So what would you suggest .....

my son, Dan, 21 and has a plug in black box in his car.  His work causes him to have an odd work pattern, that teamed with COVID lock down, means his car can be sat for three days without being moved.  His insurance company have now cancelled his insurance three times, once without telling him. Their reason is that if his isn’t used for 72 hours they have the right to cancel the policy.  Each time he contacts them and explains they agree to reinstate it but my concern is that he could drive one day and either be pulled by the police or worse still, have an accident and the insurance have been cancelled.  What should he do? I said he should put it in writing to them and make them acknowledge this is ok. But what are your thoughts please. 

• Confused 1

07765 406665
Infiniti FX 30d premium - loved it but now gone
QX70d S Design and owner and lovin' it - Alas, she has now gone too

350Z Chilli Red 2006, with full Do-Luck Kit and still looks as good as new!
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube

The 72 hours clause is untenable (in case of the inadvertent driving without insurance). If it is the fine print of the policy then they won’t change it. No other solution but to change company. 

Regret harsh answer, but risks are too great.

• Like 1

Fred I - 350Z 2007 Gunmetal. 6 CD changer, full leather, reverse sensors. SOLD.
Fred II - 370Z GT 2011 Gunmetal. Premium connect. GT spec. Seriously un-modified. See-through windows, and a wheel at each corner. Sold 13 July 14. Gone.
Fred III - 2014 facelift 370GT. Magma red. Reversing sensors. Invidia Gemini CBE. Sold 2 April 2016.
Fred IV - 2016 Daytona Blue 370Z GT. Reversing sensors. K & N panel filters. Invidia Gemini CBE. Full front wrap - Ventureshield II.

I’m sure consumer programmes ie Watchdog, would be as interested as I am in knowing the insurers name!

• Like 1

Black Pearl 2010 (60) 370Z Auto GT Pack Connect Premium - 'Cool Dad'
EBC Ultimax (slotted) front discs and Ferodo DS2500 front pads
- auf wiedersehen pet
Storm White 2014 (64) 370Z Nismo #376 - the new 'Cool Dad'

Yes actually John that’s a good idea.  It’s Churchill who I have used in the past and had a claim through and they were brilliant with that, but this is a joke! They have his number they could contact him by phone and request pictures of his mileage which would tally and confirm the black box movements. I’m not impressed. On one occasion they never sent a letter out for two weeks! He was uninsured for some time before he was notified and contacted them

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

07765 406665

We use Tesco Boxin, no issues if the car isn't used and a really useful app that lets us know how they are driving, love a bit of snooping on the kids movements :lol:

• Haha 1

gallery_245_423_13930.png

That's utter madness - what if you are on Holiday - do you have to contact them and let them know?  So you have to go out and drive just to keep the insurers happy - surely that increases the risk? 

How far off is Dan from getting rid of this type of policy.  Although I have an app with Admiral - its up to me if I use it and it only offers a additional discount.  That has to be registered against one of the two cars so is against the Juke.  

• Like 1

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Current - 2020 (20) Juke Tekna Plus, Gun Metal Grey/Red Contrast, DCT Gearbox, Clever Little Commuter Car

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

I know this may seem a pain, but I think if you start the engine within the 72 hours you're okay, its more about the signal "being lost"? 

Nissan 370z "Zoe" Roadster "1 FHL" - Porsche "Maddie" Macan 3.0dS - MIni "Tommy" Coupe JCW "2 FHL"

1 hour ago, LESmo said:

That's utter madness - what if you are on Holiday - do you have to contact them and let them know?  

You'd be surprised how many require this. 

Nissan 370z "Zoe" Roadster "1 FHL" - Porsche "Maddie" Macan 3.0dS - MIni "Tommy" Coupe JCW "2 FHL"

He is due renewal in May.  He’s had Tesco black box before (great snooping tool for mum and dad) sadly they came in at £3k this year compared to everyone else who was around £800. 

07765 406665