Abbey Motorsport

Not been around much this year I know.  It started off well, but mid January I came down with something (nothing Major) but it dragged me down to the level I had not been for a long time.  In short Work decided I needed time off, I ended up taking 3 weeks off, I also changed my lifestyle a lot and while I will never be a small chap I definitely have lost weight.  

I returned back to work having had the time off and have felt much better, I have also reduced my hours I work a lot more than 9-5 but about 5 less a day (I am also eating cereal in the morning), and with our continued plans to move out of the county to Norfolk in the coming future, we have continued to be working on the house to get that ready, wasn't helped that we had a hot water pipe burst and have to repair the ceiling, but these things happen in life - Good Friday was spent patching up the ceiling, in the next week or so we will get that skimmed.

Haven't really done much if anything with the Zed this year, got the stripes replaced which had warn out, and its probably done about 100 miles this year including going for its MOT/Service in February.  Really looking forward to events starting again I do miss those.

Football hasn't been happening, and so like most this winter has been a bit of a drag.  But I am sure we are at the end of it or close to it.  We have both had our first Jab - so that feels like the beginning of the end of it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Current - 2020 (20) Juke Tekna Plus, Gun Metal Grey/Red Contrast, DCT Gearbox, Clever Little Commuter Car

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Sorry to hear about this Les but we all need breaks from time to time. Glad its nothing serious and best wishes for your plans. 

• Like 1

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - "Muttley" (it was the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - "The Expensive Mistress"
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - "Dumbo"
Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R MY11 with Recaros - "The General"
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - "Dastardly"
[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]

Great to have you back Les, we've missed you.

I agree, time off to recharge is so important. I'm in the middle of two weeks leave right now, and I can feel it doing me the world of good.

I'm not sure my demolition of an M&S chocolate hot cross bun just now, fits in to healthy category!, but I too have lost weight and feel better for it.

Can't wait to meet up soon...there's light at the end of the tunnel, i'm sure...i've just done a car event that wasn't postponed!...in the meantime, we're always here for each other.

• Like 1

Black Pearl 2010 (60) 370Z Auto GT Pack Connect Premium - 'Cool Dad'
EBC Ultimax (slotted) front discs and Ferodo DS2500 front pads
- auf wiedersehen pet
Storm White 2014 (64) 370Z Nismo #376 - the new 'Cool Dad'

Hi Les.  Sorry to hear you've not been well mate.  It's very good to hear you're working more normal hours.  You can push it for a certain period of time but it will catch up with you in the end.

House moving and burst pipes sound familiar!

It's great you're back.  So what's your cereal of choice?! :)

• Like 1

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Z* with a plethora of minor bespoke mods'

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

10 minutes ago, Paul_S said:

Hi Les. ...

It's great you're back.  So what's your cereal of choice?! :)

All Bran, because he already goes fast enough, if you know what I mean? :drive1

...or is that too obscure?

It's a toilet joke.

• Like 1

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

Thanks guys.  I had always been so resilient but the current lockdown for whatever reason was one too many as most have struggled to a lesser or greater degree.

The breakfast cereal of choice is Weetabix or a generic version.  I have been literally only eating in the evening for years, but during the weeks off I was walking up to 120 miles a week, and listening to the pod casts on Norwich City and reading - less TV and certainly less watching the news I think helped.  Its really it seems ok to say you are not OK - if anyone feels like that, don't worry - just take some time.  

We had started to think about the "final chapter" of our lives in the first lock down, not that where we live is a bad place it really isn't but we could just not see ourselves getting old here.  We visited a couple of Norfolk Villages last August / September - Attleborough and Wymondham - one is probably more in our price range than the other,  they are about 15 minutes and 20 minutes respectively from Norwich on the train and about and hour or 40 minutes from Cambridge on the train so commutable.  The main difference could be work and feeling the need to be available all the time.  We are not in a rush - we need to find the right place, a mix of space for the cars and location to a station.  But things come along all the time and its amazing what you can get vs Cambridge prices.  But at the moment we are doing everything to get ready, decluttering, decorating, changing bathrooms and fixing stuff we have lived with for a long time.  Today we have the Environmental study done so another tick in the list.

• Like 2

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Current - 2020 (20) Juke Tekna Plus, Gun Metal Grey/Red Contrast, DCT Gearbox, Clever Little Commuter Car

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

Hi Les

I think working more than 40 hours a week for long periods of time is not good for the work / life balance especially as you get closer to retirement. 
As a contractor I have worked silly hours for the last 25 years and have just recently had a 40 hour limit imposed. 
Initially I was against this but am now finding more time to play golf or just go for a walk or just drive the GTR to starbucks during the week on what was work time. 
Cutting the hours is definitely a good thing!

• Like 2

2016 GT-R Recaro Black. Stage 1 engine and gearbox remap epic!

No 1 GT-R Black Black from Marshalls. Helmet signed by Mizuno...

Paul_S Reversing Camera - Sold.

Sept 01 2004 Z GT gunmetal Alezan gone but not forgotten

23 minutes ago, LESmo said:

Thanks guys.  I had always been so resilient but the current lockdown for whatever reason was one too many as most have struggled to a lesser or greater degree.

The breakfast cereal of choice is Weetabix or a generic version.  I have been literally only eating in the evening for years, but during the weeks off I was walking up to 120 miles a week, and listening to the pod casts on Norwich City and reading - less TV and certainly less watching the news I think helped.  Its really it seems ok to say you are not OK - if anyone feels like that, don't worry - just take some time.  

We had started to think about the "final chapter" of our lives in the first lock down, not that where we live is a bad place it really isn't but we could just not see ourselves getting old here.  We visited a couple of Norfolk Villages last August / September - Attleborough and Wymondham - one is probably more in our price range than the other,  they are about 15 minutes and 20 minutes respectively from Norwich on the train and about and hour or 40 minutes from Cambridge on the train so commutable.  The main difference could be work and feeling the need to be available all the time.  We are not in a rush - we need to find the right place, a mix of space for the cars and location to a station.  But things come along all the time and its amazing what you can get vs Cambridge prices.  But at the moment we are doing everything to get ready, decluttering, decorating, changing bathrooms and fixing stuff we have lived with for a long time.  Today we have the Environmental study done so another tick in the list.

Sounds like a great plan, Les. I lived in Norwich for 3 years and, as you probably already know, it really IS a fine city. I've grown to love East Anglia as I've got older (fewer hills). A Norfolk village could be an excellent place to live. Not far from the coast, but within striking distance of cities. Go for it!

As for working fewer hours, for the final 10 years of my working life I reduced to 3 days a week and it was much, much nicer. Retired at Christmas and man is it good!!! Everyone should be retired :)

• Like 2

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

Just before I went off I had creeped back to over 100 hours a week and while I can go back to 24 hour races and work when that was normal I was mid 30's - now I am 50 - my body was telling me off and I really had to listen too it.  I also started to wonder what the point really was, in truth I suppose you hope the planet stops spinning as soon as you cannot do the hours, but it didn't - it trundled along quite happily without me, and the fact that you are remembered by a flag being lowered for 24 hours in the front of the building doesn't make it any more desirable.  If I had done it earlier in my career perhaps it would have been a easier decision, but now its made I intend to keep doing it, I have already really adjusted my hours to commute times so the hours I am in the building are actually pretty much the same as when we finally move.  Wise words Paul_k

I didn't know you lived in Norwich Chubbs, but every word you say echo's with me.  We are season ticket holders at Carrow Road and the thought of finishing work and heading to a midweek game does appeal, as does closeness to the Broads, as well as a town filled with little independent shops.  We just need to press the button and find the right place for us.  I am willing to wait for that to appear but we know what we are looking for and in Attleborough at least there seems to be numerous of that type.

• Like 2

Hi Les. Sorry to hear things got bad for you but really pleased that you listened to your body, made some adjustments and are seeing the benefits. I learnt quite early on in my career that busting a gut is rarely rewarded so I flex when I need to but I don't sell my soul to work. Others will no doubt think different to that approach but if I stopped working tomorrow, the company I work for would just bring someone else in and service would be resumed (just a different name in a spreadsheet)! 

Anyway, keep up the soul searching since you only get one shot at this game so make it a good one chap. :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hey Les, unlike all you long timers, I'm a relative newbie here as you know but do look forward to meeting some of you one day. I just wanted to say that I'm glad you're on the 'up' and that you're one of those that I meet - you gave me a lot of assistance in my Z research prior to purchasing.

• Like 2

2017 370Z Nismo / 2020 SEAT Ateca FR Black Edition / 2001 BMW E39 540i 4.4 V8 Sport / 2015 French C1 Thingy....

On 4/6/2021 at 4:36 PM, Chubbs said:

I lived in Norwich for 3 years and, as you probably already know, it really IS a fine city.

Anyone remember "From Norwich, It's the quiz of the week - Sale of the Century!" .....?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2017 370Z Nismo / 2020 SEAT Ateca FR Black Edition / 2001 BMW E39 540i 4.4 V8 Sport / 2015 French C1 Thingy....

I am sorry Les. I missed this completely earlier in the week.  Sad to hear you’ve been under the weather. The upside is it’s made you sit back and get your ducks back in order.  Life’s too short for long days at work. We don’t live to work, we may need money but as you know your health and Cazza are far more important.  Take care Les and we look forward to seeing you both really soon.  I think the normality that is hopefully round the corner will help too xx

• Like 2

07765 406665
Infiniti FX 30d premium - loved it but now gone
QX70d S Design and owner and lovin' it - Alas, she has now gone too

350Z Chilli Red 2006, with full Do-Luck Kit and still looks as good as new!
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube

1 hour ago, Loadmaster said:

Anyone remember "From Norwich, It's the quiz of the week - Sale of the Century!" .....?

Me 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

07765 406665
Infiniti FX 30d premium - loved it but now gone
QX70d S Design and owner and lovin' it - Alas, she has now gone too

350Z Chilli Red 2006, with full Do-Luck Kit and still looks as good as new!
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube

12 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

Didn't like Nicholas Parsons in those days, but I grew to love him in his old age, as quizmaster of 'Just A Minute' - He made that show so funny. It's not the same now he's gone. RIP Nicholas.

• Like 2

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

Live from Anglia Television....  Here it is I photo'd it last October its now moved but in those days it would have come from the ol Anglia TV Building, it always got shown before we transferred to London Weekend Television (LWT)....

20201005_122346629_iOS.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LESmo said:

Live from Anglia Television....  Here it is I photo'd it last October its now moved but in those days it would have come from the ol Anglia TV Building, it always got shown before we transferred to London Weekend Television (LWT)....

20201005_122346629_iOS.jpg

I remember that slightly ugly old building so very well! Especially the time in the early 70's when Man Utd fans went from that vicinity down Prince of Wales Rd to the station, smashing any shop window they could. Never really liked Man Utd fans from that moment on.

• Like 1

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

9 hours ago, Chubbs said:

Didn't like Nicholas Parsons in those days, but I grew to love him in his old age, as quizmaster of 'Just A Minute' - He made that show so funny. It's not the same now he's gone. RIP Nicholas.

We ought to have a thread on people we loathed that we now like and another people we liked that we now loathe....

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - "Muttley" (it was the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - "The Expensive Mistress"

I first visited Norwich in the late 1960s and liked it very much. And I still think it is "A Fine City".

I did two seasons of racing at Snetterton, and lots of Rallying in Norfolk. Love the beaches on the North Norfolk coast and also did two OU Social Science Summer Schools at Norwich Uni campus (very much a learning experience!).

I'm hoping to go back again later this year, both to the coast and the city...

P.s Just recalled two teenage "lads holidays" on the Broads in the early 60s including exploring Norwich. It was Fine then too!

27 minutes ago, JohnFK said:

We ought to have a thread on people we loathed that we now like and another people we liked that we now loathe....

I used to loathe Jeremy Clarkson.

I still do.

That wouldn't fit either of your threads, would it?

Edited by Chubbs
Reason for editing - It's a secret.
  • Like 1

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

No, but we probably havent got room for all the various thread combinations.... or life expectancy...