs said:

Goodness! That's an incredibly good match! Go for it - I think it will look superb. Dare I ask what they charge?

Yeah, I couldn't believe how close it was!

Waiting for the written quote by email, but it will be in the ball park of £200. Having never had any wrapping done before I have no idea if that's a competitive price or not, but I'm sure it's pretty resonable considering it can cost in the region of £2k for a whole car.

However, it might be worth me contacting another place that does it, just to compare. If you saw my tinted window post, Tint Shack did that for £80 - I previously approached another local company who quoted £150! Even I thought that was far too much for a relatively small job, therefore went to Tint Shack. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chubbs said:

Dare I ask what they charge?

Just received their email - £220 PLUS the VAT!! :scare:

Yep, a great match.  Do it!

Or, to save some cash, take a note of the Avery swatch and buy some to fit yourself with Chubbs' help ;)

• Haha 1

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Z* with a plethora of minor bespoke mods'

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

44 minutes ago, Paul_S said:

Yep, a great match.  Do it!

Or, to save some cash, take a note of the Avery swatch and buy some to fit yourself with Chubbs' help ;)

Excellent idea. I charge £75 an hour, plus expenses. It'll take all day :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

11 hours ago, Chubbs said:

Excellent idea. I charge £75 an hour, plus expenses. It'll take all day :)

Well, £75 sounds reasonable compared to another place I called yesterday, who quoted £300 for the job.

Two hours labour at £100 an hour, plus £100 in materials. Honestly, what a pi** take. Then, two further quotes for £150 and both places had very good reviews. I'll be going to one of those.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

Well, £75 sounds reasonable compared to another place I called yesterday, who quoted £300 for the job.

Two hours labour at £100 an hour, plus £100 in materials. Honestly, what a pi** take. Then, two further quotes for £150 and both places had very good reviews. I'll be going to one of those.

£150 sounds like a good price, to me. It's hard to get it perfect, even on a simple surface like your roof.

The reason I do it myself is so that I'm an unreasonable fusspot. If there are any little errors I know it's my own stupid fault and I just have to live with it.

• Like 2

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B