Advertise Here

I went up to Warwick to see the parents today for the first time since Xmas - GTR looking clean and georgeous having given her a thorough clean yesterday.

All was going well and enjoying the drive until I got to the 2nd part of the Alcester bypass (a lovely stretch of 2 dual carriageways with no junctions on or off, just a roundabout between the 2). I was taking it 'relatively' steady but cruising at a decent lick and then as I came up to overtake a car on the 2nd stretch, I pulled out and put my foot down when there was a sudden loss of power. Car seemed to be staying in 6th gear and I couldn;t change down using the paddles. So I kept going for a little ways until I reached a layby and pulled in.

The error on the dash came up as T/M System Malfunction (T/M being Transmission of course) and the transmission warning symbol was amber. Anyway, having stopped, I left it a couple of minutes then re-started the car. When I did the transmission symbol had gone and I had an engine warning symbol and the advice to take the car to the manufacturer. However, I could pull away fine and still go through the gears fine.

I was virtually at my parents so I continued on and when coming home it did the same thing once more. Again, pulled over, off and on and it was OK again.

So a weird one. I'm not technical enough to know that if the transmission had gone, would it be allowing me to change gears etc normally? I'm hoping of course that it's a sensor error or the such. Phone call to Litchfield tomorrow it is then - whoop whoop!

2011 Gunmetal Nissan GTR Premium Edition - Litchfield Stage 1, Miltek Y-Pipe, Alcon Discs, Ferodo DS2050 Pads, Flat bottomed steering wheel
2016 Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - APR Stage 1 tune with High Flow air filter and Secondary Decat Pipes - I'LL MISS THE POPS AND BANGS (BUT THE NEIGHBOURS WON'T)
2012 Pearl White 370Z GT Edition - Invidia Gemini catback exhaust with burnt titanium rolled tips, Stillen Gen 3 Intake Kit, UpRev, 15mm Eibach spacers, Satin Black painted bumpers - GONE TO A NEW OWNER WITHIN THE CLUB BUT WILL BE VERY FONDLY REMEMBERED.
2005 Gun Metal 350Z GT, Alezan Leather & plenty of mods - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

No experience of the GTR mate but hope is a simple fix (or blip).  Perhaps a sensor?

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Current - 2020 (20) Juke Tekna Plus, Gun Metal Grey/Red Contrast, DCT Gearbox, Clever Little Commuter Car

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

I've no idea either. Sorry.

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - "Muttley" (it was the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - "The Expensive Mistress"
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - "Dumbo"
Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R MY11 with Recaros - "The General"
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - "Dastardly"
[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]

I don't know anything technical about R35's but an amber warning light isn't as bad as a red one!  It does sound like a dodgy sensor or something.  The fact it let you select gears suggests to me that there was something amiss with the auto mode.

I hope it's a cheap / easy fix mate.

• Like 1

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Z* with a plethora of minor bespoke mods'

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

Have heard of that a few times could be sticky solenoids, sensor or something simple, generally not serious but will probably need the gearbox pan removing. Hopefully should get it sorted for under £1500. 

• Like 1

2016 GT-R Recaro Black. Stage 1 engine and gearbox remap epic!

No 1 GT-R Black Black from Marshalls. Helmet signed by Mizuno...

Paul_S Reversing Camera - Sold.

Sept 01 2004 Z GT gunmetal Alezan gone but not forgotten

Auto torque have a very good reputation sorting GTR gearbox problems. May be worth talking to them as well. 
https://www.autotorque.net/nissan-gtr-gear-box-upgrades/

Cheers Paul, I'll see what Litchfield say and if I don't like the news, may well give Autotorque a shout :thumbs:

2011 Gunmetal Nissan GTR Premium Edition - Litchfield Stage 1, Miltek Y-Pipe, Alcon Discs, Ferodo DS2050 Pads, Flat bottomed steering wheel
2016 Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - APR Stage 1 tune with High Flow air filter and Secondary Decat Pipes - I'LL MISS THE POPS AND BANGS (BUT THE NEIGHBOURS WON'T)
2012 Pearl White 370Z GT Edition - Invidia Gemini catback exhaust with burnt titanium rolled tips, Stillen Gen 3 Intake Kit, UpRev, 15mm Eibach spacers, Satin Black painted bumpers - GONE TO A NEW OWNER WITHIN THE CLUB BUT WILL BE VERY FONDLY REMEMBERED.
2005 Gun Metal 350Z GT, Alezan Leather & plenty of mods - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

Do you know if the gearbox software was updated when the stage 1 was done?

So, whats the verdict?

I have read that some have had the same issue when hitting a large pothole. TCM reset sorted them out though.

I hope its not anything too serious though, but if I had an issue with my gearbox I'd try Andy at ACSpeedtech up in Warrington. From what I've read he's a genius.

• Like 1

Current - 2009 GTR Premium, Stage 2
Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

5 hours ago, paul_k said:

Do you know if the gearbox software was updated when the stage 1 was done?

I believe so Pau, I remember it being one of the things I checked for before I bought her.

1 hour ago, blobbish said:

So, whats the verdict?

I have read that some have had the same issue when hitting a large pothole. TCM reset sorted them out though.

I hope its not anything too serious though, but if I had an issue with my gearbox I'd try Andy at ACSpeedtech up in Warrington. From what I've read he's a genius.

Don't know yet Rob. Litchfield are massively busy. If I was just booking the car in, it wouldn;t be seen for 2 weeks. They have the car now though and are going to try and do a diagnosis in the enxt few days. So it's a waiting game for now. Good to have a couple of people to spaek with though in case of any concerns with Litchfield (who in fairness to this point have always been completely honest and not tried to get me to do work that isn't needed).

• Like 1

I hope it turns out to be  a simple fix and doesn`t scupper your CAT driver training day.

• Agree 1

Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev remap

17 hours ago, Gav C said:

I hope it turns out to be  a simple fix and doesn`t scupper your CAT driver training day.

That my friend is one of my biggest concerns. If anything needs ordering in, then the lead time could be 4-5 weeks. Which after COVID ruined my CAT trip last year, would be a proper kick in the gentlemens area. I'm still waiting for the verdict ............. :unsure:

• Sad 2

OK. Some initial diagnosis from Litchfield gives me some hope. They are going to get the front end off next week to confirm but it looks like the intercooler has deteriorated and hsa some cracks in it that under hard acceleration starve the engine and whoomph, she goes into 'help take me home mode'.

I'll know for certain next week but the cost of a new (I will of course consider upgrading it haha) intercooler is a damn sight better than a new transmission!!

Also, the CAT driver day is back on as I've been assured I'll have her back before then (phew!)

• Like 4

Excellent news, it would be rude not to upgrade 😁 

• Like 1

Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev remap

Love to have seen your face when you saw it was litchfield on the phone. 

Glad its not too expensive a fix Neil and by the sounds of it, it looked like it needed replacing anyway. Interesting that a potential boost leak has cause the gearbox to error though.

• Like 1

Current - 2009 GTR Premium, Stage 2
Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

Good news have heard of intercooler corrosion at 10 years didn’t think that would stop a gear change though. Litchfield do know there stuff. 
hope it’s fixed soon. 

• Like 1

Good news sir!  Here's to the R35 being back on the road soon, at minimal cost :)

• Like 1

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Z* with a plethora of minor bespoke mods'

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY