Jump to content
Advertise Here

What have you done for your 370z today? (3)


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Chubbs said:

To redress the balance slightly Gav, you'll be delighted to hear that I'm waiting for the weather to warm up slightly, so I can remove my sexy side markers and spray them GunMetal :) You've inspired me!

I'm planning just one difference from your method - I found a can of Hycote Adhesion Aid in the garage, so I plan to spray that as the first coat. Masking off those Zs will be fun (I enjoy fartarsing around with things like that).

Interestingly, I discovered that Glyn Hopkins St Albans don't sell rattle cans of the genuine Nissan paint anymore, but Halfords do one called Nissan Gun Metal. I dare say it will be just as poor a match as the Nissan one used to be.

Halfords do a grey etching primer which is what I used, where I went wrong was testing out the pearlescent paint and hen over spraying with the white primer and it reacted, which I didn`t expect as they supposed to be compatible but only with the primer first as it happens.

You`ll have loads of fun with the masking due to the shape of the Z and the lens, it`s hard to find the definitive line  between the two as they`re both a black glossy finish, the plus side is that it won`t show up as much as the white if it isn`t quite right.

I used Tamiya masking tape which is designed to curve which you need to follow the shape of the lens.

 

Have fun, I`m looking forward to your posts 👍

  • Haha 1

Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev remap

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I finally found some time to give the Z (and Juke) a little TLC.  To my shame, this is the first proper clean and vacuum they've had this year.  The Z looked very unloved. The final r

Today I continued to put together a small 'refresh' package for mine, which will happen during May when it's hopefully warmer and I can spend a whole blokey day doing stuff to the car. It's only bits

Not what I've done for my Zed but more what it has done for me... 3 year anniversary today!!! Loved every year, month, day, hour, minute and second. Did I mention that I like it...?  Here's to ma

Posted Images

Today I continued to put together a small 'refresh' package for mine, which will happen during May when it's hopefully warmer and I can spend a whole blokey day doing stuff to the car. It's only bits and bobs, plus some professional input for two tasks:

* Application of a heavy tint to the rear window - Tint Shack, Horley, Surrey (visited today)

* Roof wrapped in either gloss or matt black - Blue Lizard Signs, Gatwick, West Sussex (visited today)

* A proper paint decontamination and detail, plus wheels off and cleaned

* Touch in of a few minor stone chips to the front end - paint kit from Nissan arrived

* New number plates  (can't stand plates with the dealer's name, as is the case now). I was going to transfer one of my retained plates, or even the one off our Ateca, MD11 FLY which would have looked good, but decided to keep it on the original 67 plate - arrived today in the post from my favoured number plate maker from the BMW club

* "Z Burger" badges to replace the Nissan ones - arrived on the weekend

* A small package of tech upgrades by Abbey, but that will be later in the year

 

 

  • Like 6

2017 370Z Nismo / 2020 SEAT Ateca FR Black Edition / 2001 BMW E39 540i 4.4 V8 Sport / 2015 French C1 Thingy....

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

Today I continued to put together a small 'refresh' package for mine, which will happen during May when it's hopefully warmer and I can spend a whole blokey day doing stuff to the car. It's only bits and bobs, plus some professional input for two tasks:

* Application of a heavy tint to the rear window - Tint Shack, Horley, Surrey (visited today)

* Roof wrapped in either gloss or matt black - Blue Lizard Signs, Gatwick, West Sussex (visited today)

* A proper paint decontamination and detail, plus wheels off and cleaned

* Touch in of a few minor stone chips to the front end - paint kit from Nissan arrived

* New number plates  (can't stand plates with the dealer's name, as is the case now). I was going to transfer one of my retained plates, or even the one off our Ateca, MD11 FLY which would have looked good, but decided to keep it on the original 67 plate - arrived today in the post from my favoured number plate maker from the BMW club

* "Z Burger" badges to replace the Nissan ones - arrived on the weekend

* A small package of tech upgrades by Abbey, but that will be later in the year

 

 

Nice! I like a black roof! Decided to remove my latest one after 4 years, because I'd been waxing it - didn't realise until recently that 3M specifically say don't wax it - and it was starting to look the worse for wear. I tend to do the wrapping myself, but you need good quality vinyl, a garage, an assistant and a lot of patience!

Here's the removal thread - CLICK HERE

  • Like 1

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chubbs said:

Nice! I like a black roof! Decided to remove my latest one after 4 years, because I'd been waxing it - didn't realise until recently that 3M specifically say don't wax it - and it was starting to look the worse for wear. I tend to do the wrapping myself, but you need good quality vinyl, a garage, an assistant and a lot of patience!

Here's the removal thread - CLICK HERE

Well, I say black but yesterday evening I had another alternative colour pop into my head as suitable - red!

Not a bright red, but one closely matching the red Nismo exterior trim, a sort of dark red, whatever it might be called. Blue Lizard had a few swatches for shades of red, so I'm taking the car back to them next week to see if we can find a good match.

But at the end of the day, without seeing a mock up, I'd have to be sure that a red roof wouldn't be a step too far. I don't think it would, just need to make the decision!   

  • Like 1

2017 370Z Nismo / 2020 SEAT Ateca FR Black Edition / 2001 BMW E39 540i 4.4 V8 Sport / 2015 French C1 Thingy....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Loadmaster said:

Well, I say black but yesterday evening I had another alternative colour pop into my head as suitable - red!

Not a bright red, but one closely matching the red Nismo exterior trim, a sort of dark red, whatever it might be called. Blue Lizard had a few swatches for shades of red, so I'm taking the car back to them next week to see if we can find a good match.

But at the end of the day, without seeing a mock up, I'd have to be sure that a red roof wouldn't be a step too far. I don't think it would, just need to make the decision!   

Now THAT would be rare - I'd say unique, but you know what these Americans are like.

 

Edit - done a quick google images search and I can't find one, so...

Edited by Chubbs

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chubbs said:

Now THAT would be rare - I'd say unique, but you know what these Americans are like.

 

Edit - done a quick google images search and I can't find one, so...

The more I think about it, the more I'm seeing red....

  • Like 1

2017 370Z Nismo / 2020 SEAT Ateca FR Black Edition / 2001 BMW E39 540i 4.4 V8 Sport / 2015 French C1 Thingy....

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's gonna be red.... 😜

  • Like 3

2017 370Z Nismo / 2020 SEAT Ateca FR Black Edition / 2001 BMW E39 540i 4.4 V8 Sport / 2015 French C1 Thingy....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Today, I changed the plugs on mine, at 32,000 miles I know it’s maybe a bit premature at that mileage, but I discovered you don’t have to disconnect the throttle bodies at all, just the 4 Allen screws, which according to the Nissan manual you should unscrew and screw in using a cross pattern which I did, I found I had plenty room by simply moving them without unplugging them or disconnecting the coolant pipes, just had to move a couple of breather pipes and i unbolted the fuel damper and carefully swivelled it round to let me into plug 1. I also found the plenum side of the throttle bodies had some oily carbon on them too, so I cleaned that as well. I just changed the plugs for peace of mind, but having said that, I found some of them were at their service limit, and some were fine and could’ve lasted a good while yet. Just got the oil and the serpentine belt to do now as it is showing at the end of the condition marker on the tensioner and it’s badly discoloured, but it is the 11 year old original. 

Edited by Joe370Z
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Joe370Z said:

Today, I changed the plugs on mine, at 32,000 miles I know it’s maybe a bit premature at that mileage, but I discovered you don’t have to disconnect the throttle bodies at all, just the 4 Allen screws, which according to the Nissan manual you should unscrew and screw in using a cross pattern which I did, I found I had plenty room by simply moving them without unplugging them or disconnecting the coolant pipes, just had to move a couple of breather pipes and i unbolted the fuel damper and carefully swivelled it round to let me into plug 1. I also found the plenum side of the throttle bodies had some oily carbon on them too, so I cleaned that as well. I just changed the plugs for peace of mind, but having said that, I found some of them were at their service limit, and some were fine and could’ve lasted a good while yet. Just got the oil and the serpentine belt to do now as it is showing at the end of the condition marker on the tensioner and it’s badly discoloured, but it is the 11 year old original. 

Excellent information there mate - Thanks.

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2021 at 8:32 PM, Loadmaster said:

It's gonna be red.... 😜

I'm looking forward to seeing that!

Can you find a close match the the NISMO red or might you wrap those bits to match the roof?

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Z* with a plethora of minor bespoke mods'

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

 

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paul_S said:

I'm looking forward to seeing that!

Can you find a close match the the NISMO red or might you wrap those bits to match the roof?

As long as I can hold my nerve and not revert back to the safe option of satin black! To be honest, black would look great and I'd be very happy with that, but I think to gamble red might pay off. I don't really want to have to wrap other parts just to match the roof either.

I'm taking the car to Blue Lizard on Monday to review their red swatch options against it, so will decide after that.

  • Like 2

2017 370Z Nismo / 2020 SEAT Ateca FR Black Edition / 2001 BMW E39 540i 4.4 V8 Sport / 2015 French C1 Thingy....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...