Got into the car earlier today, did nothing different to normal but a "No Key" warning symbol with a key illuminated. The fob was in the normal place (centre console cup holder) so couldn't see what could have caused it.

I opened the door again and shut it, jiggled the fob in the cup holder and all was good again with the "push clutch" instruction and off I went.

Any thoughts? The handbook doesn't seem to offer an explanation of that exact circumstance.

Cheers. 

Edit: Page 2-14 of the 370Z manual, item 5.  - No key or unregistered key - it was neither of those.

Possible low battery? Had that warning before and replaced them, but that didn't appear this time.

2017 370Z Nismo / 2020 SEAT Ateca FR Black Edition / 2001 BMW E39 540i 4.4 V8 Sport / 2015 French C1 Thingy....

In almost all circumstances of this warning, the cause is the fob battery. As its voltage drops, the fob will intermittently lose connection with the car. If you put the fob in the fob receptacle (in front of your right knee when sitting in the driver's seat) the warning often goes away.

Change fob battery for a reputable make CR2032.

I've had this happen and checked the battery voltage on a multi-meter - it only needs to have dropped by fractions of a volt to start playing up.

As stated on another recent thread, keep a couple of fresh fob batteries in one of the car storage areas so that if you have to use the key to get in you can always start the engine.

Jeff.

• Like 3

Fred I - 350Z 2007 Gunmetal. 6 CD changer, full leather, reverse sensors. SOLD.
Fred II - 370Z GT 2011 Gunmetal. Premium connect. GT spec. Seriously un-modified. See-through windows, and a wheel at each corner. Sold 13 July 14. Gone.
Fred III - 2014 facelift 370GT. Magma red. Reversing sensors. Invidia Gemini CBE. Sold 2 April 2016.
Fred IV - 2016 Daytona Blue 370Z GT. Reversing sensors. K & N panel filters. Invidia Gemini CBE. Full front wrap - Ventureshield II.

Yeah - Jeff's absolutely right to suggest you try the battery first - and he's also right to recommend that you use something like Duracell.

...and his idea of keeping a spare in the glove box is good too!

• Like 1

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

I've found a good place to buy batteries is..... wait for it....

Boots the Chemists !!

• Like 1

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - "Muttley" (it was the only Z in the village ....)
Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - "The Expensive Mistress"
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - "Dumbo"
Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R MY11 with Recaros - "The General"
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - "Dastardly"
[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]

9 hours ago, StormtrooperZ said:

Steering lock issue? 🤭😶

Hopefully not!

• Agree 1

2017 370Z Nismo / 2020 SEAT Ateca FR Black Edition / 2001 BMW E39 540i 4.4 V8 Sport / 2015 French C1 Thingy....

13 hours ago, Jeff-W said:

In almost all circumstances of this warning, the cause is the fob battery. As its voltage drops, the fob will intermittently lose connection with the car. If you put the fob in the fob receptacle (in front of your right knee when sitting in the driver's seat) the warning often goes away.

Change fob battery for a reputable make CR2032.

I've had this happen and checked the battery voltage on a multi-meter - it only needs to have dropped by fractions of a volt to start playing up.

As stated on another recent thread, keep a couple of fresh fob batteries in one of the car storage areas so that if you have to use the key to get in you can always start the engine.

Jeff.

Yeah, I'll get the battery changed Jeff. Because there was no key battery warning and the fact that the battery has been changed within the last 3 months I discounted that idea.

I'll replace again and hope that's the end of it!

Keyfob battery replaced - normal service resumed. 😀

I'm really not keen on this push to start lark. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chubbs said:

That's a good point. Time to remove the fuse?

Maybe - it's constantly on my mind when I push the button!

7 hours ago, StormtrooperZ said:

My advice would be to remove the fuse for sure. It's not worth the risk. 

My worry isn't the steering lock, just the whole push button system. Though I do get your point.... 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 8:19 PM, Carlton x said:

Sorry to hijack the post but it happened to me today but also the Rev match went off so i thought I’d turn it off and restart the strangest thing was it started without me pressing in the clutch , later on it went back to normal, bar the key symbol staying on , 

Never heard of that one before.

Just out of interest, did you change the fob battery?

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

On 5/2/2021 at 4:11 PM, Loadmaster said:

My worry isn't the steering lock, just the whole push button system. Though I do get your point.... 

What worries do you have about the push-button start? I haven't heard of any issues, but I may be a bit clueless.

On the other hand, the steering lock module...

...aaaaargh!!!

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

21 hours ago, Chubbs said:

What worries do you have about the push-button start? I haven't heard of any issues, but I may be a bit clueless.

On the other hand, the steering lock module...

...aaaaargh!!!

Probably none when I think about it (aside from knowing that the starting of the car depends on a key fob battery - this was the second change in 3 months!)  - it's probably the steering lock that's the main (but likely unnecessary) worry. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

Probably none when I think about it (aside from knowing that the starting of the car depends on a key fob battery - this was the second change in 3 months!)  - it's probably the steering lock that's the main (but likely unnecessary) worry. 

Did you know that if the fob battery fails you can still start the car by inserting your fob into the slot in the dashboard, by your right knee?

However, if the Steering Lock Module fails (and they do), it's often pretty terminal and very expensive.

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B