CAT Driver Training

Creak from dashboard

I had my car cleaned a few days ago.  A high powered jet wash was used, as its been used many times before.

The next day I noticed a noticeable creak from the dashboard.

I did a Google search and there was mention of it being caused by a build up of debris underneath a bit of plastic just below the wiper blades.  The debris gets in between the plastic and windscreen which causes the creak that can be heard inside the car.

The solution, by using a high pressure hose or something thin like a credit card, was to get as much of the debris out.

I tried the credit card and there is a gap where you can fit a credit card and I could feel grit and muck underneath this piece of plastic.

I got as much out as I could, it is a bit better, but I might have to use a high pressure hose next.

Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem and if this piece of plastic is supposed to be sealed against the windscreen, which I'm guessing it should be and due to the age of my car (2011) it has come unstuck?

It will have to seal it (if it's supposed to be sealed) otherwise I'll keep having this problem.

Edited by ProfessorZ

Can you post a photo of the problem area?

2017 (67) 370Z NISMO - Ecutek - Cobra HFCs - HKS filters -  Japan Racing 15mm spacers all round - roof wrapped in Avery Dennison "Gloss Burgundy" - heavy tint rear screen - "Z" burgers - Crappy Potenzas That Won't Wear Out! 🙄

2020 SEAT Ateca FR Black Edition /  2015 French C1 Thingy /  2016  Aygo (a 50% Japanese fleet!) :)

Posted (edited)

This piece of plastic that runs along the whole of the windscreen, just below the windscreen wipers.

I wouldn't have known that it could become slightly detached and any debris can get caught underneath it.

IMG_7365[1].JPG

Edited by ProfessorZ

I think that's normal, same on my Z and Ateca.

Even so, doubt that would make a creaking noise. Are you sure it's not inside the car, some other area of trim causing it? 

2017 (67) 370Z NISMO - Ecutek - Cobra HFCs - HKS filters -  Japan Racing 15mm spacers all round - roof wrapped in Avery Dennison "Gloss Burgundy" - heavy tint rear screen - "Z" burgers - Crappy Potenzas That Won't Wear Out! 🙄

2020 SEAT Ateca FR Black Edition /  2015 French C1 Thingy /  2016  Aygo (a 50% Japanese fleet!) :)

• 2 weeks later...