Abbey Motorsport

Tyre Sealant Expired

I noticed the other day that my wheel sealant has "time expired" this month.

Having never used or bought this sort of stuff before, can anyone recommend where to buy it at the best price? That's the main dealer out of the equation I guess!

Thanks.

IMG-20210619-WA0003.jpeg

2017 (67) 370Z NISMO - Burgundy wrapped roof - heavy tint rear screen - "Z" burgers

November 2021 - ECUTEC remap + Cobra HFCs + a few other bits

.....and a few "normal" family cars - 2020 SEAT Ateca FR Black Edition /  2015 French C1 Thingy /  2016  Aygo

Most regard the tire sealant simply as weight to carry around and would never dream of using it. Sealant was merely a requirement for cars without a spare wheel - it doesn't actually guarantee much and most folks wouldn't touch it.

Struggling to find a positive for sealant - sorry.

Fred I - 350Z 2007 Gunmetal. 6 CD changer, full leather, reverse sensors. SOLD.
Fred II - 370Z GT 2011 Gunmetal. Premium connect. GT spec. Seriously un-modified. See-through windows, and a wheel at each corner. Sold 13 July 14. Gone.
Fred III - 2014 facelift 370GT. Magma red. Reversing sensors. Invidia Gemini CBE. Sold 2 April 2016.
Fred IV - 2016 Daytona Blue 370Z GT. Reversing sensors. K & N panel filters. Invidia Gemini CBE. Full front wrap - Ventureshield II.

I got some from Amazon, cheap enough and piece of mind if you actually need to use it. A lot of negatives about the sealant is that it's runs your tyre which is just an old wives tale that the fitters use because they don't want to clean up the mess when repairing.

Trying to find a space saver kit is the better option but hard to find.

Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev remap

2 hours ago, Jeff-W said:

Most regard the tire sealant simply as weight to carry around and would never dream of using it. Sealant was merely a requirement for cars without a spare wheel - it doesn't actually guarantee much and most folks wouldn't touch it.

Struggling to find a positive for sealant - sorry.

But at least it might get you home, or to civilisation?!

2017 (67) 370Z NISMO - Burgundy wrapped roof - heavy tint rear screen - "Z" burgers

.....and a few "normal" family cars - 2020 SEAT Ateca FR Black Edition /  2015 French C1 Thingy /  2016  Aygo

2 hours ago, Gav C said:

I got some from Amazon, cheap enough and piece of mind if you actually need to use it. A lot of negatives about the sealant is that it's runs your tyre which is just an old wives tale that the fitters use because they don't want to clean up the mess when repairing.

Trying to find a space saver kit is the better option but hard to find.

I recently bought a space saver wheel, but more for maintenance purposes really. I fits nicely in the boot, bit doubt a full size punctured one would!

I had mine flagged on a service - so bought it online and have changed it a couple of times just so it didn't get flagged on the service advisories, but I would never hopefully use it, with the amount of punctures I had in a few years I would have had loads of chances.  But I still carry it.  And its still there if needed.

• Like 1

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Current - 2020 (20) Juke Tekna Plus, Gun Metal Grey/Red Contrast, DCT Gearbox, Clever Little Commuter Car

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

2 hours ago, Carlton x said:

Doesn’t everyone have a sub in there wheel well ?

Yes, but there is a kit from another car where the sub fits inside the space saver and jack, IIRC Paul S has one in his yellow Z.

Current: Metallic pearl white 2012 370z GT Edition, Invidia stainless cat back exhaust, Stillen Gen 3 Intakes and K&N filters and a UpRev remap

There was a option for a spare wheel I know a couple of people who managed to assemble the bits but I remember what was involved in trying to use it on the 350z and depending on the puncture you would have to change 2 wheels to get around the brake sizes,  

Current - 2014 (14) 370z NISMO in Storm White #229, JDM Carbon Nismo Kickplates, JDM Carbon Nismo B Pillars, Nismo Tyre Caps, Nismo Oil Cap, K&N Filters, MY15 Nismo Start Button. GT-R Dome Lens Covers - LED Lights (Interior, trunk & numberplate) - Demand Engineering Full Valved Custom Exhaust System. Custom Blank Button Delete Z1 LHP Upgraded Hatch Struts

Current - 2020 (20) Juke Tekna Plus, Gun Metal Grey/Red Contrast, DCT Gearbox, Clever Little Commuter Car

Previous - 2005 (55) 350z Azure GT Coupe, Parking Sensors, Z Tax Holder, Z Mats, Z Door Guards, White Reflectors, Z Tyre Caps, S2000 Aerial, BT Kit,

• 2 weeks later...

My dealer alerted me to this when mine first expired.  Since then I carry a generic can version which will work on any car.  I know t's not nice stuff and the chances of it being useful are a bit slim but for the sake of a few quid it might just get you out of trouble when you really need it.

Yes, I have the spare wheel kit.  I think there are a few wheels which will fit but, as Les says, it's the brake clearance that's the issue (find one with the correct stud pattern and rolling radius isn't that hard).

The wheel fits in the boot and the Bose base fits in the wheel.  You need to remove some of the additional under-floor packing to allow it to fit.

Edit: the biggest problem will be housing the road wheel (especially the rear) in the car.  I have a bag to store the road wheel in to save the car getting dirty.  Worst case scenario you have the leave the wheel under a hedge and hope no one finds it before you return to pick it up!

Edited by Paul_S
  • Like 2

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Z* with a plethora of minor bespoke mods'

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2021 at 8:09 PM, Paul_S said:

Yes, I have the spare wheel kit.  I think there are a few wheels which will fit but, as Les says, it's the brake clearance that's the issue (find one with the correct stud pattern and rolling radius isn't that hard).

Update from me - I bought a 350Z space saver wheel from a supplier on the "other Z forum" but when I went to trial fit it, the calliper got in the way! I then learnt that a 25mm spacer was required, which I now have.

Going to see if that actually works today or tomorrow.

I've got a space saver too.  Its the same part as used on one of the Infiniti cars - I bought it as such and saved a few quid.

Peugeot 205 XS : 1995 to 2002

Toyota Celica: 2002 to 2007

Nissan 350z : 2007 to 2017

Ford Ka : 2017 - 2019

Nissan 370z : 2017 -

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/23/2021 at 4:53 PM, Kano said:

I've got a space saver too.  Its the same part as used on one of the Infiniti cars - I bought it as such and saved a few quid.

Would you mind sharing where you bought your space save from?  I've been meaning to acquire one for a while but didn't get round to doing the  homework.

Thanks