Adrian Flux

Electric cars

Chilli Red

So come on then, who’s bitten the bullet and gone fully electric? Anyone?

07765 406665
Infiniti FX 30d premium - loved it but now gone
QX70d S Design and owner and lovin' it - Alas, she has now gone too

350Z Chilli Red 2006, with full Do-Luck Kit and still looks as good as new!
nissansportz.club Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Youtube

My shaver is too and has been for some time. And fast charging...

• Like 1

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - "Muttley" (it was the only Z in the village ....)
Storm White R35 GT-R MY21 Track Edition… “Fully Loaded”

Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - "The Expensive Mistress"
Vermilion Red R35 GT-R MY14 with Recaros - "The Car with No Name"
Blade Silver Juke NISMO Manual - "Dumbo"
Storm White Enhanced R35 GT-R MY11 with Recaros - "The General"
Titanium R35 GT-R MY09 Premium Edition - "Dastardly"
[Volkswagen Up! GTi, 5-door, White]

Got a couple for the grandkids takes 10 hours to charge up and lasts about 1500 m and does 0 to 3 mph in 3 seconds!

• Haha 1

2016 GT-R Recaro Black. Stage 1 engine and gearbox remap epic!

No 1 GT-R Black Black from Marshalls. Helmet signed by Mizuno...

Paul_S Reversing Camera - Sold.

Sept 01 2004 Z GT gunmetal Alezan gone but not forgotten

Perfect great to see you have all got in the spirit - obviously the alcoholic spirit 😂 

07765 406665

And for you old guys who can’t read, the title does say electric car, only PaulK answered my question, although PaulW could be forgiven as you can ride a mover but John.........I worry, please don’t try and drive you razor, could end up in tears and blood 😂 especially at your age :)

07765 406665

Just taken it out serious range problem!

AFAD9075-3DDD-4374-B551-04C3F0B8D06C.jpeg

• Haha 1

2016 GT-R Recaro Black. Stage 1 engine and gearbox remap epic!

No 1 GT-R Black Black from Marshalls. Helmet signed by Mizuno...

Paul_S Reversing Camera - Sold.

Sept 01 2004 Z GT gunmetal Alezan gone but not forgotten

Blimey Paul. Really lacking in the TLC department too! 

07765 406665

Ok, I withdraw my razor. But I do have something on wheels that is battery powered....

My Henry vacuum. Sitting on it is a bit precarious though....

• Haha 1

62/176 Ultra Yellow GT4 350Z - "Muttley" (it was the only Z in the village ....)

Champagne R35 GT-R MY15 Premium 45th Anniversary Edition - "The Expensive Mistress"

On 9/2/2021 at 7:59 PM, Chilli Red said:

So come on then, who’s bitten the bullet and gone fully electric? Anyone?

Not me. There's a lot of hype and half truths surrounding the technology currently. Even though I like the looks of some I see on the roads, it's not very practical to have to find a charging point at the moment, then sit in some God-forsaken service area for an hour while the damn thing charges. I know that the norm would be to charge it at home, but I still worry about  how long the batteries will last before you need to shell out for new ones, or sell the vehicle. I didn't get a computer until they became user-friendly. I didn't get a mobile phone until they became user-friendly and guess what...

...I'll buy the electric Z in a few years time :)

• Like 1

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

My mate has a Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor and the performance is very impressive.  The range is pretty good.  I know someone with an electric Mini and the range is appalling.

I'm not a fan of everything being on the touchscreen - you don't get any dials in front of the driver.  There are no physical switches to speak of so you have to navigate screen menus to do a lot of basic things.  The voice recognition isn't anywhere near as good as your Android or iOS phone so the whole thing seems very distracting to me.

I've never driven one but I would be interested to know what it would be like.  I can't decide if they would be exciting (acceleration) or boring (little interaction and detached) to drive. 

• Like 1

'A standard limited edition Yellow 370Z* with a plethora of minor bespoke mods'

*one of 40 don't you know!

gallery_245_77_177171.png

WARNING - DO NOT TRUST NavTool WITH YOUR MONEY

On 9/4/2021 at 8:26 PM, Chubbs said:

Even though I like the looks of some I see on the roads, it's not very practical to have to find a charging point at the moment, then sit in some God-forsaken service area for an hour while the damn thing charges. I know that the norm would be to charge it at home, but I still worry about  how long the batteries will last before you need to shell out for new ones, or sell the vehicle. I didn't get a computer until they became user-friendly. I didn't get a mobile phone until they became user-friendly and guess what...:)

Plus silent, sterile and soul-less.

• Agree 1

2017 (67) 370Z NISMO - Burgundy wrapped roof - heavy tint rear screen - "Z" burgers

November 2021 - ECUTEC remap + Cobra HFCs + a few other bits

.....and a few "normal" family cars - 2020 SEAT Ateca FR Black Edition /  2015 French C1 Thingy /  2016  Aygo

Being a child of the 60s, I think that I've seen and experienced the best years of the evolvement of modern motoring. Come the day that I'm taxed off the road in my petrol cars or by some other government pressure, then I may admit defeat.

Strangely enough, my wife and grown up kids see things differently!

• Haha 1

2017 (67) 370Z NISMO - Burgundy wrapped roof - heavy tint rear screen - "Z" burgers

.....and a few "normal" family cars - 2020 SEAT Ateca FR Black Edition /  2015 French C1 Thingy /  2016  Aygo

Very close to the heart of this topic of electric cars, does anybody know exactly what kind of vehicle will not be sold after 2030? Is it just non-commercial (ie domestic) motor cars? Will fleet cars all have to be non-diesel/petrol? What about delivery and work vehicles - small trucks, Transits etc?

The time remaining of just over 8 years seems incredibly short if we are all to be limited to buying non-diesel/petrol from then. I expect there will be great improvement in EV range by then, but there still remains the sticky issue of the used car batteries. This is going to be a tremendous challenge ecologically.

I have no issue with those who wish to go electric now, as they will know that they can work within the range limitations of the vehicles, but I see no immediate way forward for those obliged to do serious mileage every day.

And what to do about the 200,000 diesel HGVs on our roads keeping us supplied with goods is yet another subject entirely.

I think that there is room in society to applaud those who pay 3p per mile after a full recharge, but also cause for worry for those in the country for whom this simply won't work. Eight years is not a long time!

This is an interesting subject worthy of calm debate - even on a forum of this nature.

Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Fred I - 350Z 2007 Gunmetal. 6 CD changer, full leather, reverse sensors. SOLD.
Fred II - 370Z GT 2011 Gunmetal. Premium connect. GT spec. Seriously un-modified. See-through windows, and a wheel at each corner. Sold 13 July 14. Gone.
Fred III - 2014 facelift 370GT. Magma red. Reversing sensors. Invidia Gemini CBE. Sold 2 April 2016.
Fred IV - 2016 Daytona Blue 370Z GT. Reversing sensors. K & N panel filters. Invidia Gemini CBE. Full front wrap - Ventureshield II.

I have no idea what we will all be using to make our vehicles move in 10 years time but would guess there going to be several other options by then. We aren’t totally green, but this suits me for a daily drive, I can charge at work if I so choose and will allow us to travel to our friends who live some 70 miles away (roughly) and back home without having to take a top up charge. We don’t really need more than that and have options for more challenging journeys until those clever folk who do, develope better ranges.  

Interestingly I was reading today about an HGV that can do 683 miles on one charge. 

BB5E11C5-3146-4552-BE41-7C41BF6A84E2.png

• Like 1

07765 406665

15 hours ago, Chilli Red said:

I have no idea what we will all be using to make our vehicles move in 10 years time but would guess there going to be several other options by then. We aren’t totally green, but this suits me for a daily drive, I can charge at work if I so choose and will allow us to travel to our friends who live some 70 miles away (roughly) and back home without having to take a top up charge. We don’t really need more than that and have options for more challenging journeys until those clever folk who do, develope better ranges.  

Interestingly I was reading today about an HGV that can do 683 miles on one charge. 

BB5E11C5-3146-4552-BE41-7C41BF6A84E2.png

Interesting!

I searched this event and it looks like the 'journey' was on a test track, which presumably was flat? No stops, presumably no load onboard? This was done purely for the world record. I wonder how the same vehicle performs in the real world. Probably about 52 miles per charge lol. And as Jeff mentioned, what happens to all those batteries once they're kaput?

I saw a TV item not long ago, suggesting that 'spent' vehicle batteries are still useable as storage units for electricity. So we may see giant 'battery boxes' appearing in our neighbourhoods, in the near future.

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/09/02/switzerland-Guinness-World-Records-electric-truck-distance-DPD/1811630606424/

• Like 1

gallery_22_517_7955.jpg

A to Zee to B

On a related subject but slightly :offtopic: ,are we going to have progression in another area rather than electric. I keep hearing more about Hydrogen fuel gaining momentum, particular in the larger vehicle sectors. Interestingly, Hyundai sell a car that is a Hydrogen/Electric Hybrid.

Could it be a Betamax vs VHS moment? (for those old enough to remember that!)

• Like 2

2011 Gunmetal Nissan GTR Premium Edition - Litchfield Stage 1, Miltek Y-Pipe, Alcon Discs, Ferodo DS2050 Pads, Flat bottomed steering wheel
2016 Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - APR Stage 1 tune with High Flow air filter and Secondary Decat Pipes - I'LL MISS THE POPS AND BANGS (BUT THE NEIGHBOURS WON'T)
2012 Pearl White 370Z GT Edition - Invidia Gemini catback exhaust with burnt titanium rolled tips, Stillen Gen 3 Intake Kit, UpRev, 15mm Eibach spacers, Satin Black painted bumpers - GONE TO A NEW OWNER WITHIN THE CLUB BUT WILL BE VERY FONDLY REMEMBERED.
2005 Gun Metal 350Z GT, Alezan Leather & plenty of mods - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

I think battery powered vehicles are a stop gap to something else unknown, which could be hydrogen.

We, as a country are not setup for the power draw. You only have to look at the news now to see that we have lost one power station (6 months to get back) and we still get 60% of power from burning gas.....

Then you have to consider the lifespan and recycling of the batteries and what happens if they catch fire in an accident. Tesla recommend not moving the vehicle for 3 days, as this is how long the batteries can burn for.

I dont actually think the range thing is overly relevant, for me anyway. I only get 200-300 miles out of a tank before I have to refill. The issue is how long this can take and the amount of charge points. If I run out of fuel I can get a 5l container of fuel (AA, RAC or myself) and be on my way. You cant just do this with an electric car. If you out, you're out. There is also the draw when the vehicle is standing. Go on holiday for 2 weeks with a small charge left and the car can be dead when you get back. 

You just have to plan a lot more with electric currently.

I'm also not in favour of hybrid. You're either lugging heavy batteries with a small engine or pulling extra weight with batteries, just doesnt work

• Like 3

Current - 2009 GTR Premium, Stage 2
Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

I'm just hoping F1's efforts with synthetic fuel for ICEngines can be developed to mass distribution.

But will I still be driving in 2030?

Agree Chubbs, it was a test and much like the quotes the salesman give you aren’t generally real life conditions. However I would say at the moment on a car that I was told could get 256 but expect that to be more like 210 in the real world I am currently getting 300 miles, so I’m happy. I know that the cold weather will effect the battery range too so winter will show I’m sure. 

yes Neutreus, hydrogens appears to be coming up a lot in what maybe ahead of us.

Blobbish, definitely need more charge stations,  ( well I have had no issues and we have been pushing the boundaries just to see what’s what) but can see they need more.  Also they need to be both 1) maintained better, you hear of a lot being out of service and 2) managed better - people tend to park in them when they are near the building fronts when they aren’t charging, bit like mother and baby and disabled bays. I can imagine that would be most annoying if you need a charge. 

We had a non plug in Hybrid and that was great, but agree, I see no point in a plug in hybrid. No gains. My boss has one, they charge it three times a week (for 6 hours a go)  for probably about 60 miles travelling and have to use fuel too.   Not getting that at all. They love it though, so each to their own. 

On a side note does anyone know if we need to add anything to E10 or can it go straight into the tank of a 2006 Zed?

• Like 1

07765 406665

Of course petrol cars will be available for some years on the used market after 2030, but maybe that will be the time (although probably before) that the government will ramp up road tax and fuel duty to "encourage" people to go electric.

I'll be 70 in 2031, so maybe I'll have lost interest in cars by that time 😄 

1 hour ago, Chilli Red said:

On a side note does anyone know if we need to add anything to E10 or can it go straight into the tank of a 2006 Zed?

Its not like adding octain booster to the tank. One of the main disadvantages of ethanol is that it pulls in water from the atmosphere. This can then rust older cars tanks, and pull through the fuel system. I think the hoses will be OK but ethanol also causes some of the older hoses to expand, seals to split etc. It can also damage the engine if used too often.

As the Z is not used that often I wouldnt risk it. Stick with premium E5

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Current - 2009 GTR Premium, Stage 2
Current - 2010 370z Black Edition, DeCat, Milltek Exhaust, EcuTek, Custom Horsham Developments SC air 2 air, Reversing Camera, 20mm Eibach Spacers, Braded SS Brake Lines. Plus many more mods. Currently running 551/400
Black Skoda Fabia, too many mods to mention 290BHP now with the son.

13 minutes ago, blobbish said:

Its not like adding octain booster to the tank. One of the main disadvantages of ethanol is that it pulls in water from the atmosphere. This can then rust older cars tanks, and pull through the fuel system. I think the hoses will be OK but ethanol also causes some of the older hoses to expand, seals to split etc. It can also damage the engine if used too often.

As the Z is not used that often I wouldnt risk it. Stick with premium E5

Don’t appear to be any garages selling E5 near us now 

07765 406665

30 minutes ago, Chilli Red said:

Don’t appear to be any garages selling E5 near us now 

even Premium unleaded? Unleaded is E10 up here, but Premium is very much still E5.

Black Pearl 2010 (60) 370Z Auto GT Pack Connect Premium - 'Cool Dad'
EBC Ultimax (slotted) front discs and Ferodo DS2500 front pads
- auf wiedersehen pet
Storm White 2014 (64) 370Z Nismo #376 - the new 'Cool Dad'