Horsham Developments

Why This Beeping Sound When I Switch Engine Off?

Basically, when I switch (push) the engine to 'off', as I open the door I get rapid groups of four 'beeps' sounding until I'm out and the car's locked.

There's no warning indications that I can see on the dash and I've looked in the handbook, but I can't see it mentioned anywhere.

2017 370Z Nismo / 2020 SEAT Ateca FR Black Edition / 2001 BMW E39 540i 4.4 V8 Sport / 2015 French C1 Thingy....

What colour socks do you wear? Those Nismos can be very fussy.

My first thought was, 'are you leaving the car in gear'? I get 4 beeps if I fail to put my selector into 'park', but that's an automatic. I also thought you should get some information on the dash, but you're saying there isn't any.

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

Headlights left on? I think the sidelights will stay on after ignition off but the main lights will still turn off when you turn the ignition off but the car still warns you for both. If it is this, set to Auto or off and see if the beeps go away. 

may sound a silly question, but go with it - where is the key when the beeping sounds?

• Like 1

Black Pearl 2010 (60) 370Z Auto GT Pack Connect Premium - 'Cool Dad'
EBC Ultimax (slotted) front discs and Ferodo DS2500 front pads
- auf wiedersehen pet
Storm White 2014 (64) 370Z Nismo #376 - the new 'Cool Dad'

1 hour ago, Chubbs said:

What colour socks do you wear? Those Nismos can be very fussy.

My first thought was, 'are you leaving the car in gear'? I get 4 beeps if I fail to put my selector into 'park', but that's an automatic. I also thought you should get some information on the dash, but you're saying there isn't any.

Nope, none of that...

2017 370Z Nismo / 2020 SEAT Ateca FR Black Edition / 2001 BMW E39 540i 4.4 V8 Sport / 2015 French C1 Thingy....

40 minutes ago, Dave G said:

Headlights left on? I think the sidelights will stay on after ignition off but the main lights will still turn off when you turn the ignition off but the car still warns you for both. If it is this, set to Auto or off and see if the beeps go away. 

Currently running around with lights 'off', so just the DRLs illuminated.

39 minutes ago, John_K said:

may sound a silly question, but go with it - where is the key when the beeping sounds?

When I push the button to stop the engine, the key fob is usually in the cup holder next to me. The beeping continues when I get hold of it and get out of the car and then lock it. 

I'm at Abbey Motorsport this Saturday to have some dodgy 'aftermarket wiring' on the dodgy 'aftermarket rear fog/stop/reverse light' sorted out.

I'll see what they think the beeping's all about.

10 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

When I push the button to stop the engine, the key fob is usually in the cup holder next to me. The beeping continues when I get hold of it and get out of the car and then lock it. 

hmmm, i think i've experienced a similar beeping, but in the past i've put it down to the key being in my pocket, and me inadvertently trying to lock the car with the door open. I need to move mine in the morning, i'll try and replicate. 

• Like 1

- auf wiedersehen pet

7 minutes ago, John_K said:

hmmm, i think i've experienced a similar beeping, but in the past i've put it down to the key being in my pocket, and me inadvertently trying to lock the car with the door open. I need to move mine in the morning, i'll try and replicate. 

Okay John, thanks. But I guess if the scenario isn't known to you just by stopping the engine, nothing more, then you've not encountered it. I'll pay attention to whether it's with door open or shut next time, when I push for stop.

Double check that nothing's coming up on the dashboard display - it doesn't stay up for long.

• Like 1

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

19 minutes ago, Chubbs said:

Double check that nothing's coming up on the dashboard display - it doesn't stay up for long.

Nope, nothing on dashboard. 

Not using the car now until Saturday, but I think that it happens when I open the door first when engine's running, then I push the stop button, then it beeps until locked.

Funny how you can't actually remember the sequence of events when you think about it!

15 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Nope, nothing on dashboard. 

Not using the car now until Saturday, but I think that it happens when I open the door first when engine's running, then I push the stop button, then it beeps until locked.

Funny how you can't actually remember the sequence of events when you think about it!

That will be a beep to tell you the door's not shut? Mystery solved?

Edit: There should be an associated warning icon or message on the dashboard.

Edited by Chubbs

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

35 minutes ago, Chubbs said:

That will be a beep to tell you the door's not shut? Mystery solved?

Edit: There should be an associated warning icon or message on the dashboard.

Hmmm, get your point of course but not so sure. Even if I fling the door open with the engine running, then I push 'stop', then I clamber out, it's still beeping until I shut the door and lock it. And I'm not seeing any warnings of any sort.

I'll reaffirm what's happening when  I use the car on the weekend.

I agree with Chubbs. Opening drivers door with engine running triggers a beep on many cars and doesnt stop with engine off, only when door shut.

• Like 2

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - "Muttley" (it was the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - "The Expensive Mistress"
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - "Dumbo"
Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R MY11 with Recaros - "The General"
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - "Dastardly"
[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]

6 minutes ago, JohnFK said:

I agree with Chubbs. Opening drivers door with engine running triggers a beep on many cars and doesnt stop with engine off, only when door shut.

We definitely need an 'agree' button!!

• Like 2

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

35 minutes ago, JohnFK said:

Too true! On our Ateca, the car won't even let you open door slightly if reversing - it activates the brakes, starts beeping and this big boxing glove activates from the dashboard and punches you in the face! 

On all my cars the Boxing Glove usually comes from the passenger side...

• Haha 1

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - "Muttley" (it was the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - "The Expensive Mistress"

I also agree with the above comments, it will beep if the door is opened while the engine is running and it will also do it if close the door with the fob still in the car.

Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev remap

Thanks for all your comments and opinions - I'll feel a bit daft (but relieved!) if it is purely down to the door being opened when the engine's running.

However, in my defense (!), I'm certain that it hasn't always done that in those circumstances which is why it's got me puzzled! 🤨

As you get used to the car clearly you are gaining confidence. But be careful, bailing out because of your own driving is a bit worrying 😄 

• Haha 1

I've been out to mine and experimented...and think i can replicate...

If i open the door, then switch the engine off, i get a series of 4 rapid beeps, continuously, until i shut the door.

This does not happen if i open and shut the door with the engine running, nor if i turn the engine off before opening the door!

• Like 1

- auf wiedersehen pet

43 minutes ago, John_K said:

I've been out to mine and experimented...and think i can replicate...

If i open the door, then switch the engine off, i get a series of 4 rapid beeps, continuously, until i shut the door.

This does not happen if i open and shut the door with the engine running, nor if i turn the engine off before opening the door!

Nice one John, thanks! I recently changed the position that I reverse into on our driveway. Because of this I open the door to have a quick peep to make sure I'm not too near to the grass, engine still running, then turn engine off without having, nor needing, to shut the door again.

I was confident that it wasn't a tech issue, just couldn't put 2 and 2 together to make 4!

Cheers, case closed!  👍

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Nice one John, thanks! I recently changed the position that I reverse into on our driveway. Because of this I open the door to have a quick peep to make sure I'm not too near to the grass, engine still running, then turn engine off without having, nor needing, to shut the door again.

I was confident that it wasn't a tech issue, just couldn't put 2 and 2 together to make 4!

Cheers, case closed!  👍

So it wasn't the socks this time.

1.jpg.d69e3650205ad0a6e4e167bf4aa6c554.jpg

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B